1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.1 from North America

Summary:

Chevy Malibu's are the worst

Malibu's are the worst car in the world.

I bought this car in Feb. 2010. In March 2010 it started running hot. I thought I got it fixed, but it came back 2 months later.

I've replaced the water pump, the radiator, I've even taken out the thermostat.

I replaced the reservoir, because the top wouldn't stay on. And now it's back to running hot in less than a month.

My advice is to not buy a Malibu (99). I hate this car. I should have bought a car on credit. And when it starts running hot, it takes it upon itself to cut off while sitting in the middle of traffic, under a traffic light.

STAY AWAY FROM CHEVY MALIBU'S. I wish I would have read the reviews before I bought one myself.

Review Date: 26th August, 2010

5th Nov 2011, 04:27

Sounds like your fan is out!

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1 from North America

Summary:

Would love to have a newer version

I got this car from a dealer with 33k on it.

When I first saw it, the right front was damaged. I told them if they fixed that, I would buy the car. Deal, bought the car in 2000 with the 33k on it.

Since most people here have complained about brake etc, I shall not. I have done my brakes several times, but then I am hard on brakes for I drive fast.

I guess the worst is I have had to have the intake done twice. First time lasted about 3 years, then the second time just a year. Took it back to the guy; he fixed for free. Now I never pay what I have seen listed here for repairs, this guy did it for 300 per time.

My wife had her brakes done on her car at one of the retail shops. All I wanted done was a bleeding, they came back with all things wrong; needed brake pads, rotors were bad, 2 calipers were bad. Well I told them to bleed the brakes, and I would take the car. You see I had just done the brakes, and they thought that being female, they could get more out of her.

Well back to Malibu; I really like the car, it has major get up and go. I have the issue with the AC switch, just too lazy to fix it. Found a new one for 100 bucks.

Horn just went out, along with the Cruise.

General Comments:

Well overall I think I got a real good deal. When I was paying for the car, I didn't have any unnecessary repair bills.

The car starts every time I need it, I have driven all over with no issue. Would take it anywhere.

I will always by US built. I want to keep every dollar I can here to make us stronger.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2010

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6 from North America

Summary:

Good car, repairs needed occasionally

Replaced head gasket, coolant was leaking.

A strut broke, ruining a tire.

Rust buildup/corrosion around rims made tire leak. I had a complete flat once.

Check engine light was on for a while, don't remember what we did to fix that though. Reset it? Not sure.

General Comments:

Despite the things that have gone wrong with this car, I got it when it was already ten years old. I think it is doing great.

The head gasket thing appears to be a common problem that Chevy should have under control by now.

I love my car a lot, and plan to have it for at least 4 more years (if not more). There are problems with every car... this one is no exception.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2010

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1 liter 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Do not buy -- Horrible

You have to be specific with the make/model of the car. I understand it's the 3.1/6 model that has all the problems.

Everything has gone wrong, and my brother is a certified mechanic (so at least labor and parts are cheap for me - but even he is amazed by how bad this car was made). Fuel pump, fuel filter, manifold gasket, brakes, ABS, starter, cam sensor, crank sensor, wiring harness, and now the alternator and battery, anti theft system, power steering.

This car is horrible - I have had used cars all my life, and never run into a car this bad.

It has stalled while driving, nearly causing accidents (cam sensor/not started because of anti theft system/not stopped cause of brakes and not started or died while driving due to alternator /battery problems). It has also stalled when at stop signs or at low speeds (also really dangerous and seemingly a common problem).

I also had idle motor issues when the car would not stop - idle was at full, had to use emergency brakes and slam into park to stop - idle motor was stuck and needed replacing.

I would not ever recommend this car to anyone - I can't afford a new car right now (and currently can't drive this one as it won't start yet again - I had it for 6 months and have been able to drive it for 6 weeks intermittently).

I have looked all over the web, and all these problems seem inherent to the 1999 Malibu.

General Comments:

Do not buy the 3.1 6 of the 1999 Chevy Malibu - I used to believe in American made only, but this car has really changed my mind - they have no customer support, refuse to acknowledge known issues, and are no help at all.

I will buy imports from now on.

Review Date: 16th March, 2010