1996 Chevrolet Lumina Base 3.1 V6 from North America

This has been a very good car for me

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

The '96 Lumina is a white-bread family sedan; there is nothing particularly offensive or interesting about it. It is roomy and the 3.1 V-6 is powerful enough and gets 19-21 in town and 29-30 on the highway. I ordered every option on mine, and it has the sport suspension with 16" alloys and handles well. The interior has held up well, the sound system sounds good, and controls make sense and are easy to use. I've been doing some more highway driving recently and it is like sitting on a sofa and rolling quietly down the road. The front seats are not especially comfortable.

Review Date: 16th November, 2008

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 3.1L from Kuwait

I like and I hate you!!!

OK. Let me begin with this...

It was a car that made me feel bad, since I wrecked, repaired and sold it, and since even after the repairs it never quite really drove the way it did before the accident that occurred on that fateful day.

Over the course of 2 years that I had owned the vehicle, I had put in almost 300/-K.D. in repairs, since it was not covered under any warranty by the dealership, being a 10 year old+ car when I bought it.

At about 192000 km, the indicator flashers went out.

The black cooling rod just in front of the engine casing corroded due to rust, thus overheating the engine of the car. Replaced through dealership. Cost 25/-K.D.

The fuel pump broke down at a busy traffic signal, had it towed to the workshop. Total cost to replace and repair the pump 22/-KD.

The head gasket blew out at 208000 km. Cost me 50/-K.d. to replace and install the same.

The head gasket AGAIN blew out at 213000 km. Cost me 120/-K.d. to replace and install the same, including removing the clogs in the radiator and flushing the entire engine cooling system with anti-corrosion chemicals.

The car was backed into by a irresponsible teenager cruising at over 200 km in a red Corvette. My car spun around 4 times before grinding to a halt, and in the process the entire wheel bearing in the right rear just separated from the car, taking the tire along with it. The rear right door had to be replaced as a result of a direct impact from the other car. The entire repair job of replacing the door, wheel bearing, new tire and tire rim including a rear side paint job cost 120-K.D.

After this episode I sold the car as it had a very loud noise from the steering column, caused by the impact of the accident. Entire new steering column had to be replaced, which I didn't have interest nor the money to do so.

Apart from the above headaches, the car on the positive side had ample space to fit my small family of three, and huge trunk space to fit almost anything. Excellent A/C even in 45 degrees plus heat of the Middle East summer.

General Comments:

All in all, I love and hate the car at the same time. Not sure I would buy another Lumina of the same model ever again, but I should say the newer Luminas arriving now in the Middle east market are mostly produced in Australia, so their quality and performance is yet to be scrutinized by the auto experts, unlike mine, which was wholly and solely made in Canada.

Review Date: 28th October, 2008

31st May 2014, 17:03

Wrecking a vehicle is very hard on the car. Shockwaves are sent throughout the entire vehicle, and can damage or weaken many parts. Even if the body shop can make it look nice again, the interior damage can be extensive. It's not necessarily the model's fault if it doesn't run the same again.

26th Aug 2014, 06:20

FYI, all the above repairs on my car had been done prior to wrecking it. Post crash the only repair jobs done on the car were a dent and a paint job.

Thanks and good day.

27th Aug 2014, 23:21

I agree with the May 31 poster. The car was totalled, so it can be really difficult to repair absolutely everything to perfection afterward. For the most part, however, the problems listed are wear and tear items and are likely due to age and mileage in a lot of cases.

21st Oct 2014, 09:47

I am sure that compared to a Japanese sedan that ran as long as my Lumina did, it would have been lighter on the pocket owing to its reliability factor!