1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3.4 DOHC V6 from North America

Summary:

Sharp car, but stay away from the 3.4L engine... NOTHING but problems!!!!

At 89,000 dual mufflers had to be replaced to pass inspection. $179.99.

Inspection cost me 155.00 due to a worn out front right ball joint.

It has developed a vacuum leak... this causes it to idle very roughly when cold. It likes to rev itself between 2500 rpm and 900, almost stalling. This leak also caused the HVAC system to stick on feet/defrost. Annoying, but not really a big deal, but keep reading.

Something is wrong with the cooling system... I can't figure it out. It began overheating a few weeks ago and we replaced the thermostat, and it seemed to fix the overheating problem for a while. Then, on my way to school, it began overheating again. I pulled over and let it cool completely and made it to school when it was almost overheating once again.

Then, at the end of the day, I started my Monte and my "low coolant" light was on. I opened the hood to find there is NO coolant in the overflow tank and very little in the radiator, and a big green puddle underneath my car. I decided to try to make it home. Well, one of my friends told me to try turning on the air conditioning because that would turn the fans on, thus helping engine stay cool. It did keep the engine cool for most of the way home, but now since it has a vacuum leak, IT'S NOW STUCK ON AIR CONDITIONING! It's December in northwest Pennsylvania. :(

After a half hour of searching under the hood, I found the leaking hose, waaay down at the bottom of the compartment, close to the bottom of the engine. I could only see it with a flashlight, so I can't figure out any way to replace it without pulling the engine.

So I bought some bar's stop-leak stuff and added that to the radiator. Well, something caused this leaking hose to burst, and a few minutes after that happened, steam began coming out of somewhere in the radiator (the engine was NOT hot!)

General Comments:

This is my first car. I loved it up until about 3 weeks ago. Now every time I drive this car something goes wrong. It just turned over 91,000 miles. It's simply unacceptable. It's like Chevy planned everything to go wrong at 90,000 miles. Every time I fix something, something else goes wrong. My car now sits in my driveway until I have enough money to take it to a mechanic, which I have a feeling won't be cheap...

Do yourself a favor, and STAY AWAY from the 3.4L V6. It is extremely hard to work on, and from what I've read, labor costs are high due to the crowded engine compartment.

I loved the power and sound this engine made when it ran right. I love the comfortable seats, the nice sounding stereo, and the way this car handles. My car is bright red and with alloy wheels, it is a very very sharp car. People are amazed when I tell them how many problems I'm having. They find it hard to believe such a nice looking car is such a heap of junk.

As soon as I fix ALL the problems with this car, I am planning on selling it. I cannot afford the way this car breaks down literally every week.

The problems with the cooling system on this car continues to puzzle me. If anyone has any ideas on what is wrong, PLEASE let me know!! mmltml@aol.com.

Review Date: 10th December, 2008

23rd Mar 2014, 10:34

Remove the passenger side tire & rubber shields... you will see a metal hose and a bracket, and the leak. Cut the steel hose on both sides of the bracket... replace it with a rubber heater hose!

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z-34 3.4L from North America

Summary:

Lady Killer in Red, Cool first car, Suprisingly no problems (yet)

In spite of what people are saying about this car on this site, I have not have had a single problem.

The brakes have always been a little spongy, but I've gotten used to them, and it's no longer a concern.

General Comments:

This is my first car. I bought it for $3,500. The person I bought it off of took excellent condition. He bought it brand new and he wrote everything down in a little notebook that he ever did to the car.

I love the power of this car. Passing power is superb. I love the subtle growl from the dual exhaust. The handling is also good. Through corners, it stays well planted with little body lean.

The interior is nice. The vinyl on the passengers side of the center console is beginning to peel. The seats are really comfortable, but I wish they had more side bolsters to keep you in place during hard cornering. This car would be absolutely perfect with a sunroof.

Good sound quality from the factory system. Suprisingly good quality from the tape deck (I use a cassette adaptor to listen to my iPod).

The engine compartment is crowded, to say the least. I hope I never have to replace the rear 3 spark plugs. I heard you have to tilt the whole engine forward just to get to them? That's brilliant engineering right there!!

Nevertheless, I feel like a million bucks in my bright red Monte Carlo! I get stares all the time. Take care of your Monte, and it will take care of you.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2008