1999 Daewoo Leganza 2.0 from Belgium

Summary:

Lack of quality, service and an up-to-date engine

My Leganza is 2 years now and has about 26000 km on it. The good thing about this car is that it is very well equiped. Air conditioning, complete electric pack, and so on.

The very bad thing is that just all these features caused a lot of problems with my car. One of the power-window motors has been replaced already two times.

I don't use the remote control of the central locking system anymore since it only works sometimes.

The coolant for the air conditioning had to be refilled already after 10 months, and I heard in the meantime that most of the Leganza's have this problem. So much for the interior.

Now for the engine, it runs OK, but consumption is high. I only drive 8.4 km on a liter. Furthermore I had also quite some problems with the engine.

The ignition cables had to be replaced and also some kind of sensor has been replaced.

What unnerves me most is that until now most of these problems are solved for free (warranty), but the dealer tries each time to make me pay, and only after long discussions he plays the good guy who pays the bill himself.

General Comments:

My conclusion is that the Leganza has a lot of nice features, but they really lack quality, service and an up-to-date engine.

Unless they change course drastically I will never buy a Daewoo again.

Review Date: 6th December, 2000

1st May 2005, 18:45

I can't comment on all of your other points, but I can on the air conditioning. I am a mechanic (not for daewoo), but as a rule of thumb all air conditioning units on all cars should be run for at least 10 minutes every week, regardless of weather conditions. This helps keep the seals on the compressor 'lapped'. (air tight). Failing to do so will result in gas escaping. I live in Scotland, and know that as a lateral partner, in Belgium the last thing on you mind is running your air conditioning in January!!

So if you don't follow the rules, you're a/c will always fail regardless of what make and model of car you drive!! This is a good point to note, and will save you a fortune in the future. Best of regards.

25th Mar 2006, 16:23

The 2.2 Litre Engine was manufactured by Holden Australia in Melbourne. The Engines where then shipped to Korea and fitted to the Car. The engine is wholly a GM Holden Australian Design and build.

18th Mar 2007, 18:58

Mr. Mechainc, are you sure they let you work on cars? What are you talking about running for ten minutes in january, what happens when you run the defrost on a vehicle equipped with a/c? the compressor kicks on, and what does that do? It absorbs moisture, why would you have to run the a/c, if it runs on defrost, I hope no one followed what you said, they might of had some chilly mornings!

4th Apr 2009, 22:58

The logic in running the air condition once a week is to lubricate the seals in the air conditioning unit so they do not dry up and turn brittle. Once a seal becomes brittle, the seals will leak the a/c coolant and render the unit non working. The rule of thumb is to run it once a week. It is sound advice to the knowing and dumbfounded to the unknowing.

1999 Daewoo Leganza CDX 2.2 from North America

Summary:

Noisy!

Radio went out after purchasing the car 2 months ago.

Rattling in the sunroof.

General Comments:

There are a lot of noises I have found in the car since my radio has been out for the past 2 weeks. I am in Atlanta and I have to wait 2-3 weeks before I can get the part from California.

I have really enjoyed the car, all of my friends ask me "Why did you get a Daewoo?" I simply say "Because no one has one."

I went car shopping and was looking for a reliable car and I believe that this is one, but the only real problem that I have is waiting almost a month for parts.

Review Date: 24th October, 2000

4th Aug 2008, 09:09

Hell yeah this car has some really annoying noise.