1987 Chevrolet Caprice from North America

Summary:

The greatest American car of all time

Nothing except the radiator needed to be replaced this month.

General Comments:

The car is great love it. If you want one you should get one. It runs better than my sons corvette. It is also faster. P.S. I beat him.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2003

1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan 305 cid V8 from North America

Summary:

A great first car

Third gear in the transmission went out at 120,000 miles and the transmission had to be rebuilt; still cheaper than new car payments.

The water pump broke at 100,000 miles.

The on-board computer is fried, but the car still runs well.

The windshield wipers will not turn off and must be disconnected under the hood.

General Comments:

This is a fairly reliable car and built like a tank.

The ride is really smooth. I can hit a pothole and hardly feel it. The interior of the Caprice is huge- it's like your living room on wheels.

The paint on my car has cracked on the top and the hood, but still doesn't look very bad. The chrome bumpers and the chrome spoked hubcaps still shine like new.

This is a cheap car; the insurance payments are almost nonexistent. On average I spend 2 or 3 hundred dollars every 6 months to have it repaired. Anyone can tell you that this is far less than the insurance and payments on a new car.

If all you want from a car is the ability to get from point a to point b cheaply then this is the car for you.

Borrow your friend's Camaro or Mustang if you're going on a date.

When this car does finally does bite the dust I will be looking for another Caprice. Since most have a resale value under $1,000 it will not set you back very much.

This car is a great bargain for a college student who is low on cash and can't afford car payments. If you're a student who is working for little more than minimum wage and would rather save your money instead of spending it all on a new car then you need a Caprice.

Review Date: 31st March, 2003

14th Oct 2009, 22:33

A good review on an excellent car, but what's with the dates comment? Ladies don't dig the Chevrolet? And while a Camaro or Mustang is more appealing, they are less practical, harder to insure, and ones of the square-body Caprice's year range are hard to come by. Personally, I would shy away from making any comments about the car's appeal to the opposite gender unless you plan to elaborate on the matter.

1987 Chevrolet Caprice 2 door 305 4bbl from North America

Summary:

A work horse and then some!!!

I had the 4bbl. Rebuilt at 160k, was bogging down.

Both p/s hoses at 161k due to small leak.

New radiator, belts, and two new tires at 170k. That is it.

General Comments:

The 1977-1990 Chevy Caprice IS the best car GM EVER built. I bought my 1987 2 door for $1700. It is the last year for a 2 door Caprice with only 3110 made. I love it and now want another 2 door car. Thank You Chevy!

Review Date: 28th November, 2002

23rd Sep 2008, 02:15

Should I buy one for $1300???

1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Brougham 305 from Finland

Summary:

Junk beauty

TH700 failed at 145 000 ml.

Radiator is leaking.

Carburetor leaking.

Cruise control failed.

Vinyl roof is cracked.

Power steering failed.

A/C failed.

Leaks oil.

General Comments:

Really beautiful car. Turned out to be junk after I had bought it and drove it a bit.

Review Date: 28th May, 2002

8th Dec 2003, 00:53

Man, its only got 145k on it. That's low for a Caprice. Fix all those little problems (much cheaper then buying a new car) and you'll have a car more reliable and durable then anything they make today.

7th Feb 2004, 06:27

I owned my ‘88 Caprice four years, 165,000 miles, replaced exhaust, alt., starter, breaks, tires, rear control arm, and shocks. Mostly wear parts, understandable for a 17 year old car driven in Canada through winter road salt. I commuted 200 miles for 1 year with 2 other 200lbs men, carpenter’s tools, etc., about 800lbs weight. I just took it of the road because the chasis is rusted out. It has 500,000 miles. If I could I would contuse to drive it. It is the best car ever made!