1997 Chevrolet Silverado Reviews

Year of manufacture1997
Most recent year of ownership2012
Most recent distance195000 miles
Previous carToyota Pickup

Summary:

Best truck on, or off, the road!

I experienced the same hard shifting between 1st and 2nd gears as many of the other reviewers mentioned. Not just hard shifting, but slamming between gears. This happened on day 3 of owning the truck. Dealer told me it was a sensor in the transmission, and all it took was $1100 to fix it, but I haven't had a problem since.

Inside door handle on drivers side quit working as soon as I got the truck in my driveway for the first time.

Had to replace the water pump after 1 week of ownership.

2 alternators so far.

General Comments:

Thought I got a bargain when I purchased the truck, but after sinking in close to $2000 in the first month, I was obviously not very thrilled. Ever since then this truck has been awesome!

I did have the same steering issue as many of the other posters shortly after I got the truck, very tight, but then just cuts loose. I have not changed anything related to the steering, and have not experienced this in at least 5 years. Just fixed itself I guess.

The truck is very comfortable to drive or ride in if you are in the front seat, but the legroom in the back is virtually non-existent. Especially behind the driver's seat (I am 6'2").

I now drive over 70 miles one way to work, and I get about 17 MPG at 70 MPH. Not bad for a 5.7 liter 4x4.

I am closing in on 200,000 miles, and the only thing this truck needs is a new set of tires and an outside door handle on the driver's side.

15 years old, and both the interior and exterior are in excellent condition. Paint still looks awesome; a few minor cracks in the leather, and everything power still works.

After all the problems I had with this truck in the beginning, I thought this truck was going to be higher maintenance than my wife (which I didn't think was possible) but I have been proven wrong. Definitely built "Like a Rock".

Review Date: 5th January, 2012

1997 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 5.7 from North America

Model year1997
Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership1999
Most recent distance120000 miles

Summary:

I love this truck, but after 2 garages, 7 visits, still have an unknown steering issue

Since Mid December, I have been to 2 garages, 7 visits to garage, $2,000 in work, and still have a steering issue.

When this started, I had two problems... the steering was extremely loose and it would spontaneously jerk in direction of turning (similar to a binding effect, then it will break loose suddenly jerking in that direction). I had the steering box replaced, this helped with the loose steering, but the sudden "jerking" in steering continued. This will occur at random, I can go days to a week without it happening, or it can happen on every turn/bend in a single day. The faster I am going or harder turn I am taking, the more noticeable and scary it is.

Parts that have been replaced in attempt to fix this issue are:

Steering box

Pit-man arm

Steering pump and lines

Linkages were checked and lubricated (not replaced)

Shocks

Things ruled out as they are not on this model:

Steering box sensors

Steering pump cooling system.

One garage mentioned that the steering shaft had a "little bit of play", but not enough to be of concern.

I am at a complete lost with not being comfortable driving this truck, running out of money to spend on it, and have a large headache.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Review Date: 19th February, 2009

21st Feb 2009, 16:36

I have a 1997 Silverado as well and I had the same problem. I replaced the steering wheel position sensor that is located in the steering column under the dash inside the cab. It only takes 5 minutes to change and I haven't had a problem since and that was 2 years ago.