1989 Chevrolet Caprice classic 5.0 FI from North America

Summary:

I hope to own the car for years from now

The exhaust has fallen apart on me.

The fusible link corroded and broke.

The tie rod became weak on me plus needs a alignment.

The dash split, and the speedometer cable needed replaced.

The alternator, starter, and radiator had to be replaced.

Paint has faded considerably.

General Comments:

This car I have had for 9 years and has been a strong car.

The inside is comfortable and roomy.

It did sit for the past 5 years, but came back to life recently.

Still has decent power, needs fuel injectors cleaned out too.

Most people who own this car think the valve guide seals are gone, but if you clean out the valve area full of carbon, you might fix a blue smoking problem. So next time you're told you need valve guide seals or piston rings, see hoe much carbon and sludge has built up in your valve area, and is holding oil.

Review Date: 28th January, 2008

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 305 5.0L V8 from North America

Summary:

Beautiful/fun/work horse/great/reliable/lots of power

When I first got the car, it needed new exhaust manifolds on both sides of the engine block. Other than that, are no major problems with the car.

General Comments:

This car is just an awesome piece of machinery.

It is my transportation, my pick up truck, my date car, and my hot rod all in one.

I love driving this thing its got full bench seats front and back, I got the car from a family member who drove it over 200,000 miles and this thing still runs like new.

I haul everything from contracting equipment to Christmas trees in it.

I have no complaints about the engine, its powerful and can haul anything. When I go camping in the winter, I usually hook a heavy trailor to it. It still has no problem accelerating up hills.

This car is very reliable and safe. Its basically a tank with a lot of power under your foot.

Review Date: 10th October, 2007

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Brougham LS 5.0L V8 from North America

Summary:

A great all around car

The transmission had to be replaced at 100,000 miles. The throttle valve went bad, and I decided to have the whole thing replaced.

I rebuilt the throttle body at 130,000 miles.

General Comments:

This is a great all around car. It's a big car, but it's not too big and mushy riding like other luxury cars. It handles great, has good performance for highway driving. This car is a perfect 10 for driving long distance.

The only down side is it needs a bigger motor, say like a 383. That's my next project.

Review Date: 24th December, 2005

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Estate Wagon(wooden) 307 5.0 Auto OD from North America

Summary:

A reliable gigantic gas eating machine

Exhaust was replaced (sounded very cool before it was fixed).

Some new tires and alignment.

Steering wheel started to come loose, was tightened, wasn't cheap.

Starter was replaced (solenoid gone bad).

Rear window mechanism isn't made very well, mine has scratched the window and has rendered the rear defrost useless.

The more aggressively you drive it, the more oil it will leak and burn, however it does stay pretty moderate (one quart every 2 weeks approx).

Serious lack of power from a 5.0 engine, the 307 apparently has the worst power per displacement ratings of all time.

It loves gasoline (14mpg when in need of a tune up)!!

Supposedly the transmissions have some issues with wandering in overdrive.

General Comments:

Very enjoyable ride, I would highly recommend this car for trips or to float down the road in wooden style. Power seats work well and the bench is very comfortable. steering feels detached (you can maneuver the wheel with your knee easily). Great for carrying lots of friends. careful parking this car, its very large. Very dependable. If possessing wooden qualities, this car will enhance your image significantly.

Review Date: 23rd November, 2005

24th Nov 2005, 13:27

I don't know what you're used to driving, but the 305 is very quick on acceleration in these cars. I drive somewhat aggressively and don't have any issues with the motor. It was used in many other cars through the 80's so it was more than suited to these cars. I find the engine to be perfectly adequate. The V6 is the underpowered motor.