1985 Buick LeSabre Limited Collectors Edition 307 from North America

Summary:

Bought it as a backup, now it's a daily driver. Fell in love!

Rear door will not open, inside or out.

A/C clutch.

Squirrelly intermittent wipers.

Tape player failed.

Radio interference.

Cruise not working.

Passenger window will not open.

General Comments:

I bought this car cheap... Real cheap, to use as a backup because the km on my Honda were getting high and costly. After a big tuneup, the Buick was on the road for under $2000. Despite a number of smaller issues, it is easy to forgive the car because it rides so well!

Having owned 35 cars, could this be the best one? Yes! I don't mind throwing some repairs into a car that rides so well. Very quiet, comfortable, and smooth. 20 MPG mixed driving! The seats are incredible and plush, and the interior is Sage Green. It has character, style, and charm. Passengers are blown away by the interior. Outside it's fading.

GM B and C bodies in the 77 to 85 era are winners for their ride and comfort. I've had a few versions, Impala, Caprice, Parisienne.

Review Date: 11th April, 2015

1985 Buick LeSabre Limited Collector's Edition 307 from North America

Summary:

Amazing vehicle

Nothing has gone wrong since I've had it. I did replace the bumper fillers, head liner, shocks, and a small piece of trim on the blue vinyl top.

General Comments:

The car is almost showroom. It has the original floor mats. I even have the original dealer pricing sticker for the window.

With the new Monroe shocks, it handles like a dream. The cream color exterior paint shines like new, and the interior blue velour is like sitting in the lobby of an expensive hotel.

Every power accessory works like day one.

I actually prefer driving this car over my Lexus or BMW. I park it in the garage, and have observed no leaks on the concrete.

Luckily, the only other owner was a non-smoker. What a vehicle... the pure enjoyment of cruising captured forever.

Review Date: 5th March, 2013

8th Mar 2013, 08:56

Wow, I feel the same way about my 1993 Geo Metro.

Well, except for the expensive hotel lobby part.

28th Jul 2014, 18:07

Where did you get the two vinyl top replacements?

30th Jul 2014, 13:46

Even more importantly, WHY did you get two vinyl top replacements?

24th Aug 2014, 03:21

Where did you buy the vinyl top trim? Text me at 912-996-7559. Thanx.

1985 Buick LeSabre Limited Collectors Edition 307 from North America

Summary:

Smooth Time Machine

Pretty much my first impressions of this rig.

We just met.

Typical old car issues:

- Electric rear windows don't work.

- Reluctance to open the sunroof for fear of it getting stuck (winter).

- Paint is tired.

- Radio erratic, but very low mileage.

Everything else works great.

General Comments:

For a long time I was addicted to the new car thing, had decent credit and settled into endless car payments and was happy.

I did not respect this era of vehicles, and secretly felt "above" them.

Well now, one bad business year got me out of the "warrantied labor and parts zone" and into the well-used vehicle era that my parents enjoyed. Much to my chagrin.

Long story short: once past the ego stuff, I learned to love this type of car.

My Collector's Edition:

Absolutely reliable.

Heavy, but floats muscularly.

Looks sharp and understated. Macho but cushy inside.

I love the overdrive, but mileage is not quite as good as my 82 Park Ave (350 2bbl). I always use high test gas, it brings out the best in the unit.

Like new - everything taut, quiet and straight with a nimble response at all speeds.

The dual mufflers add a wonderfully sweet note and underscore its true potential...

I notice that I'm smiling a lot when driving this pristine peak of Detroit elegance and strength.

This car is unmatched in ride and stability by newer vehicles.

My friends are sick of hearing about all the details of delight in my new infatuation. But they love to ride in it.

Fantasies of having a whole stable of these undervalued units dance through my head sometimes.

Why not? These are great cars, and I'm old enough to really appreciate the value of what a "ride" should be.

Find one. Buy it!

Review Date: 26th December, 2012

27th Dec 2012, 11:59

Wonderful cars, and this was a good review. It is nice to see these superior old cars are still making converts decades after they were built.

Just one question - did you pay much for it? Those miles are fantastic (low miles).

1st Feb 2013, 00:56

Lucky am I - my buddy felt I deserved it, due to my Park Ave attitude, and sold it to me for $1,200.

Score!