1985 Buick LeSabre Reviews

Year of manufacture1985
First year of ownership2012
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 307 Automatic

Summary:

Amazing vehicle

Nothing has gone wrong since I've had it. I did replace the bumper fillers, head liner, shocks, and a small piece of trim on the blue vinyl top.

General Comments:

The car is almost showroom. It has the original floor mats. I even have the original dealer pricing sticker for the window.

With the new Monroe shocks, it handles like a dream. The cream color exterior paint shines like new, and the interior blue velour is like sitting in the lobby of an expensive hotel.

Every power accessory works like day one.

I actually prefer driving this car over my Lexus or BMW. I park it in the garage, and have observed no leaks on the concrete.

Luckily, the only other owner was a non-smoker. What a vehicle... the pure enjoyment of cruising captured forever.

Review Date: 5th March, 2013

8th Mar 2013, 08:56

Wow, I feel the same way about my 1993 Geo Metro.

Well, except for the expensive hotel lobby part.

1985 Buick LeSabre Limited Collectors Edition 307 from North America

Model year1985
Year of manufacture1985
First year of ownership2012
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 307 Automatic
Previous carBuick Park Avenue

Summary:

Smooth Time Machine

Pretty much my first impressions of this rig.

We just met.

Typical old car issues:

- Electric rear windows don't work.

- Reluctance to open the sunroof for fear of it getting stuck (winter).

- Paint is tired.

- Radio erratic, but very low mileage.

Everything else works great.

General Comments:

For a long time I was addicted to the new car thing, had decent credit and settled into endless car payments and was happy.

I did not respect this era of vehicles, and secretly felt "above" them.

Well now, one bad business year got me out of the "warrantied labor and parts zone" and into the well-used vehicle era that my parents enjoyed. Much to my chagrin.

Long story short: once past the ego stuff, I learned to love this type of car.

My Collector's Edition:

Absolutely reliable.

Heavy, but floats muscularly.

Looks sharp and understated. Macho but cushy inside.

I love the overdrive, but mileage is not quite as good as my 82 Park Ave (350 2bbl). I always use high test gas, it brings out the best in the unit.

Like new - everything taut, quiet and straight with a nimble response at all speeds.

The dual mufflers add a wonderfully sweet note and underscore its true potential...

I notice that I'm smiling a lot when driving this pristine peak of Detroit elegance and strength.

This car is unmatched in ride and stability by newer vehicles.

My friends are sick of hearing about all the details of delight in my new infatuation. But they love to ride in it.

Fantasies of having a whole stable of these undervalued units dance through my head sometimes.

Why not? These are great cars, and I'm old enough to really appreciate the value of what a "ride" should be.

Find one. Buy it!

Review Date: 26th December, 2012

27th Dec 2012, 11:59

Wonderful cars, and this was a good review. It is nice to see these superior old cars are still making converts decades after they were built.

Just one question - did you pay much for it? Those miles are fantastic (low miles).

1st Feb 2013, 00:56

Lucky am I - my buddy felt I deserved it, due to my Park Ave attitude, and sold it to me for $1,200.

Score!

28th Feb 2013, 13:48

Great deal and what a great car. The Olds 307 may not be the fastest V8 engine off the line, but it's totally reliable so long as it's looked after. If taken care of, you should have this car for a long time.

23rd Aug 2013, 14:05

The "pristine peak of Detroit elegance and strength" was actually about two decades before this car was built.

25th Aug 2013, 16:23

You have a point, I suppose - I owned GM cars from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, and it is true the older ones were perhaps a bit more interesting and certainly more powerful. However an 80s Park Avenue, or other full sized GM was probably easier to live with on a daily basis than those older cars - very pleasant to drive, nice high gearing for the quiet, economical highway cruise, and a few other little positive innovations.

However one thing's for sure, everything's gone shockingly downhill since the early 1980s.

22nd Feb 2014, 20:36

These are the best cars ever. It's a shame that GM discontinued the "RWD" from the mid 80s into making those smaller engines. I like the 84-85 generations that are great driving on the roads. Can't go wrong owning a '85 LeSabre Collectors Edition; they are gems.