1999 Chevrolet Venture from North America

Would never buy a Chevy Van again

We purchased our 99 Chevy Venture in Nov. 2005 with 68,800 miles on it.

So far we've replaced the following parts:

* Brake pads/rotors/drums/shoes at 72,000 miles -- $532

* Power windows switch at 75,000 miles -- $60

* Water pump at 85,000 miles -- $72

* Mass air flow sensor at 89,000 miles -- $300

* Rear A/C expansion valve at 89,000 miles -- $420.

We should have replaced the rear A/C expansion valve when it was out at the time we bought the van... at nearly 69,0000 miles.

General Comments:

The back windshield wiper has never worked since we bought the van at nearly 69,000 miles.

The driver's seat is broken to the point that we have to use a pair of pliers to raise the back of the seat up to a sitting position.

The lights for the radio only illuminate on half of the display.

The hood latch is broken - have to manually open the hood.

The compass/direction control isn't working.

The driver's side carpeted floor is always wet.

Sometimes the power windows go down very slowly.

Overall, we've owned 5 Fords, 2 Dodges, and 2 other Chevrolet/GM vehicles since 1998 and have never had this many problems on all vehicles combined. I am sad to say that I have lost faith in Chevrolet vehicles because of the problems with this Chevy mini-van.

Review Date: 11th July, 2007

1999 Chevrolet Venture from North America

Buy used, and you won't be disappointed

Seriously, not much, other than a water pump, two shocks, brakes (due to normal wear), and a few minor things that one can easily fix on their own. The ABS indicator light came on, but simply removing battery cable, and resetting, it was fine. ALso, the Air bag light came on, but it was just the connector under the passenger seat where the Air bag control module is; I just unplugged it and plugged it in again. Also, the windshield wipers only would work on high, but a friend told me it was probably the electrical unit (brain) under the wiper motor. I found a new one on ebay for $27.00, and it works fine. THe power window, driver's side had difficulty going up - removing the panel and adjusting the mechanism and a little grease, and it works just fine. Seriously, this van is an easy vehicle to work on, and parts on ebay are cheap and easy to get. Warning - don't ever bring it to the GM dealership for maintenance. They are far too expensive, and most things you can fix yourself if you google the problem, or have a reputable privately owned repair shop do the work.

General Comments:

THis is by far the least expensive car I have purchased, that requires minimal maintenance. Very little has gone wrong, and if something small comes up, it is an easy fix. IT is super on gas, can tow a trailer well, and has lots of room. Don't worry about people commenting on all the problems they have had. Buy it used, not new, for a good price, and you won't be disappointed. I owned a Volvo 850 that I paid a premium price for, and within a 2.5 year period put over $6000.00 into it for repairs. I sold it and bought this van for $7000.00, and have enjoyed it so much more than the VOlvo. WHat a piece of garbage the VOlvo was. Stay away from Volvo!!!

Review Date: 24th June, 2007

1999 Chevrolet Venture LE 3.4 from North America

Don't buy Venture or Montana 3.1 or 3.4 vans

Blew head gasket at 84,000. Cup holders broke, rear sliding door came off tracks, visor fell off,

General Comments:

Inferior vehicle. Stay away from 3.1 and 3.4 motors because of expensive gasket problems.

Review Date: 19th June, 2007

1999 Chevrolet Venture LS 3.4L V6 from North America

I think I made a very bad choice in purchasing this vehicle

Rear Brake lights burn out.

Rear window wiper does not work.

Rear window washer line broken.

Power door seals are held on with shipping tape.

Interior trim is loose on front door panels.

Rear heater leaks anti freeze on the floor.

Rear A/C unit does not cool trying to find hole in A/C rear coil.

Lifters are hanging up so bad the engine misses and gas mileage has gone in the drain.

Smell anti freeze from the engine compartment, but can't find any leaks. Need to have head gasket and intake gaskets checked.

Rear quarter windows lose the attaching bolts and electronic activator arms.

General Comments:

I have had the car 30 days and would like to return it to the dealer, but was dumb enough to purchase with AS IS sticker.

Should have done more research on the vehicle.

I like the way it rides and handles.

The LS option with the 3rd removable seat is ideal for grandparents.

Several friends have this same model and get 25 mpg on highway, but I am afraid to take in on any long trips.

Review Date: 6th May, 2007