2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT LT 5.3L V8 from North America

Summary:

Great all around vehicle

I had the Automatic Transmission removed and replaced with a Borg-Warner 6 speed manual.

I've replaced the clutch once at 153K miles, the tires at regular intervals, and the battery also at regular intervals.

Replaced the timing chain with a direct drive unit, replaced the standard air intake with a K&N unit, the stock single exhaust with catback duals, replaced the engine driven cooling fan with dual electric units.

Other than that... nada!

General Comments:

I have towed a 32 foot Franklin park model trailer weighing in at 8,200 lbs empty with this vehicle since it was new. The trailer exceeds the recommended towing capacity by well over 1,000 lbs. Never had an issue with anything major. V8 has more than enough power and a GREAT torque curve.

Documented fuel economy is 23 highway when empty, and 11 highway with 8,000 lbs plus in tow.

Review Date: 19th January, 2011

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT V6 from North America

Summary:

I would not trade it for anything. I love my SUV

The manifold was cracked.

Sway bar end links went bad on all four wheels at about 80000 miles.

Exhaust fell off at 120000 miles.

The blower only works on 4.

Back window shattered, and was very expensive to replace.

General Comments:

I love my car.

It has serious pulling power. I have pulled lots my mudding family out a lot.

Very roomy for travel, and not too bad on gas when traveling for its size.

When towing, you don't even feel the load behind you. We pull boats, full toy trailers, horse trailers and jet-skis, and feel no difference.

I can squeeze a full sheet of plywood or sheetrock in the back.

Review Date: 10th December, 2010

14th Dec 2010, 12:27

"The blower only works on 4."

Yeah, that is a common problem. Fix it now before you have no heat as it will fail eventually. It is the fan blower switch or relay or something like that... Been a while since I had that fixed on mine.

14th Dec 2010, 23:39

2004 TB EXT TNF V8 4WD 3.73 purchased new in June 2004. Now has 110k miles. Super versatile vehicle with limousine-like (129" WB) ride. Replaced water pump and radiator. Great tow (6000#) vehicle. Can't think of a suitable replacement...

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS inline 6 from North America

Summary:

Great until this problem

The battery keeps dying, same thing that everyone one else is saying.

One thing that my dad and I just found is that the battery keeps giving a really big spark enough to melt the terminal to the wire or whatever, so something is taking a lot of power, and that's why it's doing it.

When it's really cold too, because I live in Wisconsin and its always cold here. It only happens when it's real cold though because it doesn't always do it.

Review Date: 29th January, 2009

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Dependable, comfortable, worth the gas

The dash notifications ie, Check Engine Light and Engine Oil Light keep coming on. Other than that, not a thing.

General Comments:

I was skeptical about buying a Chevy because of the issues I had heard about in terms of dependability. The truth of the matter is this Truck is unbelievable. It's so comfortable and accommodating.

Pros:

- Dependability in Winter is exceptional

- Great Sound

- Interior is HUGE

- Highway driving is phenomenal

- Interior well laid out.

Cons:

- Gas mileage is poor: City is about 14 miles to the gallon. Highway is decent I must say though. I drive 70 miles three times a week and it's great in that respect. The mileage with a situation such as that isn't bad.

- VERY BIG, lot of car to deal with and the handling is tough to compensate for.

I highly recommend this vehicle for anyone looking to get a dependable SUV. I like it much better than the Explorer and the Durango. Much more comfortable, and looks wise it can't be beat.

Review Date: 26th September, 2008

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS EXT Inline 6 Cylinder from North America

Summary:

Durable and fun to drive

The battery light would stay dimly illuminated when the car was turned off. Nothing was wrong with the charging system, the dealer simply replaced the dash cluster under warranty.

The radio has reset three times since we owned it. Can't figure out why.

There is a small rattle sound which sounds like it could be the belt tensioner but the belts stay taught and it has never posed a problem in three years.

The drivers side window doesn't seem to stay in the track when you roll it up when on the highway and you hear a whistle until it seats. Which sometimes the wind will push the window in place after about a minute.

Also not too crazy about the plastic brake light trim above the rear window.

General Comments:

We bought this car brand new in 2005, the dealer still had a few 2004's on the lot and we got a pretty nice deal. We upgraded from a 2000 Ford Taurus due to growing family and we really like it.

The Trailblazer rides smooth, has real nice power and when I've towed it seems like it's not towing anything at all. I like the low end torque and the engine purrs on the highway. It's my wife's car so I rarely get to drive it but when I do I enjoy it.

Because it is a little longer than the Non-EXT version, I do occasionally notice a little "push" on the highway from crosswinds but it's not a whole lot and we don't find it to be a big safety issue.

Overall we really like this SUV. With the exception of the price to fill the tank it's a great vehicle.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2008