1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z-34 EFI from North America

Summary:

I love my Monte even with all the work

Power seat does not work.

Top of rear leather seat is splitting in the middle.

Driver's window does not go up tight.

There is one rust blemish just below the fuel door, which is common for many Chev models.

Brakes are not very good and goes through rotors like crazy.

Water pump replaced.

Replaced 1 rear strut mount replaced.

Both front wheel hub assemblies replaced.

Replaced 1 ball joint replaced.

Signal switch replaced as it caused the brake lights not to work.

Had to replace a coolant hose that goes around to the back of the motor. That was a pain to get at.

Replaced 1 tie rod.

Replaced plugs and wires at great expense and time.

Replaced both mufflers.

General Comments:

This car is quick, comfortable and fun to drive.

However if you cannot fix it yourself it will cost you serious money to keep on the road.

The car does not hold it's value, so I picked it up cheap and have done all the work myself. The only expensive things were the wires and the signal switch.

All work on the 3.4 is labour intensive. Strong, powerful drive-train, but preventative maintenance needs to be kept up or it will fail.

Review Date: 11th November, 2005

28th Apr 2006, 12:33

I have now done the alternator twice first one was faulty and had to be replaced 3 weeks later. Ball joint on the other side. Another set of rotors. I have found buying good pads and replacing the rotors with cheap ones ($25 each CDN) every 6 months is the best way to make this car stop. They are infamous for not stopping. The inlet casting for the coolant split, had to be replaced $30 part. No too much else to report on this thing. Going in for paint next month.

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3.4 DOHC from North America

Summary:

I loved the car and I am going to buy another one

I had to replace the plugs and that was quite expensive and required a good amount of work. The heat hand did not work and the car ran hot on me one day and the engine shut off and that messed up the head.

General Comments:

I loved my car because it was fast and handled wonderfully. It had excellent start off speed and top speed. I got my Monte Carlo up to 135 on the interstate.

Review Date: 9th November, 2005

18th Nov 2005, 18:23

I agree with your ratings, very sporty and reliable car. Mine is also a 95 Z34 very fast and handles excellent with plenty of room for five adults. I would highly recommend this car and would own another in a heart beat.

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3.1L from North America

Summary:

Great car... until about 110,000 miles

Transmission went out around 45,000 miles.

Power locks went out around 100,000 miles, I could lock the doors with the remote, but only unlock the door with the key.

Center console lid broke around 100,000 miles.

Switch for automatic seat broken so seat position can no longer be adjusted around 100,000 miles.

Starter replaced at 115,000.

Two new water pumps installed at 120,000 and 125,000 miles.

Exhaust leak in engine around 115,000 miles.

Power window started getting stuck when going up and down. This was result of a bent bar in the door frame. No impact to the door ever, not sure how this happened. Motor/regulator for driver side power window then burned out. Fiddling with the controls after this burned the switch out. Prior to these troubles, the driver side control switch would sometimes get stuck.

Oil leak in engine around 125,000 miles.

Rear-view mirror on windshield fell off.

Engine Sensor malfunctioned around 120,000 miles causing the rpm of the engine to change wildly before car stalled out. Problem reoccurred 2000 miles after sensor was replaced and continues to occur every 6 months or so. Problem not diagnosed.

Car sometimes won't start. I'll turn the Key and nothing will happen. If I let it sit for 20 minutes, it will work again. This happens about every 3 months.

Leak in coolant lines around 120,000 miles.

Engine noises since 127,000 miles.

Leak in windshield wiper fluid around 130,000 miles.

All this is in addition to normal maintenance such as changing plugs, wires, engine gasket, muffler, brakes, etc.

General Comments:

Car ran great aside from the transmission going out at 45,000 miles until about 115,000 miles. Car ran smooth. The ride was comfortable. After that, many problems have crept up making maintenance very expensive. Interiour items, power seats, locks, windows seem fatigue prone. Electrical problems in engine near impossible to diagnose. My opinion is this is a good car to own until about 110,000 miles. At that point, get rid of it. It just isn't reliable enough after that point.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2005