1996 Chevrolet Lumina Base 3.1 from North America

A good, reliable, easy to drive car

Nothing as of yet.

Oh wait. That pull out single cup holder kind of blows...

General Comments:

I bought the 1996 Chevy Lumina as a car to get me through the winter season. It was under $700, had decent tires, and most important, the heat worked. I figured it will have to last just long enough to get some cash saved up to get a newer car.

The Lumina has a pretty good sized dent in the hood, the rocker panels are pretty much toast, and the rear fender panel on the driver side is rusted through right above the wheel.

Other than that, the body doesn't seem in too bad of shape. When I bought the car, it had just over 200,000 miles on it. I was a little nervous about this, but I figured it would just have to last me through the winter. My work isn't but a few minutes from my house, and other than that, I just don't drive a lot anyway.

Well enough with the brief history of the car, time for the review.

Its been over a year, and I still got it, and other than basic maintenance, I haven't had to do anything but put gas in it. It runs like a champ for having now over 250,000 miles, and still has a ton of life left.

I have the base model with the 3.1 that is actually pretty decent on gas, and an automatic transmission that still shifts really smooth.

The interior is pretty rough, but it is really roomy and comfortable on the occasional long trips I take.

Being front wheel drive, it doesn't do too bad in snowy conditions either.

I have really only had one problem with it, and it has been the cup holder. It is too large for most cup sizes, especially coffee, which I like to bring with me on my way to work or whatever, and it really seems kind of flimsy, like it's going to break at any moment. But that is the only thing I could think of that I would really change about the initial design.

Review Date: 20th October, 2010

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Base 3.1L from North America

Will eat your money in repair bills

Haven't had the car but only 4 months, and boy have I been sold a lemon!

1) Cooling fan not turning on. Mechanic says the computer is not communicating with the cooling fan. Didn't have computer money, so we wired the cooling fan to turn on as soon as you start the car. It now runs the entire time the car's running.

2) Tires can be easily worn down and bust if you like to turn corners quickly.

3) AC and heater will only blow out defrost.

4) Rear window defroster isn't working.

5) Had to pay a mechanic to re wire all my lights. I had brake lights and turn signal lights that would not turn on.

6) Cooling reservoir had rusted looking water inside it. Had to get a coolant flush.

7) Check engine light recently turned on. EVAP problem. Something to do with the gas tank releasing toxic fumes in the atmosphere.

8) EGR valves were clogged, check engine light came on for that.

I mean for 4 months of ownership, this is ridiculous. Problems, problem, problems.

General Comments:

I really do like the ride, very smooth ride. Large vehicle so it's safer. Very fast engine, great for passing. I like it, just don't like paying a mechanic!

Review Date: 19th October, 2010

12th Dec 2010, 20:33

AC and heat blowing out the defrost is a simple fix. On mine is was a vacuum hose that came unhooked from its reservoir in the driver's side fender. Coolant flushes should be done anyway to prevent the dirty water.