1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue Reviews - Page 3 of 5

First year of ownership1994
Engine and transmission 318 (5.2L) 2bbl Automatic
Most recent distance220000 miles
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

Best car ever made! (my opinion)

Power steering has failed a while ago. Doesn't bother me a bit; good upper body workout! (or maybe I'm a little lazy, I only fix the major stuff)

Otherwise just brakes, exhaust, regular wear items.

General Comments:

I absolutely love this car! A true testament to American made V-8 cars. Odometer is creeping toward 240000 miles and she still starts and runs like a dream. Gas mileage is adequate if you don't push her too hard. Close to 20 mpg. Nothing I have ever driven cruises as nice on the highway. They just don't design interiors like this anymore. I could drive this car for 12 hours without stopping to get out and stretch.

She is showing a little rust, but nothing major. My 86 Jeep Cherokee looks much worse, and the Chrysler sits out and the end of the driveway all the time too. It makes me wonder where Chrysler went wrong. I hear so many bad things about the 90s era front wheel drive sedans, but my 87 Fifth Avenue is an unstoppable TANK!

The 5.2L Mopar 318 is a true GEM of an engine. I'm a busy guy and don't give her the maintenence she deserves, but she never complains. Oil changes sometimes come at 10,000 miles or more, but never an issue with my baby!

The bottom line is that iron block rear wheel drive V-8 sedans may be inefficient in design, but that design will hold up to the rigors of daily punishment better than any other arrangement ever used. Talk to me about fuel economy, transfer of power, slippery conditions traction, etc., but when it comes down to reliability, I will take a rear wheel drive, carbureted V8 powered full size MOPAR sedan any day!

Review Date: 12th May, 2005

9th Dec 2005, 00:09

I also thought I was the only person who loved these cars, drove a 2005 Magnum, I'd take a Fifth Avenue any day. May well be best built car by Chrysler ever. I've driven a lot of them.

31st Jan 2006, 13:50

I have one and I love it as well. I call it the Voodoo Kitty because its got about 9 million lives. No matter what happens a simple repair is usually all it takes to get it back on the road.

My previous car was 94 Chrysler Concorde and it was pretty, but poorly built. I spent more on repairs than I did buying it. The transmission went twice and I gave up.

After having the Fifth Ave, I won't drive anything else. It just goes and goes and goes. Drove it 800 miles in a day to North Carolina and it ran great the whole time.

1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue from North America

Year of manufacture1987
Most recent distance201000 miles

Summary:

Not to expensive to fix, but I feel like I drive my house

I replaced starter, alternator, battery and regulator.

General Comments:

What a gas guzzler.

Review Date: 28th September, 2004

10th Mar 2006, 21:46

It gets good gas mileage for a V-8 its fuel tank is just too small for the car.

11th Mar 2006, 12:34

The 318 2-barrel ought to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 in stop and go driving or short trips, and about 21 on the highway. If that is a gas guzzler, then so is every full size pickup and sport utility vehicle made today.

11th Mar 2006, 19:47

Um, well, EVERY SUV is a gas guzzler and they avoid paying gas guzzler tax thereby screwing over the US taxpayer.

12th Mar 2006, 09:10

Excellent point. I agree, you may as well buy an older vehicle that gets the same gas mileage as a new car, but avoid the high sticker price and gas guzzler tax.

17th Apr 2006, 18:31

Most SUVs get far worse gas mileage than these great rear wheel drive luxury cruisers.

1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue 5.2L 318 2 barrel V8 from North America

Model year1987
Year of manufacture1986
Engine and transmission 5.2L 318 2 barrel V8 Automatic
Previous carFord Tempo

Summary:

Good car to own, but not in snow or rainy days

Power steering pressure hose went about 94,500 miles. Brake trouble that just happened haven't got chance to fix. Cloth trim around headliner and by front seats are faded and have a few holes in them. About 5 cigarette burns in driver seat from previous owner.

General Comments:

Car is very comfortable and drives smooth. handles OK for a heavier car, but it could be better.

Review Date: 17th September, 2004

12th May 2013, 20:34

Just got an 87 Fifth Avenue. Red paint comes back after a polish. No rust or damage, everything works.