1989 Chevrolet Caprice from North America

Summary:

Practical, fast and bulletproof reliability!

I replaced the water pump at about 150,000 miles.

I replaced the starter at about 165,000 miles.

The alternator was replaced at 170,000 miles.

When I sold it, it was rusting pretty bad. It was driven in many Wisconsin winters without ever being in a garage, so that is to be expected.

General Comments:

I purchased this car at a state auction for $4600 dollars. It was formally a highway patrol vehicle.

Very good low-end torque, lots of grunt off the line! Just a short screech from rear tires and I was pushed back in the seat at launch. When it approached speeds of 50 mph. or higher, it seemed to start running out of breath. Off the line was this cars sweet spot.

Thanks to the "cop" suspension it cornered flat and stable over smooth terrain, but the solid rear axle had some issues with wheel hopping on rough surfaces.

It's ride was comfortable, albeit firm, with a roomy cabin and spacious trunk.

Fuel efficiency wasn't too bad at about 20 mpg. city and highway combined.

I miss that car!

Review Date: 14th May, 2004

3rd Jun 2004, 11:50

I wrote this review, and I forgot to mention something about the engine. This car had a 350 (as opposed to a 305) because it was a "cop" car. This engine was not offered to the general public (although it should have been).

28th Aug 2004, 21:57

I own a 1990 caprice classic with 193000 miles on it. I have a love hate relationship with the car. I love the ride, space and safety of a big car, but I hate the look of it (rust. I have has a few small problems that were fixed over the years however things are getting worse and I fear I have to replace my beloved caprice. I was really hoping to make it run until 200,000 miles.

9th Mar 2005, 12:47

March, o9,o5 Glad to see others enjoying what I can't get tired of driving. The 89 caprice I own has the police package as described above,350 5.7 motor still runs strong at 232,000 miles. Most reliable car ever. As for the looks, what can I say, pennsylvania winters, drove it coast to coast, at 202,000 it towed a ford ranger full of tools 1,500 miles. At 227,000 miles it took me on vacation 3,000 mile round trip and averaged in the low 20s in per gallon fuel consumption! If anyone encounters the problem in wich you turn off motor when hot and it won't restart (acts as though getting no fuel, but starts fine after it cools) try replacing ignition control module and ignition coil.

2nd Sep 2005, 22:51

I noticed one comment said that the cop 350 was not offered to the public. This is not true. In 94-96, you could buy a brand new caprice with the police package straight from a dealer.

29th Oct 2005, 18:45

In "1989" the 350 was NOT available as an option!

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 305 TBI from North America

Summary:

This thing is a beast, fast and comfortable

Since I bought the car in 1999, I've replaced the exhaust system twice (I live on the ocean).

The A/C compressor died around 175,000 miles. The rear end was leaking oil around then, but was an easy fix.

Other than that, it's just been expected maintenance.

General Comments:

With almost 200,000 miles this car still runs as strong as it did when new. It doesn't burn any oil.

It is FAST. I can't believe the speedometer only goes to 85, because it does far past that, without strain.

It's the most comfortable car I've ever been in, and is fun to drive. It has no power options, but is a longer lasting car for that reason.

I have no doubt that my next car will be another late 80s Caprice. I would love to get my hands on a 2 door.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2003