1987 Chevrolet Caprice Reviews

Engine and transmission 307 Olds Automatic
Distance when acquired132000 miles
Most recent distance142000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Bel Air

Summary:

I recommend it to anybody!

- New air-adjustable shocks at 132,000.

- New battery at 133,000.

- Heater switch went, replaced the blower motor and hooked it to a toggle, $30 fix total. AT 141,000.

- Power seats stopped working at 135,000.

- A/C didn't work when I got the car.

- New exhaust cat back at 137,000

- Drivers power window broke (slammed the door too hard) 138,000.

- Rear driver window stopped working, bad switch I believe. 141,000.

General Comments:

I love this car. I bought it for $500 my junior year of high school, and it's needed very little. Besides the heater switch, nothing went bad on the car that was necessary to the operation of it (need heat in Wisconsin Winters).

I won a bet that it would not start and run at -30, and it did, with a 4 bbl quadrajet on her. I drove this car every day, rain, shine, sleet, snow, it was on the road, and with the heavy rear end, could keep up with 4x4's in the snow.

The car is very comfortable as well. Rides like a caddy, has tons of room and 3 rows of seats. I've hauled 8 people, I've hauled plywood, motors, transmissions, everything with this car. It never skipped a beat.

The 307 is a good runner, but leaks and burns, as they all do. It's not built for speed, but for torque. I pulled a Honda Civic that was stuck in gear with it.

I think it's a nice looking car too, lots of wood in and out, power options galore, and an air of class you don't see much in today's cars. I could go on and on all day about how much I love my old wagon.

I've owned a 60 Bel-Air, 2 Crown Vic Interceptors, a 58 Delray, a 79 Electra, a 63 Impala and I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but no car has been like a friend to me like the Caprice has.

-Tom.

Review Date: 20th February, 2010

1987 Chevrolet Caprice Estate 307 Olds from North America

Engine and transmission 307 Olds Automatic
Distance when acquired132000 miles
Previous carFord Crown Victoria

Summary:

I'll always have a Caprice Estate, they are great for everything

The cruise control doesn't work.

The wipers only shut off if you shut the car off.

It leaks/uses oil, not sure which, maybe both.

The headliner is indoor/outdoor carpeting.

Power seats just stopped working earlier this week.

Power window on passenger side rolls down, but not up from driver's side control.

Power locks require much effort to use.

Mirrors do not adjust (vandalized).

Exhaust snapped when pulling into a parking lot. I bottomed out, fixed with a tin can.

Rear air-shocks were shot, replaced for cheap.

General Comments:

I love this car. All the problems are simple little fixes I can take care of at my leisure. I can haul parts, plywood, or 8 people, with the rear-facing seat.

It is a classic looking car, earth tone paint job, cloth interior, wood paneling, nice chrome trim, and the classic luggage rack. Perfect symbol of Americana.

Parts are cheap and readily available, Caprices were abundant in their day and all the GM small block parts are interchangeable for the most part, making these babies easy to work on.

If I could find another one, I'd buy another one. It floats down the road. It's geared very low, with a 200 r4 trans. It is fine if you don't want to go fast, and is great in the snow and slop.

If you have a chance for a Caprice Estate, or any vintage GM wagon, take the chance. This beautiful big wagons are getting rarer and rarer, but are more dependable then most of what is being built today.

Review Date: 6th January, 2009

1987 Chevrolet Caprice from North America

Most recent distance195090 miles
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

Unreliable piece of money sucking junk!

What hasn't gone wrong with this piece of junk?! It's the worst car I ever owned.

Headlight bulbs had to be replaced. Driving in a bad lightning storm, and they just burned out, and nearly left me for road kill.

Seats are wearing in, don't feel like taking a needle and thread and sewing them back up.

Head gasket cracked - 145,000 miles. (Cha-ching!)

Water Pump - 156,000 miles. (Moola gone?)

Alternator, and new battery - 172,000 miles (Ugh!)

Tie rods - 173,000 miles (Enough!)

Brake pads - 12 times since owning the car.

Brake rotors - 175,000 miles.

Oil leaking problem. (Always have to add a quart of oil every few weeks.)

Transmission is slipping (Not sure how much that's gonna cost, but not worth it, gonna junk it.)

General Comments:

Over all this is the worth car I ever owned in my life. The repair bills sky-rocket faster than a speeding bullet, and it's a never ending cycle of constant head-aches and repairs. The car is junk, the previous owner didn't abuse it or anything, the car was just a piece of crap. No clue why the police used these as their daily vehicles for the past 15 or so years. Avoid.

Review Date: 1st August, 2008

1st Aug 2008, 12:11

Your car was 14 years old and had 135,000 miles on it when you got it - What did you expect - Lexus reliability???

1st Aug 2008, 16:13

You do understand that it's a 21 year old car with high mileage?

2nd Aug 2008, 17:50

Why not buy a VW Jetta or Ford Taurus, and experience the lasting durability of these products? NOT!!!

Just be glad you bought a Chevy, it could have been a lot worse.

22nd Aug 2008, 13:42

It's a 20+ year old car, what do you expect? From the sounds of it, your car was neglected even before you got it.

16th Sep 2008, 03:27

I'm the original poster that commented this vehicle, and the car wasn't neglected or anything. It's just a piece of crap. Also I actually got rid of it last year, but couldn't select 2007 for some reason.

16th Sep 2008, 09:32

It was OLD and USED UP - what did you expect?

I'm amazed at these posts where reviewers buy old used up vehicles and then fault the manufacturer.

4th Oct 2009, 17:34

Lexus reliability is not great, and the Ford Taurus even worst, what a terrible car. I have never owned anything like a Taurus, yuk.

5th Oct 2009, 12:32

Lexus reliability is not great?

Perhaps not, but like everything else, it depends who you ask.

29th May 2011, 14:25

This is the worst car review I've ever read. Complaining of having to replace rotors at 175k miles? What you think this stuff just lasts forever? And if you're having brake pads replaced 13 times, I'd let up off that brake pedal my friend. You'd buy a Yugo with 100,000 miles and wonder why you have problems with it.

Get read. Oh and buy a Jeep Cherokee Sport. They go forever. ;)