1989 Chevrolet Caprice Reviews - Page 2 of 7

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Brougham Sedan LS 5L V8 from North America

Model year1989
Year of manufacture1989
Engine and transmission 5L V8 Automatic

Summary:

Greatest car I've ever driven

Windshield wipers sometimes will not turn off. I have tried replacing the windshield wiper motor, but that didn't fix it. It must be in the wiring somewhere.

The wiring around the motor needs replaced. I have already rewired half of the car, but there is a lot more to go.

The dash is cracked and needs replaced.

The paint has started to wear off. I'm getting a paint job soon before the roof rusts through.

General Comments:

This is pretty much an all-purpose car. I take can it out joy riding and even on vacations.

It has a ton of trunk room for suitcases or whatever else you want to put in there. It gets good gas mileage when you're not stopping and going. That makes it great for going long distances. The seats are also comfortable enough to sit in for the hours that it will take you to get to your vacation destination. Don't plan on many stops. With its gas mileage and its huge fuel tank, you will rarely stop for gas.

The gas mileage while you are joy riding is very different from the gas mileage you get when you're on the highway. Other than this one downside to taking it joyriding, this car is great for joyriding. It handles the curves well. It stops very quickly (this has saved my life twice). What really makes this car great for joyriding or even mud-riding is its power. I can take this car places that some trucks can't make it. I've got witnesses if you don't believe me.

I love showing this car off. I will probably continue showing this car off for many years because it is very hard to dent up. Other than the wiring which is bad, this car is one of the most durable vehicles I have ever seen.

This is also one of the safest vehicles I have ever been in. I don't have proof for this statement, but the car seems to give me a great sense of security. I feel safer in my car driving down a busy highway than I do in my house with all the doors locked and the guard dogs watching.

There is one thing I would like to complain about, though. If you ever tear something up on a caprice, it's nearly impossible to find a replacement part. It usually takes about six months to find one.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2005

13th Dec 2005, 15:20

Your review is excellent. I understand you completely. I own the same exact car and it rules. You can junk all the new stuff for this.

24th Dec 2005, 20:33

I have a 1989 Caprice LS. My wipers act funny too, but it's still a great car.

11th Jan 2006, 17:46

I agree the Chevrolet Caprice Classic is a great car. its very reliable and only has basic breakdowns. it is one of the last steel cars so it should be safe.

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon 5.0 V8 from North America

Model year1989
Year of manufacture1989
Engine and transmission 5.0 V8 Automatic
Previous carBuick Electra

Summary:

The Most Versatile Car I Have Ever Owned

Needed new brakes.

Exhaust.

Cruise control inoperative.

One window does not work, rear gate window almost shot.

Temp gauge is either hot or cold, there is no middle ground. This probably happened when they put the aftermarket CD player in. I had no control over this, as it was done before I bought it.

Some of the power locks don't lock automatically, you have to push them down.

General Comments:

This has been one of the best purchases I have ever made. It is our 2nd car, so we only use it a couple of times a week. But, when we do, it fires up right away, and has been a godsend for all the work it has done for us. It is amazing how, 1 day, I can carry 8 guys to the Phillies game, and, the next day, I can carry all of the wood to build a new deck. This was my first wagon, and, it will not be my last.

Since we have owned it, we have used it to move 6 different people into new homes. It's amazing how versatile it is. I'm a big fan of cruise control, and, I wished it worked. But, I hear it is expensive to fix, so, I leave it be.

It is so roomy and comfortable, and I love how powerful it is. I glide down the road with no shakes in the steering. It truly floats.

All of this things I listed above are very small complaints about a car that has been very good to us. We'll keep it until it is too expensive to fix, and get something else. We will donate it to Purple Heart, so, someone else can enjoy it. This engine won't die.

Review Date: 16th May, 2005

19th Aug 2007, 19:29

We have had our wagon for a little over 2 years now. We bought it used at a dealership for $1100 it was and still is the best car we have ever owned. The power steering went out for a while, I completely lost reverse for a while and the engine leaks oil. But you know the car still runs great. I am currently in high school and it is the most unique car in the parking lot. Everybody knows my car. It has a roof rack/helicopter pad; it is a blue Woodie; and I have an after-market tachometer and exhaust on it. It is such a strong car. we backed into a tree and it only left a minor ding in the rear bumper. I am right now looking into buying a Caprice Sedan same year as mine right now (1989). With the same motor our wagon has (305). I know this car will be as good to me as my wagon has been the past 2 years.