1989 Chevrolet Caprice Base sedan 5.0 liter V8 from North America

Summary:

Unbreakable, unkillable road monster

Coolant temperature sensor and MAP sensor needed to be replaced upon purchase due to "check engine" light being on. This cost $60 total and no problems have occurred since then with the car.

General Comments:

This is without a doubt the most reliable car I have ever owned. I bought it with 134,000 miles already on it, and have since added 13,000 miles to that total, with only one repair needed that whole time. I've driven the car 60 miles a day back and forth to work, and it has never let me down.

The Caprice is powerful and rides smooth, the way a traditional big car should be.

This car has so much room it's insane. You could live in this car. The trunk could hold a small grocery store. And the seats feel like you're driving your living room couch.

This is not a race car, but over distance will beat almost anything on the road I've run across in a road race.

Fuel economy, as one would expect, is horrible. The car makes OPEC smile. But this is the only negative point I would have about it.

The styling of the car is clean, simple, devoid of tacky chrome or unneeded ornamentation.

Overall, this is a comfortable, fun car to drive that is incredibly cheap and easy to own and maintain, and will never leave you stranded. It's easily the best car GM ever made.

Review Date: 10th September, 2004

1989 Chevrolet Caprice 9c1 5.7lof from North America

Summary:

The greatest car ever

Rear end fluid leaked out around 100,000 and had to replace the driver side axel and starter went out at 75,000 and water pump at 110,000.

General Comments:

If you have a caprice 9c1 any year keep it there a very good car.

Review Date: 5th August, 2004

6th Aug 2004, 09:43

If "there" so great, why did you keep yours for less than a year??

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic from North America

Summary:

Caprice Classics are very safe and reliable vehicles!

Well the blinkers broke, so we fixed them. We Had the replace the muffler, and the brakes. We put new spark plugs on it like twice, but nothing major went wrong with that old car in the 5 years that we had it. The exterior handles all got broken, but you could still open the door. Then the interior armrest/handle got pulled of by a friend, so you had to roll down the window to shut the door. The drivers side window fell out of its track when you rolled it down, but we fixed it. Oh ya and the windshield wipers had to be rigged up by grandpa.

General Comments:

I loved this car, it had so much character. For example, my older brother backed it into a light pole in a parking lot, so a big dent was born. My sister got rear ended and the other car was like smashed in the front, and our car had a little dint in the bumper. The handles were very tricky, and keys were not needed to start the car. Even if you had keys they were so worn down you could take them in and out of the ignition while it was running. The window, and windshield wipers had to be rigged up. The car just like glided over bumps like a boat on water and drove really nice! I had always thought it was indestructible and I felt invincible in it! Until this summer it met its fate. My little brother swerved to miss a dog and flipped into a telephone pole, breaking it into 3 pieces, and the car landed on its wheels, still running, he turned it off and luckily got out and ran across the street. When BOOM! the car blew up! because the gas line had broken and spilled gas on the ground and the electric lines were in the gas, which ignited the flames. And if it wouldn't have been for the fire the car would be as good as new, just a few more dints and a bent hood.

Review Date: 30th July, 2004

5th Jan 2009, 01:01

What was the fix for the turn signals? I'm looking at buying one of these with dead turn signals right now.

What was the steering like?