1988 Chevrolet Beretta Reviews - Page 7 of 8

1988 Chevrolet Beretta GT 2.8 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.8 V6 Automatic

Summary:

After 100,000 miles, stay away!

The Fuel Pump blew at 130,000 miles; it is an electric type, so it is hard to get to and costs more to fix than a mechanical one.

The interior is falling apart; door handles are falling off, and the headliner is coming undone.

My heater core went out at 138,000 miles, and since then my engine has been running a little hot, just a little over the halfway mark.

General Comments:

For a low-rated V6, the pickup is quite nice, and fuel economy isn't very bad either.

The bucket seats are very comfy; they hold your butt in place well at higher speeds, and interior controls are easily accesible.

Although problems are developing, do note that it is a fairly high-mileage car.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2001

1st Jul 2007, 15:12

I have a 1988 beretta GT with 236+ miles on it an it runs fine, yes the interior is falling apart. my head liner is in great shape all I need is a new dash.

1988 Chevrolet Beretta 2.8 liter V-6 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.8 liter V-6 Automatic

Summary:

This car kicks ass

The only problem I had with it was that the transmission slipped when I would go around corners. Came to find out, the previous owner hadn't checked the transmission fluid, so we put new fluid in it and now it runs fine.

General Comments:

I like this car, it also looks really cool now that it has been lowered and has had 'ground effects' put on it.

This car has plenty of power, but I would like to put one of those quad-fours in it.

Review Date: 31st May, 2001

24th Jul 2001, 20:32

I have an 1989 Beretta GT with a V6 and I'm perfectly happy? Lol why would you want to downgrade to a 4-cyl?

31st Jul 2001, 18:31

Man don't do it! The quad four bomb isn't worth taking out the tank 2.8 or 3.1 for that matter! Grasp your sanity!!! :)

18th Oct 2001, 08:17

Why would you want a quad 4, mine has a 2.8 and it cranks.

30th Nov 2001, 20:20

Quad 4!!! Ya, that's smart... Let the timing belt break in that one, if you want to put about $1800 into it, go for it. I'll stick with my 2.8 V6.

1988 Chevrolet Beretta GT Z26 2.8 from North America

First year of ownership1988
Most recent year of ownership1995
Previous carFord Granada

Summary:

A sad embarrassment to this country

The car ate alternators, batteries, front brakes/rotors.

The A/C failed twice.

The speakers buzzed after 2 years on the "top of the line" Delco EW cassette.

Went through 4 sets of Eagle GT+4 Goodyears in 75,000 miles.

Paint flaked off at 3 years old; got Chevy to repaint it for nothing.

The interior started falling apart after 5 years.

The exhaust rusted out at 50,000 miles (no snow here).

The transmission leaked at 70,000 miles, along with the rack & pinion and engine. Finally died when a main seal blew on the I-10.

General Comments:

The LAST Chevrolet I ever bought. It was my wife's car, and she was not hard on it. Turned out to be a money pit. My father had good luck with several Impala/Caprices, but the Beretta was garbage.

I had better service from my Renault Alliance, which everyone said was a piece of crap. Heartbeat of America? If so I'm goin' to Vancouver.

Review Date: 30th March, 2001

30th Jun 2001, 17:16

Well there is no such car as a gt z26...also my paint came off early too, that sucked, however, my beretta went over 200k miles and I barely put a dime in it.

31st Aug 2001, 05:04

Just curious? What was the cost of the Beretta back in 1988? I owned an '88 for over three years and I paid $2000. for it. It is just a regular 4 cylinder automatic with no options. My email address is moultonsasha@hotmail.com. I would love to know what they were worth in their day!

1988 Chevrolet Beretta Base 2.8 liter(173 ci) mfi from North America