1986 Chevrolet Nova Limited Edition 1.6 from North America

Loveable car

Front/rear brakes, gas tank/filler neck, all fuel lines, exhaust.

General Comments:

I haven't owned this car very long, but I do have a few things to say.

It is an all around good car.

It's pretty peppy for a 4 banger. The 1.6 is quicker than all 3 of my Plymouth Reliant 2.2's.

But in-spite of all that, I've had it 2 weeks and it's in the shop right now. I'm doing all the work on it in my auto tech class. Well I brought it in because I had got 3 tickets; loud exhaust, unsafe tire, and speeding :<

Anyways, my fuel gauge started acting up and I had a fuel leak, so I dropped the tank to fix it, only to my dismay, to find lots and lots of rust. My filler neck had holes the size of golf balls in it, and my fuel lines were so brittle, they broke right off the tank. Well I tried to order the new parts like the filler neck and the sending unit like piece (with no fuel pump, that's under the hood on this car), only to find out the Limited Edition on the side of the car means rare, hard to find parts. Napa, AutoZone or Parts America had the parts I needed, and I have to go through a dealership for the parts. Despite all that, I still love this car as of right now. C'mon, I bought it for a hundred bucks after dumping thousands into my last 3 K-cars. And it did sit in my friend's yard for like a year and a half with NO gas in it, so fuel system problems were expected. <3rd owner>

Review Date: 3rd March, 2004

17th Mar 2004, 09:51

Your's sounds like a Twin-Cam model. Exceptionally rare indeed! I'm looking for a Nova 16-valve DOHC. If you want to sell it or know of where I can find one, please let me know. I have a standard 1.6-liter 8-valve for now. Thanks.

1986 Chevrolet Nova CL 1.6 cc from North America

Most economical car imaginable

Headliner, replaced three times.

All four struts, replaced every 30,000 miles.

Valve seals, replaced at 120,000 miles, did not remove the head to replace seals.

Clutch, replaced at 130,000 miles.

Timing belts and other standard maintenance on advertised schedule.

Color has completely vanished from many of the interior trim components.

A/C compressor replaced at 300,000 miles.

Radiator replaced at 330,000 miles.

General Comments:

I have done all the maintenance on this care myself, it is easy to repair and the most reliable vehicle I have. The car still gets 30 miles to the gallon and has only failed emission test once because it needed a new catalytic converter. I still drive it daily to work. It has many battle scars on the paint and body. The car still performs well enough to be fun to drive.

Review Date: 16th December, 2002

1986 Chevrolet Nova 1.6 liter from North America

This car is a great bargain and very reliable

Some of the interior trim is discolored/fading.

The clear coat on the roof is peeling badly.

The black "paint" around the right rear window is flaking off of the frame.

I had to replace the clutch and the two front axles while on a cross-country trip. (Total cost $930.00)

There are various interior rattles and squeaks (old age!)

General Comments:

I paid $575.00 for this car to replace my previous two-door 1985 Toyota Tercel.

This car's miles are mostly highway miles. The original owner had an 82 mile daily commute 3 to 4 days a week - with 1 or 2 days each week commuting a total of 470 miles!

The owners son-in-law did the routine maintenance - oil changes every 2500 miles.

This car is currently using about one quart of oil every 3000 miles! (Still tight!)

This car is really a Toyota Corolla with Chevy badging! (Uses Toyota "Springer" body sheet-metal instead of standard Corolla body work.)

Obviously owner maintenance has contributed to the car's longevity - but I love Toyota reliability and this had 4 doors and air conditioning.

I get an average of 31 miles per gallon for fuel consumption.

Review Date: 12th August, 2002