2000 Chrysler Neon Reviews - Page 3 of 5

Model year2000
Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 2.0 SOHC 16v Manual
Previous carChevrolet Corsa

Summary:

Very good

Clutch at 90,000 km??? (remember it's manual trans.)

Breaks in caliper area very noisy...

Automatic timing belt adjustment system noisy...

General Comments:

Very good! Actually very good. But regrettably we have a very expensive replacements parts for all Chrysler cars delivered here, that is, in Cordoba, Argentina. If we buy parts to a person which directly imports parts from USA, our replacements costs are lower in about 50%. So, Chrysler team, watch out this message...

Review Date: 26th May, 2006

2000 Chrysler Neon LX 2.0i from UK and Ireland

Model year2000
Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 2.0i Manual
Previous carFord Sierra

Summary:

PANTS! If you want to empty your bank account due to repairs... then this is the car for you!

The list is endless... it feels.

The air conditioning went at about 50k. £500 repair cost that I had to bully the warranty company to cough up. What a carry on!

The Brake discs had to be replaced at 70K

(By the way... The Brake Audible alarm was driving me mad... it would bleep to me for mile after mile if it felt like it. Had it checked by garage - no result. Nothing in the manual to explain the problem...crazy... however having had the disc brakes changed seems to have sorted that. Obviously this was the cause... something I did suspect... but couldn't prove with out going to a dealership).

Intermittent fault with the cigarette lighter which shouldn't be a problem for a non smoker such as me... except that I use it for the SAT NAV.

Then I took it for an MOT last week and blow me... the Front Sub Frame has corroded to a point where you can put your finger through the rust... Which is a bit worrying when it carrys the engine! £600 for the part alone plus bushes offside and near side that need replacing...£1000 cost all in.

Alloys tend to stain easily with a little corroding.

Let's not forget the cost of a fog lamp... £120 quid for a bit a glass and housing.

General Comments:

When I first got the car, I must admit I loved it. Nice shape and leather interior, air con, central locking electric windows and mirrors. It did in fact awaken an interest in cars that had been submerged previously. I was the "anything will do to get me from A to B" guy.

In low revs it sounds like a diesel. But not a problem.

OK round corners and the neon pulled off the amazing when an idiot in 2004 pulled out onto me from a side road and nearly crashed into me. Talk about swerving and control. Or may be I'm a good driver??? ;-)

The paint isn't too good, mine is in black and it has a white undercoat??? Black car polish kept it in trim, but what a 'mare to keep clean - as with any black car. Annoying to see the odd white mark break through though, on the edges of doors.

Seats comfortable and the leather has not worn badly.

34 miles to the gallon.

All in all the car looked nice at purchase time... although the shape is looking a little old fashioned now in my opinion. Doesn't look chunky enough for the exec driver compared to some in 2006.

But in the end... whilst the car never failed me on the road... it severely let me down in the repair garage... This car was a nightmare to keep up with repairs and I've decided to rejoin mainstream and get a new Vauxhall Vectra.

It's been the most expensive 42000 miles I've ever travelled in two years!

I will never buy a Chrysler again. Not even a Crossfire which I love the shape... but again... £500 for an exhaust?? Get real America!

Review Date: 7th May, 2006

8th May 2006, 15:07

Sounds like the Neons intended for the UK market are just as bad as those over here in the States. Sorry you got a lemon, mate. As for the Crossfire, I'd imagine it'd fare much better being basically a Mercedes. The 3.2L V-6 is a gem.

8th Sep 2006, 15:01

I've just had almost exactly the same issues- Brake disks at 75k, bushes/arms at £130 each at 100k, sub-frame at 112k for £600. Love the car to bits, but I can only throw so much money at it... Just ONCE please pass an MOT!