1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 6 cylinder from North America

Comfortable car, but having tons of problems before 100k miles!

Purchased it in late November 2009. Had 72k miles. Belt tensioner and serpentine belt went out not even two months later with little use of the car.

The day after Easter this year, the head gasket blew before we even got to 74k miles when it had been sitting in the driveway for 4 days.

General Comments:

I have yet to decide if I'm keeping the car after repairing the head gasket -- even though I'm still paying on a 3 year note for the piece of crap. I might have to sell it for less than what I paid for it.

Last time I'll buy a GM product older than year 2000, because the orange antifreeze GM previously used in their new vehicles corrodes the head gasket.

Review Date: 30th April, 2010

1996 Chevrolet Lumina from North America

Average car

The car was good and reliable up until about 100,000 miles.

Replaced the front and rear brakes, battery twice, rear tail lights, starter, alternator twice, radiator, and water pump.

Brake lights would stick on, causing the battery to drain on numerous occasions. The dealer notified me that it was all my fault for having a thin plastic race pedal covering over the brake pedal. Once the plastic race pedal was removed, the brakes continued to stick. The dealer notified me that it was all my fault again, because I have a habit of pushing the floor mats up underneath the brake pedal, forcing them to stick.

The car left me stranded twice with a problematic alternator.

The fabric attached to the ceiling was unattached immediately after purchase, and hung low disturbing my passengers.

The radio buttons failed to illuminate. Changing the fuses did not correct the problem.

When the water pump went at 122,000 miles, I finally traded it in for a Kia.

General Comments:

Had very nice high quality fabric in the interior.

Was a large car and felt safe. Very roomy interior.

Attractive exterior appearance.

Okay radio. Okay gas mileage.

Started having too many problems after 100,000 miles.

Review Date: 10th February, 2010

10th Feb 2010, 12:48

My Lumina only made about 43,000. Had an engine failure right about then.

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 3.1 V6 from North America

Amazing machine, LOVE IT!

Nothing really except in 2003 we had to swap the block, because something happened I don't really remember.

And just recently I blew an oil pan gasket, but that comes with mileage.

And also the Lumina LS is notorious for having strange brakes...

General Comments:

This car has a lot of get up and go for a 13 year old Chevrolet. Was moms car, now it's mine, and I love this car!

Review Date: 5th October, 2009

5th Oct 2009, 20:37

I sincerely hope you have better luck with your Lumina than I did with mine. It decided to throw a rod after 61,000 miles. I guess the 4 years of meticulous maintenance it received from me just weren't enough.

13th Nov 2012, 09:28

Looks like he already has - look at the mileage.

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1 from North America

Reliable, cheap, good transportation

Those who had the car before me replaced the ignition coil packs.

The water pump went at 120,000 (only cost 18.00 for a new one, though).

The drivers door lock doesn't unlock with the power lock (will fix it soon).

General Comments:

I got this car for 500.00 in 2008. It isn't the prettiest thing, but it was cheap.

After driving it for a few weeks, I started to like the car. It gets great gas mileage 21 city, 29 highway. It has a lot of room, it's comfortable, and reliable. At 131,000 miles, it runs quite well. The exhaust is still fine, the body is in good shape, the motor and transmission are working well too.

I never thought I'd love owning a Chevy, but because of my experience with this Lumina, I'm getting another Chevy next... New Camaro, Impala or Malibu

Review Date: 15th May, 2009

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1 from North America

Excellent domestic product. Go GM!!

Intake manifold went at about 140K.

Alternator shortly thereafter.

Corrosion in the fuse box caused brake light circuit failure at approx 165K. This was probably worsened by the over-salting of the roads here in Ontario.

Somewhere in the 200's the gas tank started to leak and was replaced.

Water pump at 300K.

Transmission did the car in at about 320K.

General Comments:

An excellent car. Generally very easy to work on and parts were cheap and easily accessible. The waterpump, for example, I replaced at work for $60 CAN in about an hour.

The car probably would have lasted longer if the transmission fluid and filter had ever been changed. We were really waiting for an excuse to get rid of it.

Review Date: 23rd February, 2009

1st Aug 2009, 12:27

Oh, this is in kilometers. It didn't actually go that far in miles. That's actually a really short life when you compare it to a Honda or a Toyota.

25th Oct 2012, 14:08

What's your point? I think it is just fine when you compare it to the used car prices of a Toyota or Honda. (Oh, that's right! Your preferences are obviously the best way to go!!!)