1999 Chevrolet Camaro Base 3.8L V6 from North America

Summary:

Gives you the cool factor, but is a little pricey to maintain

Passenger window motor when I first bought it: $300.

Rear brakes.

Seats have caught "GM-itis".

Catalytic converter - $500.

Driver's side motor (doing the work myself) - $40.

Power steering pump whines.

A/C connector went bad - $240 fix.

Previous owner replaced clutch, but not the throw-out bearing, leaving the car to chirp while in neutral.

Need to shift into 2nd before shifting into 1st to go into 1st gear.

Side mirrors vibrate while the vehicle is in motion.

General Comments:

I bought this car for the cool factor, and also to learn manual with. Needless to say, it did deliver on both of those things I originally wanted. Each gear is very spaced out and shifting is made easier (better for beginners). On my first tank of gas, I did nothing but learn how to get in and out of 1st gear. At my next fill up, I managed to get 13.6 mpg. Seriously!

Anyway, the fuel economy is average for a sporty car as such (19-22 mpg). It's not great nor terrible. I was very impressed with the acceleration of the car from a start. 0-60 time is around 8-9 seconds. I have not had any problems with the 3.8L V6, it still runs strong. It really is one of the best engines General Motors ever made. Insurance is also tolerable, considering I'm a 17 year old and it is a "sports" car.

Cruising is great in this car! My model has T-tops and cruise control, so some days I just have to go cruising. It really is a head turner everywhere you go, even if it doesn't have the noise/power of a Z28.

I would definitely keep it if it wasn't a money pit, but my family can't keep affording these $500+ fixes.

Review Date: 15th July, 2011

15th Jul 2011, 11:09

Your 0-60 should be quicker than that if it's a stick V6. I guess those gears are pretty spaced out.

18th Jul 2011, 19:03

OP here.

Yes I do believe it is a little faster than I wrote. I honestly have never kept time on it, and therefore I took an educated guess.

26th Jan 2012, 08:01

Hey, I'm considering purchasing a V6 Camaro, but I am worried about the insurance cost. If you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for insurance (I'm 17 also). I hear that the V6 Camaros are good on gas, and have just enough wow factor for an everyday driver, I'm just worried about the insurance.

26th Jan 2012, 14:10

It would be quicker just to give your company a call and ask them. Even if someone responds, they have no idea what your driving record is or where you live, or how much you are driving or any other of the many factors you are looking at for insurance. I can tell you this... it will be much cheaper than a Z-28 would be!

27th Jan 2012, 00:22

"I'm just worried about the insurance."

Only 17? You probably won't be able to afford the premiums... Young driver + sporty car = big $ for insurance! Call around to get some quotes from different companies.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro RS 3800 series II 3.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

Perfect and inexpensive practice car for the V8

Catalytic converter sounded like tin cans rattling. This wasn't a problem since I wanted a straight pipe exhaust anyway.

Car needed a tune up. This is normal maintenance at 100,000 miles and was quite cheap.

Battery suddenly died one day. I replaced it, which wasn't so expensive. This was probably since it was old to begin with. Alternator is string, so no big deal.

I blew two tires, but that was partly my fault for driving so hard.

The only that did make me angry so far was that I had to replace a coil pack. At 200 dollars that was kind of expensive.

General Comments:

I love this car. It is my first sports car coupe. I think that it will allow me to be ready for the V8 in the future.

I love the handling, and at 200 hp it is quite fast for a V6.

The 3800 series II engine is award winning and very strong.

The car is not hard to work on, and when you do it is not that expensive and parts are not hard to find.

The car is easy to mod up. You can add a supercharger, headers, a cold air intake, and good aftermarket exhaust to perform better.

Review Date: 14th July, 2009