1997 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Reviews - Page 2 of 17

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous carChrysler Sebring Convertible

Summary:

Overall, I have been very satisfied, provided you baby, nurse and maintain the car

Currently problems in Transmission "Limp Mode" doesn't seem serious, however advised to replace Input/Output Vehicle Speed Sensors (VSS) and perhaps shift solenoid.

Will also replace TCM, otherwise no other major problems. CMTC defective, LED died, low priority to fix or replace, no starting problems, drilled holes in rocker panels years ago, resolved flooding problem.

Check strap broken; clicks when door opens/closes, personally replacing the check strap, easy to repair.

Had stalling problems, related to routine maintenance, not a current problem anymore.

Outer edge seams on top coming loose, needs to be re-sewn, will sew myself.

Had car since new (original owner), has been good to me, runs well, however this is my first and last convertible. It's a delight to drive, the Infinity radio system is superb, I baby the car and try to address all problems when I have enough funds. Purchased a portable charger/compressor unit, a real life savior, and an official service manual, highly recommended.

Contact Chrysler Sebring Convertible Club: http://www.sebringclub.net/board/

Review Date: 6th July, 2011

1997 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXI 2.5 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Could be better and affordable

I love the car. If only I had the money to fix it completely, like get a new top and repair my car from an accident, which one year left 5 inches of water in my passenger side... ps that's where the amp is frying all the electricals, but dash and exterior, they quoted me 3000 to replace the weather stripping and top. Yeah, that's a lot of money.

I really do I miss my lights.. my alarm... and my stereo, which I loved; you need at least an extra 7000w.

General Comments:

Love it in the summer time.

Review Date: 5th March, 2011

1997 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXI 2.4L 4 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture1996
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.4L 4 cylinder Automatic

Summary:

If you have money to upgrade the faulty parts on this car, it is very nice

For the first month and a half I was driving it, I absolutely loved this car. I thought it was the greatest, because I got it as a present from my grandma for Christmas.

There were no major problems, besides the passenger side rear wheel would go flat every once in a great while.

Well a week after a 600 miles trip to Mall of America and back, it started overheating. I didn't really think anything of it, I just let it cool off, and drove it home right away after that.

Well then it happened again, and I went and got it looked at, and they said it was a head gasket. Then I had one of my friends look at it, because he knows a lot about cars, and he checked everything, and there were no signs of a head gasket. So then we went ahead and replaced the water pump.

Well after a week with the new water pump, it over heats once again. So then we figured it was an air pocket. So I got that removed, and it ran fine for about a month. Then it started getting hot and overheating again, and this time when I started my car, I could smell antifreeze coming from the heat vents, so it was definitely a head gasket now at 56,000 MILES, this is B.S.

So I had the work quoted, and it was gonna be $700, which I am not very happy about, because I'm a 16 year old kid, not making very much money.

Also another problem I have with this car is the window in the back wasn't properly sealed, so every time it rains, I get a car full of water, but that was easily resolved by taking a small plug out of each side in front of the rear wheel on the wheel well.

Also, this is just a minor thing, but my driver's side seat is ripped all the way down the side. And I get in and out of it maybe like 5 times a day, that's all.

In my opinion, I think they went really cheap on this car, and I don't think they tested its performance or anything very well. I wish Chrysler would do something about this, because it is their fault this car is a giant piece of crap. I mean Toyota fixed their acceleration problem with no problems, why can't Chrysler fix their Sebring faulty everything? Because even the newer ones have the same problems.

General Comments:

It's a very nice car when nothing is wrong with it; I just wish Chrysler would update the engines components, fix the convertible top, and switch to some higher quality wheels.

Review Date: 4th December, 2010

4th Dec 2010, 14:32

USA Today just did a report on the new Chrysler 200 (the re-named Sebring). They RAVED about it. All the flaws have been done away with, and it appears to be a really awesome car in the same vein as the world-class Ford Fusion and Chevy Malibu. Domestic makers are showing the entire world how to build cars now.

29th Oct 2011, 17:42

I really disagree with your statement about these being faulty cars - For the price point in the market, I find these to be wonderful cars. Sure, they have their issues, as do most, if not all cars, but I think the Sebring Convertible is a fine vehicle for the money.

I own a 2001, and prefer driving it on a regular basis over our newer more expensive cars. Yes, they are not made with the highest quality parts, but we are talking about convertibles that came very well equipped in the mid-20's. A pretty darn good deal as far as I'm concerned.

20th Feb 2013, 14:34

I appreciate that you are a new driver and have a limited budget with which to maintain this car. You must realize that you purchased the CHEAPEST convertible model of car on the market. As such, they manufacturer used very cheap materials and cheap designs. So it is unrealistic to expect premium performance from this vehicle. It serves its purpose and that's that.

If you really want near faultless performance and reliability, then you have to pony up for just about any Honda, or Toyota, or Subaru. You pay a bit of a premium up front for these cars, but you hardly ever have to pay for unexpected maintenance on them. So in the long run the "cost per mile" of ownership is about the lowest overall. You will also get a premium over lesser brands when you go to sell it too. This is a lesson you are learning the hard way.