1987 Chevrolet Caprice Canadian Model V8 from North America

Summary:

Good old american stuff

Exhaust, timing chain, blown engine - see below.

General Comments:

Dad gave me this car for the college. Didn't really need it, but hey, he was paying the bills. The car had been a taxi in Toronto, back in the days. I remember only it needed a timing chain which got stretched, and one day it started making some loud noise so I stopped and noticed the exhaust had detached, so being a kid I grabbed it to see if I can put it back in place. Got a nice burn.

The car was big smooth and comfy; now I get why that school teacher was asking me what's up with this boat. It was drinking gas like a bush plane and on snow it would drift at every turn - it had bad winter tires to it. Since we were in a city more up north in Canada, this car has seen some weather. One day we were about to travel and the temperature was -40F and -76F with the chill factor - the record for that city. We had turned the cabin heat to full cold the day before. Granted, the oil heater was plugged in all night, but the engine started without fuss. We soon wandered what was going on, why there wasn't any cabin heat. After a few miles, the brake fluid froze up so the car slid into a bank of snow. That's where we realised we were driving in polar air with the heat to Max cold LOL. Quite epic. Any how, switched the heat to Max hot, the brake fluid warmed up and the trip went all smooth. Now that's a solid car. Another time I got stuck in snow. Being a kid, I slammed the gas so hard, the speedometer needle jumped like a gymnast and felt over the max speed and got stuck there like an upside down turtle. Only to come back to life some time later.

But the best part is how I blew that engine. Another very cold morning I went to start it and gave it a little gas while turning the key. It did start, but the pedal got stuck to the floor and the engine went screaming like the Space Shuttle. Well, I had no clue what to do, so after 1-2 minutes it blew a rod. Still, I drove the car to the junkyard like that, with the rod knocking.

Review Date: 13th March, 2020

14th Mar 2020, 17:54

You're not the first kid to get an exhaust burn like that; I did the exact same thing when the exhaust fell off my car many years ago when I knew nothing about cars or life in general. Still have a scar from the burn haha. Anyways, nice review, these boxy old 80s American cars are nostalgic if anything, and great cars in their day.

14th Mar 2020, 20:35

"the pedal got stuck to the floor"

"I had no clue what to do"

Well for starters you could have turned the engine off. Probably would have never thrown a rod and went another 50,000 miles. Both 5 litre V8s used in these cars were rock solid. But not to the extent of being revved 9,000 plus RPM for 2 minutes.

15th Mar 2020, 22:20

Yep, that's exactly what I was told afterwards, should have simply switched off the engine. In fact, at the moment that was my first idea, but then I thought, if I switch it off while it's at the redline, it's going to blew. Haha, I was too young. And it did blew nonetheless, imagine, it ran at the redline on cold engine - perhaps it was 5F or so, and I could still drive it to the junkyard. How strong is that. And I feel the same, I don't know why I'm nostalgic about that car, maybe because I was young back then? Or maybe because the car was great? I think both reasons. These big cars were just great in their own way: comfortable to drive, big front bench seating three - how cool is that - and just big and comfy inside.

1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Brougham 307 V8 from North America

Summary:

They don't build them like this anymore

Side mirror, gas gauge.

General Comments:

In the family since new (31 years). Always garaged and never winter driven so it has zero rust (still has the original exhaust system!). Original paint too.

On the road, the 307 Olds engine (not 305 Chev) is smooth but sluggish. You can hardly tell when the 4 speed auto shifts and it puts modern transmissions to shame. The seating position is low compared to new cars. Handling is OK, but there is a world of difference compared to the 91-96 generation.

Review Date: 17th November, 2018

19th Nov 2018, 02:15

Pretty interesting. Your Caprice must be Canadian built if it's a sedan with a 307 under the hood. U.S. built only used the 307 for the wagons, and 305 for sedans.

20th Nov 2018, 15:06

Yeah. The distance stated in km instead of miles would make that rather obvious.

2nd Dec 2018, 13:05

Built in the USA for the Canadian market.

3rd Dec 2018, 23:37

No, they were not.

The Caprice for the Canadian market 1971-1990 were manufactured at the Oshawa assembly plant located in Ontario Canada.

16th Dec 2018, 19:22

It was in fact built in the USA. The 11th character in the VIN is X, which was the Kansas City plant. My parents ordered it new in Canada in December 1986.

17th Dec 2018, 23:44

OK I'm not doubting you. Doesn't make much sense to me when the Caprice (and various Pontiac models from that era) for the Canadian market were built in the Ontario plant for over 20 years.

Anyways that will all come to an end shortly as GM will be shutting that plant down. Another big, bold move that will bite them in the ass in the near future.