1996 Chevrolet Lumina V6 from North America

Older now of course - but if you find one in good condition, it can be a great first car

Normal upkeep mostly. The original transmission lasted until about 2011, and then we had it replaced. The car already had over 200K miles on it at that time. It has overall been a reliable car, though the brakes have always been on the slow side, and we've had consistent troubles with the neutral safety switch and the coolant sensor, both of which we have replaced several times. We've driven it across the country multiple times, spent time in tropical and snowy regions, and the Lumina handled all terrain and surfaces like a champ.

Unfortunately, my Lumina is at the end of its life. It was doing great and we took it to a new mechanic for an oil change (we will do that to test people out before going to them when we need something larger). Our old mechanic was fantastic and treated our car like it was his own. But we moved and needed a new one. This guy sabotaged my car - we found proof - and I had three major system failures the week they did the oil change. Turns out they put a hole in the transmission pan with a screwdriver and a number of other things so we'd have to spend money there fixing all of this. Screw that!

I will miss my loyal little Lumina.

Review Date: 9th September, 2015

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 6 cylinder from North America

Very reliable, comfortable, low maintenance

Non-start with no electric.

General Comments:

This was easily my lowest maintenance vehicle. I had it for 15 years and pumped relatively little money into it. It was comfortable as well as reliable.

Even with the 6 cylinder, very low on power though. No problem getting up hills, but you wouldn't want to pull out into fast moving, heavy traffic without a significant space cushion.

It did develop a slow oil leak somewhere after 100,000 miles, so I had to keep an eye on that. Around the same time, if you were in stop and go traffic on a hot day, the temperature gauge would make you nervous - it would almost be pinned.

In the end it would randomly fail to start. Might have been something electrical, as turning the key resulted in no response, not even the gauge lights, but again at that point the car had a lot of miles on it.

Review Date: 16th March, 2015

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 3.1 V6 from North America

A solid car that will never let you down

Battery at 140,200 miles.

Drive belt at 151,650 miles.

Front struts at 156,300 miles.

General Comments:

Very good car all around; very quiet, fast, handles well for me, and is fuel efficient; gas mileage ranges from 27-30 mpg.

I want to say few mechanical problems, but it is fine because I have had the car for 4 years, and put as many miles on it as I have, and it has been really reliable, and still runs the same as it did when I purchased it.

Review Date: 17th March, 2011

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Base 3.1 V6 from North America

Good for a first car

After I first bought the car, I had regular maintenance on it; battery, belts, tires and oil change.

Had to get a new alternator at 75,000 miles.

The engine started knocking real bad at 85,000 miles and would not go over above about 30MPH. That lasted about a month, and I was going to get rid of it because of that problem, but it stopped by itself, and I never had that problem again.

At 98,000 miles, my engine seized up, and I would have had to get a new engine. So that's when I got rid of the car.

Never got it over 100,000 miles.

The paint job on this years model was extremely bad! It chipped off almost 75% of the car.

The heat and air conditioning went out at about 78,000 miles.

It rusted easy.

General Comments:

I called my Lumina the "tank/snow plow/race car."

It handled very well in the snow and I'm talking about 8+ inches! Never got stuck in the snow the six winters I drove in that car.

I had hit a deer going 60MPH, and all I needed was a new headlight and hood.

Got rear ended 3 times, and never had any major damage. At speeds of about 5MPH, 10MPH and 30MPH.

For a bigger car, it was fast and was comfortable.

A lot of trunk space and leg room in the back.

Review Date: 27th January, 2011

28th Jan 2011, 17:28

My first car was a '97 Lumina LS, but I bought it back in 2001. I had it 4 years, and traded it with about 137,000 miles. All I had to do was put an alternator in it in the time I had it. The transmission was getting hard to shift in cold weather, so that may have become a major issue. Towards the end of my ownership, I was very bored with the car. I now drive Buicks, and like them a lot more.