1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 5.2L Automatic
Distance when acquired52000 miles
Previous carMercury Grand Marquis

Summary:

American, and built to last beyond the overpriced competing domestics, and over the top imports

Never had to get any work done to engine or transmission.

I always changed the oil at 3000 mile intervals.

Starter played up 3 years ago.

Alternator replaced twice, and the window regulators needed attention.

General Comments:

It is still on its original leaf springs and shock absorbers, and considering the high miles, I think that is good going.

The only thing I wish I could change is the amount of gas it drinks around town. On the highway it will easily do a healthy 28 at 70 with a light foot, but floor it and it is a different story.

I like this Chrysler, because it is so damn dependable, and I have had it so long, it feels like a family member.

Our children are all grown up now, and my wife and I have decided that as both of us past 80 years of age, we will keep it for as long as we are around, which I hope will be a while yet.

Review Date: 18th March, 2012

1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue Smallblock V8 318 from North America

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 318 Automatic
Previous carCadillac Catera

Summary:

American built, made to last, no false pretences here, you get what it says on the tin

Headlights blink on and off erratically when on full beam, due to high power bulbs tripping a circuit breaker.

Aircon seems to cycle all the time on or off.

General Comments:

Bought this old Chrysler last fall for a quick one stop replacement for my Catera, while in getting the transmission fixed due to wear and tear. Why I spent $7000 on this piece of crap 3 years ago, god only knows; it has had so much trouble, I do not know whether to laugh or cry.

Welcome to the world of the Chrysler Fifth Avenue, with its hefty V8 driving the rear wheels, with a transmission that was made to last. No computer shifting rubbish here, just a re-bodied 1950s-60s work of art, and what a beauty on the interstate with its unbelievably light steering and zero noise protruding into the cabin, unlike the German built Caddie, that would lead you to believe that it was better than anything truly American.

I will drive this beast till the day I die. It was made to outlast its owners, and deservedly so.

Review Date: 10th February, 2012

13th Feb 2012, 13:36

Great review, and exactly right. Very few of us know how bad cars have become nowadays, because most people never experienced the full-sized, rear wheel drive, V8 sedans of the 70s and 80s. Perhaps it is better the young people don't know what they're missing.

17th Jan 2013, 07:50

I'm 20 years old and I own a 1987 Fifth Ave. It is my baby! I love my car. Unfortunately I'm having to sell it for a 4 cylinder. I don't wanna get rid of it. I have dreamed of all of the possibilities of stuff I could do to fix it up. I hate to see it go.

1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue 318CI V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1986
First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 318CI V8 Automatic
Distance when acquired205000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Beretta

Summary:

Reliable, cheap, and under-rated

- Fan clutch.

That's it!!

General Comments:

Bought it from some cautious old religious lady for $500. Drove the crap out of it. Changed the oil twice in 20k miles. Drove it with the cords sticking out of the tires. I loved that car.

Sold it for $100 less than I paid for it. It's still on the road. Probably has well over 250k on it now. Lacks power with the low compression 318. So-so fuel mileage.

Review Date: 17th June, 2011

1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue 5.2L from North America

First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 5.2L Automatic
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carChrysler New Yorker

Summary:

I had bad luck with mine

Carburetor, actually electronics that controlled the carb died shortly after I bought the car, and I could never get the electronic carb to work properly after that. Eventually resorted to an older pattern carb that sort of worked. (Tried three professional mechanics who were good with carbs, and none of them could get anywhere with this one).

Getting to be awhile, but there was always something wrong with this car while I owned it.

General Comments:

I drove a 1979 Chrysler New Yorker for 20 years before, during and after this 5th Avenue, and that was a real Chrysler. This 5th Avenue was basically a piece of junk. I know there were many thousands of people out there who had excellent service out of the 5th Avenues, but I was not one of them.

The only positive thing I would say about the car is it had an excellent interior, which was quite attractive, with supportive and comfortable seats.

Review Date: 4th March, 2009

11th Apr 2010, 19:32

Well the trick with these cars is to switch them over to regular electronic ignition and carb if you have trouble. The lean burn setup would go bad, so pick up a regular 318/360 electronic dist. Or a rebuilt one that has vacuum advance, an electronic box and wiring kit and a non feedback carb. They really respond to a 4bbl carb like the Edelbrock 1406.

I just picked up an 87 Fifth Ave. with 47K miles from my neighbor and I love it. The lean burn is still working good, but their 2bbls are known for hesitation, so I'll swap mine over later.

22nd Sep 2010, 22:16

Well boys, looks like I got one too, but this one is not happy. I only had it for three years, but the kicker is I only drove it about 1,100 miles, and only one owner before me; he had it in very good shape. I do too, but the car just stopped running. A wire burned out on the positive. This small thing has me down. I cut the wire to remove the bad part, but it just did the same. I'm going to put it in the shop where the car was done from the 1st person that had it. He knows this car. If any of you boys knows about this, hit me back, I will check back. KEEP THEM REAL.

20th Feb 2013, 18:26

I just got an 87 5th Avenue a couple months ago; she was doing the same thing. I changed the whole wiring harness and a week later it did the same thing on the same wire! So I simply spliced in a bigger heavier gauge wire and haven't had a problem yet. Take your wire, and go past the splitter and splice into the main trunk; you shouldn't have any more problems.