1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Station Wagon 5.0 (307) regular liter from North America

Summary:

It just keeps going and never seems to stop.

The exhaust manifold is cracked so it you can really smell it when the windows are down.

It burns oil really bad, I'm talking 1-2 quarts a week, but this is after my brother replaced the valve gaskets and such.

One of the chrome sidings along the bottom rotted of.

The fender wells are somewhat rotted.

The cassette tape deck stopped working shortly after I started driving it.

The weather stripping needs to be replaced in the back window and on the driver's side.

The four barrel is stuck and doesn't open at all. Occasionally, it will open when I put my foot down, but it's going to be replaced with a 350 in the summer.

General Comments:

My dad bought me this car as my sixteenth birthday present from an old lady for $100. It is a very reliable car in the winter time and for hauling parts to swap meets.

The seats are very comfortable and I like the power seats the most because you don't have to reach under or to the side of the seat to just move the seat forward.

The gas mileage is awesome because I can go at least 250 miles and only use half a tank of gas (on the highway).

Review Date: 8th April, 2004

1987 Chevrolet Caprice from North America

Summary:

The greatest American car of all time

Nothing except the radiator needed to be replaced this month.

General Comments:

The car is great love it. If you want one you should get one. It runs better than my sons corvette. It is also faster. P.S. I beat him.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2003

1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan 305 cid V8 from North America

Summary:

A great first car

Third gear in the transmission went out at 120,000 miles and the transmission had to be rebuilt; still cheaper than new car payments.

The water pump broke at 100,000 miles.

The on-board computer is fried, but the car still runs well.

The windshield wipers will not turn off and must be disconnected under the hood.

General Comments:

This is a fairly reliable car and built like a tank.

The ride is really smooth. I can hit a pothole and hardly feel it. The interior of the Caprice is huge- it's like your living room on wheels.

The paint on my car has cracked on the top and the hood, but still doesn't look very bad. The chrome bumpers and the chrome spoked hubcaps still shine like new.

This is a cheap car; the insurance payments are almost nonexistent. On average I spend 2 or 3 hundred dollars every 6 months to have it repaired. Anyone can tell you that this is far less than the insurance and payments on a new car.

If all you want from a car is the ability to get from point a to point b cheaply then this is the car for you.

Borrow your friend's Camaro or Mustang if you're going on a date.

When this car does finally does bite the dust I will be looking for another Caprice. Since most have a resale value under $1,000 it will not set you back very much.

This car is a great bargain for a college student who is low on cash and can't afford car payments. If you're a student who is working for little more than minimum wage and would rather save your money instead of spending it all on a new car then you need a Caprice.

Review Date: 31st March, 2003

14th Oct 2009, 22:33

A good review on an excellent car, but what's with the dates comment? Ladies don't dig the Chevrolet? And while a Camaro or Mustang is more appealing, they are less practical, harder to insure, and ones of the square-body Caprice's year range are hard to come by. Personally, I would shy away from making any comments about the car's appeal to the opposite gender unless you plan to elaborate on the matter.