1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3.4L DOHC from North America

Summary:

High Performance Street Machine

Air Intake Manifold Gasket 100,000

Transmission 112,000.

General Comments:

I highly recommend this vehicle! I've been driving this vehicle for over 10 years with very little maintenance problems. The 3.4L DOHC engine provides amazing power and the front wheel drive is awesome during winter driving conditions. This car handles flawlessly on the highway and side roads. The performance of this $19,000 vehicle (1995: Cost Estimate) compares with some of the German performance cars I have owned.

Review Date: 28th October, 2005

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z24 3.4 from North America

Summary:

Very sleek and good looking

First it was my front strutts. then came the computer in my car followed by my ABS brakes, now my egr valve is leaking and my rear strutts are shot. my rear brakes are gone and I could go on and on and on!!!

General Comments:

The car is very sleek and looks good going fast, but there could be better warranty with the car.

Review Date: 15th August, 2005

14th Nov 2005, 10:47

If you want that kind of warranty buy a KIA or Hyundai.

28th Aug 2006, 21:30

This car is obviouslyly not for you if you want a "great" warranty

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3.4 from North America

Summary:

Great, but I am looking for the rear wheel drive v8 in the future

I have replaced the alternator (2002), water pump (2005), transmission (2004) and have to again because DJ Transmissions did not do their rebuild as well as they could have - 1st winds out and locks and third slips up until you are above 50 mph, next is to update the suspension 8/05.

General Comments:

I am having a lot of fun with the car. It is starting not to be above average for hp for a 6 popper, but can hold it's own. It is a 3500 lb car not 4500 so for the hp it can go pretty good.

I have a model that has everything that the year came with which is why I buy used cars instead of new. 20000 seems a little insane to me even though that is the norm for a new car now a day.

I am a maintenance nut so I do a lot of work to it to keep it tip top. The only thing I am disappointed in is the trany because the chop shop that rebuilt it won't stand by the crap rebuild they did.

I am please with the 24 mpg that it gets. I have put a lot of miles on in 3 years so I am good.

Review Date: 25th July, 2005

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3.1 from North America

Summary:

I believe it to be one of the nicest cars ever built by General Motors

Most normal things that can go wrong with any car you own except for a couple items.

I had to replace the alternator.

Ran a little on the hot side and found that the thermostat needed to be replaced.

The drivers side window will sometimes not close and reason is still unknown.

GM made a distributor hole in the 3.1 engine and although not used, the seal will leak a little oil and need to be replaced.

The front bumper plastic grille opening buckled for no reason and plastic chrome trim there has peeled a little. No reason for this and think GM should replace.. but they won't. (what ever happened to real chrome and metal)?

General Comments:

This car is very comfortable with leather seats. I have driven and sat in Lexus seats that weren't any better. Has a very rich feel to the interior.

The car handles very well and even more so since I changed the stock LS size tires to the larger Z34 tires and handling is even better now.

Review Date: 19th July, 2005

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3.4 Liter from North America

Summary:

Reliable, but not worth the money

Power steering hose busted and melted my shifter cable, 3 vacuum hoses, and both of my heater core hoses.

Weird clunking noise when you go over bumps and rail road tracks.

Power seat stop working mysteriously.

General Comments:

Great car none the less.

Review Date: 7th April, 2005

29th Sep 2011, 20:09

That clunking could be a ball joint or CV joint.

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 V6 3.4 from North America

Summary:

A money grubbing, well put together hunk of junk

Since the first week I had the car, things started to go terribly wrong.

I noticed a clanking noise like a rock in a tin can when I drove it. I went to get it checked out and the mechanic said that the filter in my catalytic converter was hard and I needed a new one. Thinking I would come out cheaper just to go to an auto parts store to get it and pay the mechanic for just the labor was a BIG mistake.

The car still burned gas heavily and the engine made the whole car shake whenever I accelerated. Also, my RPM was going up to 4. Other than that, it was fine to drive...Until, a couple of months rolled by and I found out I needed another Catalytic Converter because the one I thought I was saving money on was too small and it was burning cherry red. They also told me I might need 2 fuel injectors, but needed to put it on a machine to be certain... I passed.

When the winter came, the car began shutting off when I put it in park, sometimes not turning back on until I let it sit for a while.

One day while driving, I noticed that I had no heat and that my car was smoking under the hood. Turns out, I needed a water pump because antifreeze was leaking and spraying into and onto the engine.

Now I'm at another loss because the car is not accelerating properly (after stopping at stop signs and/or lights, the car only goes 10-20 mph tops before kicking into gears) and this time they said it was the transmission. The transmission people said it was the catalytic converter blowing exhaust back into the engine, and the catalytic converter people say it's fuel injectors, two cylinders in my V6 are bad, I'm only running on four and I need another (you guessed it) Catalytic Converter.

Costs:

Catalytic Converter#1- 45 dollars

Mechanic to fix it- 50 dollars.

Catalytic Converter#2- 125 parts and labor.

Water Pump- 65 dollars

Mechanic- 50 dollars.

Major Tune up- 135 dollars.

Estimated cost of Fuel Injectors, Catalytic Converter#3 and labor- 480 dollars.

Estimated Cost of PRNDL clutch and Torque Converter for trans- 300 dollars.

Review Date: 19th March, 2005

21st Apr 2005, 16:46

That's a shame that you think it is a poor car... I myself own one and I think its the greatest car I have ever owned... i keep the oil changed and have regular tune-ups and the only think I have had to replace in the past 4 years I have owned it is a set of spark plugs and the tires... i myself give Chevy a big thumbs up on this car! and would recommend it to any of my friends!!

4th Jun 2005, 23:29

MY two year ordeal with a 95 Z34 Monte Carlo resulted in 4 new fuel injectors, timing belt, timing belt idler pulley, power steering pump, power steering high pressure hose, power steering pulley, alternator, an oil leak that couldn't be found also the transmission was slipping. I let the bank take it back.

14th Nov 2005, 11:05

First of all if you don't notice 5 plus liters of coolant has leaked out of your car, you should not be allowed to drive. Second when you overheat your car because you run it out of coolant to the point where it is smoking you will have all the problems that you have described. Water pumps fail. It happens with all makes and models. The 3.4L is a well built motor, just hard to work on. In other words the things you are complaining about are your own fault. Take better care of your vehicles so in future we all don't have to endure your whining.

2nd Jun 2006, 19:25

It sounds like the valve body has gone bad. My Z34 ran rough, would shake, bang gears, not shift right, rev like a banshee and driver's side window would not go up. Whenever there is something wrong the driver's side window stays down. Fix the problem and the window goes up.

28th Mar 2012, 16:48

I was thinking of buying a 1995 Monte Carlo Z34. But the guy says it has no brakes.

It has the 3.4 engine in it. It rides good, and the oil looks good. Also the transmission fluid looks good, and it shifts on time. It has 166,000 miles.

I don't know if I should get it with the brake issue?

20th Jun 2012, 10:42

Hell ya, that's right, take care of your car a little better.