19th Feb 2013, 17:01

Even though it's not the fastest V8, it is still quite durable and is capable of exceeding the 200,000 mile mark when taken care of; you may replace the timing chain or do a tranny rebuild around 170,000. All the 307's prior to 1985 did have more horsepower.

20th Feb 2013, 09:17

Your comment pretty much sums up the point trying to be made here in the past few months. Yes, these are nice cars, nicer than the Delta 88 and Caprice in the same class of that era. Yes, you could ask 100 grand for one and you could ask 10 grand, it all depends who it's worth it to. I would have to disagree about the market not being there, I believe in ten years the value for a mint condition will be a lot more. Yes, and it's too bad they don't make the LeSabre or Roadmaster anymore.

20th Feb 2013, 16:32

Yes, there were a lot of big cars after 1985, but that was the last year of the rear-drive LeSabres, and the main reason it was dubbed "Collector's Edition".

Not to say front-drive LeSabre's were bad; we had an '89 and '97, which we still own, but nothing compared to the '85 2 door LeSabre we had years ago.

3rd Mar 2013, 02:31

Do you still have parts? I need the front clip and right fender bad.

7th Apr 2013, 13:40

I wish I still had my 85 Buick. I wish I could find another one.

17th Apr 2013, 09:19

Here's the thing, I've heard of many Ford 302s and other V8s regularly going 500,000+ miles without problems if cared for. Is the Oldsmobile 307 just as long lasting? What about the other GM V8s (Chevy V8s, Cadillac V8s, other Oldsmobile V8s, etc.)?

18th Apr 2013, 07:45

If you cannot find another one, you aren't trying very hard; they are still quite easy to find just about anywhere.

25th Jul 2013, 07:09

"There will always be people who don't know the value of their car and want the moon"

Apparently the "top dollar" person (14:35) doesn't get this?

26th Jul 2013, 06:14

I don't ever understand dropping a 455 in a car year like this. And never will. What's it worth? Find an older high demand car, even a shell, and put time and money into it. How about a first or second gen Firebird? Or a Buick GS pre 72?

If anything, put a 350 in this one vs a 455. My favorite GM engine is a 60s 327 on today's gas, mated with a 4 speed. You don't always need a big block as handling and cooling can be affected. I was never a fan on a 307 motor as well.

After all is said and done, a 1986 up in my state has strict emissions to pass. I see a lot of ones modified that can't pass. That's why I buy 60s and early 70s, and get exempt and antiqued.

26th Jul 2013, 17:28

Hi there, "top dollar guy" here; if I rephrase the words "top dollar" to over priced, will that make you happy?

28th Jul 2013, 11:41

Generally speaking, the GM V8s are every bit as good as the Ford ones. People routinely get 200,000 miles plus with either the 307 or the 305 (and their permutations). The nice thing about the GMs is the transmissions are quite a bit better than the Fords, and will usually do a lot more miles without a rebuild.

28th Jul 2013, 20:09

Evidently that car was sold. Here it is 5 months later and it was never re-listed on e-bay. Maybe it sold for 10 grand, and maybe it didn't.

29th Jul 2013, 16:54

If I had $10,000 to spend on a used car, you better believe I would take a LeSabre of this vintage in perfect condition, as opposed to the generic plastic looking turtles of today.

27th Dec 2013, 17:55

The 1985 Buick LeSabre is a great car, and the Olds 455 V8 engine is very durable.

RWD are best, as the car is very reliable.

I don't think a 84-85 LeSabre sedan or coupe is rare to find like other people think.

These cars are smooth cruisers, and last a long time with great maintenance. Also most have low mileage.

Nothing ever needs to replaced, except for minor things or something that has worn out from when car was factory built. It's sad that they don't make cars like this any more. Wish GM didn't make those FWD sedans; those were nice cars, but suffered major repairs in later years and lots of recalls.

The older big floaters were so dependable. It's best to buy a 85 model; you can't beat a Buick for reliability.

28th Dec 2013, 11:45

Most of the early 80s LeSabres ever produced have alas long since gone to the crusher, and plenty of those that remain do have high mileage.

A well preserved, low mileage car of this type and this age is quite rare, and will only become more valuable.