1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Brougham 5.0 Olds 307 from North America

Buy a Caprice, they're worth every cent!

Well, when I bought the car, I bought it with the intentions of restoring it, so, of course, she needs a bit of work.

First of all, when I bought her, she was idling way too fast, due to a clogged vaccuum hose, which cost me about $40 dollars all together.

Now, for the bad, the motor is on it's way out, due to worn piston rings caused by the high mileage.

The car also needs a bit of frame work up front on the passenger side where the sway bar mounts to the frame, as it rusted out, causing the sway bar itself to drop about 3 1/2 inches. I checked the rest of the frame and it appears to be solid everywhere else except for that one spot.

She also has a bad grounding wire somewhere under the dash, as she keeps blowing the tail light and the dash light fuses (another typical older GM quirk).

Another big factor with this car is RUST, and she's got plenty of body rust, mainly surface rust, and a few bubbles here and there except for one bad spot, which is the worst spot on the entire car. About a quarter of my rear driver side door is missing, as it all rusted out, leaving my body panel sticking out about an inch.

So, as you can see, she's got her fair share of flaws and typical older GM quirks, but for an $800 dollar restoration project, it's not in that bad of shape (I've seen a LOT worse out of an '87).

I'll be taking the car off the road and beginning the restoration sometime soon, plus the plans for her are just about complete so it's just a matter of time and having the right funds for the project.

General Comments:

Chevy Caprices have been in my family for years, and have been very well loved cars with us, as they've proved to be one of the most reliable and good looking cars in it's class of that era.

To this day, the Chevy Caprice still serves it's purpose just as it did back then, and are becoming harder and harder to come by.

The Chevy Caprice was so reliable that the Government officials started using them on their fleets and didn't change until the mid '90's when Chevrolet retired the Caprice. Now granted, the Police Force still used the Ford Crown Victoria back then, but a majority of the cars on their fleets were Chevy Caprices back in the early '80's and up to the mid '90's.

I've loved the Chevy Caprice since I was a kid, for their reliability, comfort and stylish looks with a touch of old school muscle.

Review Date: 29th May, 2006

30th May 2006, 23:33

Well written review! I own an '87 Caprice also, it's a great car. Good luck fixing yours up, it's worth it being a Brougham, especially if yours is solid and intact.

15th Aug 2006, 15:29

I have a 1987 Caprice 9C1, which I got in 1989. I couldn't be any happier- the car is wonderful. I have never had a mechanical repair bill of $1000. My car has been towed only twice in the last 9 years; both times were for an ignition coil. I am about to hit 275,000 miles, and I still take the car on long trips and use it to commute to work every day. I wouldn't trade my car for any other, and I don't let anybody else drive it.

Queens, NY

21st Jan 2007, 18:47

My 87 Chevrolet classic has 84 000 miles on it, has original muffler-only resonator has been removed 10 years ago. both front door seals are fading away, automatic radio antenna broke down 10 years ago, the worst part is the paint, even kept in the garage... the Florida sun has its effect on...that's all I can complain about.. just love it. Arnold in Florida.

31st Oct 2007, 05:32

Good luck with your restoration, I reckon the caprice is headed for classic status in the same way as the original mustang. One of the last generation of full size,seperate frame V8 rear wheel drive land yachts.

I dearly wish I still had mine, but just couldnt afford the fuel in the UK.

1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 5.0L Oldsmobile 307 from North America

Cadillac Comfort

Alternator died, but I don't know how long it had been in the car before I purchased it.

Had a brief charging problem due to the lack of a third belt that runs the air conditioner. It created some kind of imbalance in tension on the belt that runs the alternator.

General Comments:

This is a very comfortable car. I also own a 1990 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance, and as far as I'm concerned, my Caprice is just as comfortable and as roomy.

For a car of it's size, it also handles well. There is a great deal of body roll, but the turning circle is smaller than you might expect.

Although it's certainly no sports car, the relatively low output Olds 307 that powers the Classic has a surprising amount of pick up. I've had no trouble passing people on highways or picking up speed to merge with traffic on multi-lane highways.

In short, if my current Caprice died, I'd certainly not hesitate before buying another. Really, I think every young person should drive a car like this for at least a little while. The great rear-wheel drive land yachts are a dying breed and, in my opinion, very fun to drive.

Review Date: 10th February, 2006

17th Feb 2006, 21:32

I'm 22 and have a Caprice coupe, and I love it. You'd think for a car that size it wouldn't be that fun to drive, but it really is, it's quick, handles good enough, it's comfortable and roomy and it's always fun to see that big hood out in front of you.