1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue from North America

Summary:

Not to expensive to fix, but I feel like I drive my house

I replaced starter, alternator, battery and regulator.

General Comments:

What a gas guzzler.

Review Date: 28th September, 2004

10th Mar 2006, 21:46

It gets good gas mileage for a V-8 its fuel tank is just too small for the car.

11th Mar 2006, 12:34

The 318 2-barrel ought to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 in stop and go driving or short trips, and about 21 on the highway. If that is a gas guzzler, then so is every full size pickup and sport utility vehicle made today.

11th Mar 2006, 19:47

Um, well, EVERY SUV is a gas guzzler and they avoid paying gas guzzler tax thereby screwing over the US taxpayer.

12th Mar 2006, 09:10

Excellent point. I agree, you may as well buy an older vehicle that gets the same gas mileage as a new car, but avoid the high sticker price and gas guzzler tax.

17th Apr 2006, 18:31

Most SUVs get far worse gas mileage than these great rear wheel drive luxury cruisers.

1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue 5.2L 318 2 barrel V8 from North America

Summary:

Good car to own, but not in snow or rainy days

Power steering pressure hose went about 94,500 miles. Brake trouble that just happened haven't got chance to fix. Cloth trim around headliner and by front seats are faded and have a few holes in them. About 5 cigarette burns in driver seat from previous owner.

General Comments:

Car is very comfortable and drives smooth. handles OK for a heavier car, but it could be better.

Review Date: 17th September, 2004

12th May 2013, 20:34

Just got an 87 Fifth Avenue. Red paint comes back after a polish. No rust or damage, everything works.

1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue V8, 318, 5.2L from North America

Summary:

Affordable, first car

The air-conditioning needs to be recharged.

Right now, the timing chain needs to be replaced.

Some minor rust on the bottom half of the doors.

General Comments:

This is the most comfortable car I have ever owned.

I can't figure out why no one makes seats these comfy in every car.

Although not very powerful compared to other cars in it's class, when you have to stomp down on the gas, the car really jumps forward.

Review Date: 5th August, 2004

1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue 5.2 liter Gas from North America

Summary:

A nice first car

Front brakes replaced at 100,000.

Radio replaced at 100,000.

General Comments:

This car is the most comfortable car that I have ever rode in or owned. The 318 has enough power to move through traffic and around other cars. I bought it from my friends father for $75.00 USD. It has been great for me ever since.

Review Date: 21st November, 2003

19th Mar 2004, 21:03

The gas needle in my 1986 Fifth Avenue does not work correctly when tank is over half full. What is the best way to get this problem taken care of?

14th Sep 2004, 06:15

How much horse power does a stock 1987 fifth avenue with a 318 2 barrel have, where can I get a replacement cloth top.

17th Oct 2004, 22:59

Any apholstery/shop can replace your vinyl or cloth top.

12th May 2005, 19:59

Stock horsepower is around 140 bhp with the 318 2bbl setup. This is not the key number however. 240 ft. lbs. of American made iron V-8 torque! Let her shift into 3rd gear and just keep your foot on the pedal. It'll pull it out in the end.

18th Sep 2009, 09:33

Yeah the car has a little rust spots, but the thing drives like a tank. It never dies on me, it has a 318 block, which with the proper adjustment to the engine, you can turn it into a 360.

The interior is beautiful, the only thing that is bad about it is the vinyl roof is coming down.

I wouldn't sell this car, they are very rare.

18th Sep 2009, 23:08

With an "adjustment" to the engine, you can turn a 318 into a 360?

Please explain how an "adjustment" can increase cubic displacement, as I would like to turn my Neon's engine into a big-block.

1st Aug 2011, 13:32

Re-bore the cylinders and replace the pistons and rings. While you're at it, replace the cam, the crank, the main bearings, push rods and oil pump. And, while the engine is apart, replace the heads, valves, entire top end. Doesn't sound like "adjustment" to me. Sounds like major bucks and major pain to me. Easier just to drop a 360 in it from the get go.

7th Aug 2011, 13:34

Your fuel sending unit, which is in your gas tank (you can buy it on partstrain.com or other websites). Or very very rare, it is your speedometer.