1989 Chevrolet Caprice Reviews - Page 5 of 7

1989 Chevrolet Caprice 305 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 305 V8 Automatic

Summary:

A solid, smooth riding, and affordable vehicle

There have been a number of things requiring work on the car.

I first replaced the sway bar, which had rusted and broken.

I have had new front pads/rotors installed.

I also had new front rotors and brake pads put on; the pads had worn enough so that the rotors were damaged.

General Comments:

The car could use more power, I have measured the 0-60 at 16 seconds. I have to attribute this to age and wear, as the car seems simply "tired" as a result of it's age. If the car were new or engine were rebuilt I would imagine that probably 6 seconds could be cut off that time.

The car is amazingly roomy and has plenty of space in the trunk and in the backseat.

This car has a smooth ride that is unmatched by most vehicles on the road today.

Review Date: 17th March, 2003

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 9C1 5.7L V8 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 5.7L V8 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Lumina

Summary:

The sleeper super car

Most of the things that have gone wrong with this car have been interior electrical items, like the windshield wiper selector switch.

The water pump did go out at about 120,000 miles. This has been the only major repair item.

The body is a little rough, with some rust spots in areas.

General Comments:

Quoth the Blues Brothers: "It's got cop suspension, cop brakes, cop tires..."

It's roomy, fast, comfortable, reliable, and unstoppable.

Designed to jump curbs if necessary.

Review Date: 18th February, 2003

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 5.0L L03 V8 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 5.0L L03 V8 Automatic

Summary:

Spacious interior, unmatched reliability, and loads of V8 torque to back it up

When I got the car, the power antenna didn't work.

Also, the resonator is rusted out due to sitting in a garage for 11 years.

General Comments:

This car is incredible. I got it from my grandfather last year. You might think that as a teenager I would want a Mustang or something like that... no way! This car has no modern equal. There has never been a more practical vehicle. This car has a ludicrously huge trunk (even with the full size spare in there), an incredibly roomy and comfortable interior, dual bench seats, power antenna, power windows, power locks, power trunk, and more than decent power from the Chevrolet 305 cubic inch L03 engine. The fastest I've pushed this beast is 0-60 in 8.96 seconds (after cold air intake and a throttle cable adjustment). All of my friends love the car, especially the ladies. I constantly hear things like "Wow this car is so cool! I want one too!" and "This is the most pimped out car in the school." Might be because everybody loves chrome. All I really did was put in a new sound system...

As running costs go, parts are cheap and I haven't had to replace anything, but the antenna so far. The only reason this car got an 8 instead of a 9 or 10 is because of the gas mileage. But anyone who owns one of these classic cars knows that owning one is well worth the price of gas.

In conclusion, whether you're looking for a family car or a project car, the Caprice is the answer.

Review Date: 10th November, 2002

29th Jul 2003, 15:07

Your 89 Caprice sedan is just a baby with the 48K miles you say it has on it, I got mine in 89 with the same engine as yours, but it had 7K on it and have happily got 24+ mpg since then. My dear boat though is showing its age now with extensive rust at the fenders and at the windshield gasket. It was never garaged. Presently it has over 333K and I would buy another in a heartbeat. Like you shortly after getting it the power antennae died, but I disconnected it leaving it up because sometimes it would drain the battery. Word of caution there's a Torque Converter Sensor my mechanic disconnected because the car was hiccuping real bad terribly, it fixed it. This is one problem the computer codes dont find. May you enjoy yours for many miles to come.

1st Jun 2004, 08:30

Just thought I would add something regarding your torque converter problem. I have an 88 Caprice Classic Brougham, which had the same problem. The TN200R4 transmissions have a TCC solenoid which locks the transmission into direct drive @ 35 mph. These will tend to freeze and not unlock causing stalling when you slow down to idle. It is a relatively easy fix for a competent transmission shop (@$100).

As far as caprices go I cannot say how much I love my boat! Read this forum and then check out the Honda and Toyota forums (both of which I have owned). While they are good cars I don't see the same level of satisfaction as B-Body caprice owners. I will own one for the rest of my life and see a LT1 9C1 in my future.

21st May 2005, 22:01

I had a 1996 9C1 I purchased at a dealer for $10,000 back in 2000 with 90,000 miles in 4 years I put another 175,000 miles on it and did nothing, but a transmission. I sold it like a dummy last year for 2500 and is still running, but I have yet to replace it with anything close. Excellent cars.

25th Dec 2012, 17:25

Hey man, where did you get the power antenna replacement?