1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue 5.2L from North America

Summary:

I had bad luck with mine

Carburetor, actually electronics that controlled the carb died shortly after I bought the car, and I could never get the electronic carb to work properly after that. Eventually resorted to an older pattern carb that sort of worked. (Tried three professional mechanics who were good with carbs, and none of them could get anywhere with this one).

Getting to be awhile, but there was always something wrong with this car while I owned it.

General Comments:

I drove a 1979 Chrysler New Yorker for 20 years before, during and after this 5th Avenue, and that was a real Chrysler. This 5th Avenue was basically a piece of junk. I know there were many thousands of people out there who had excellent service out of the 5th Avenues, but I was not one of them.

The only positive thing I would say about the car is it had an excellent interior, which was quite attractive, with supportive and comfortable seats.

Review Date: 4th March, 2009

11th Apr 2010, 19:32

Well the trick with these cars is to switch them over to regular electronic ignition and carb if you have trouble. The lean burn setup would go bad, so pick up a regular 318/360 electronic dist. Or a rebuilt one that has vacuum advance, an electronic box and wiring kit and a non feedback carb. They really respond to a 4bbl carb like the Edelbrock 1406.

I just picked up an 87 Fifth Ave. with 47K miles from my neighbor and I love it. The lean burn is still working good, but their 2bbls are known for hesitation, so I'll swap mine over later.

22nd Sep 2010, 22:16

Well boys, looks like I got one too, but this one is not happy. I only had it for three years, but the kicker is I only drove it about 1,100 miles, and only one owner before me; he had it in very good shape. I do too, but the car just stopped running. A wire burned out on the positive. This small thing has me down. I cut the wire to remove the bad part, but it just did the same. I'm going to put it in the shop where the car was done from the 1st person that had it. He knows this car. If any of you boys knows about this, hit me back, I will check back. KEEP THEM REAL.

20th Feb 2013, 18:26

I just got an 87 5th Avenue a couple months ago; she was doing the same thing. I changed the whole wiring harness and a week later it did the same thing on the same wire! So I simply spliced in a bigger heavier gauge wire and haven't had a problem yet. Take your wire, and go past the splitter and splice into the main trunk; you shouldn't have any more problems.

1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue Sedan 318 V8 from North America

Summary:

Solid vehicle

Driver window and behind driver window went down, but never went back up.

Electric door locks and seats don't work.

Transmission only goes in reverse.

General Comments:

Haven't drove yet, but once transmission is fixed I hope she hauls.

I love the interior!!!

Velour royal blue seats.

Review Date: 29th March, 2007

1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue 318 cu.in. V8 (5.2L) from North America

Summary:

This car is a forgotten, inexpensive to maintain, luxury car (under $5,000)

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

General Comments:

Smooth riding american luxury car. Quite expensive at the time and mine has the optional two-tone silver/black paint. Nothing has gone wrong and appears clean enough to eat on in the engine compartment. Now using a K & N Air filter, Mobil 1 Synthetic in both the engine oil and the transmission too. Car is in Florida now and is used daily to and from work as well as on drives on the weekend down to the Florida Keys. I get 17 mpg with the A/C on (yes, you need the A/C on in November in Florida) in the city and 23 on the highway. Mine has the "Ultimate Sound" package and though it is just a cassette system, it sounds great! The interior is all grey leather and the only thing I miss from my Lincoln is the adjustable resistance on the steering wheel.

Review Date: 6th November, 2006