2007 Dodge Caliber SE 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A great disappointment

ABS light came on, sensor replaced.

Rear driver side passenger door lock wouldn’t engage.

Trim falling off.

General Comments:

My company offered me this car, as its previous new owner no longer wanted it. So my one-year-old Ford Focus was given to another colleague. What a grave mistake I made. The fascination of owning a new American brand in the UK such as Dodge quickly dissolved.

The car definitely standouts amongst all the euro looking cars on my road, but I just wished it had the same quality and ride comfort of my old Ford Focus. The diesel engine is much more louder from within the cabin than any diesel car I have sat in recently. Vibrations are felt in the cabin, particularly the gear stick and steering wheel. It is also not as economy as I was expecting. I’m averaging about 36mpg. The same engine in a VW Golf gets 47mpg plus. The ride is harsh and I always thought American cars were soft riding.

The biggest disappointment is the cabin. It feels very cheap. All the plastics are hard, with some sharp edges on the door pockets and grove box lid. The heating control knobs are coming loose and the passenger side window button has fallen into the trim. I blamed this on my girlfriend, but now I think it is due to the quality. The overhead light is a neat feature, but won't stay in place and the plastic surround on the handbrake has came off.

I have recently been in a few Chrysler and Dodge cars in the showroom while waiting on repairs being carried out on my own car. I’ve discovered that the quality of any of their cars is sub standard. It reminds me of the quality of old Kia’s, but even Kia nowadays is more than a match. I have to keep this car for two years before my company upgrades me. Two very long years. I want my old Ford Focus back.

Review Date: 14th November, 2007

14th Nov 2007, 20:23

That's weird. In the US, the Caliber is pretty good and is fairly popular, but not available with a diesel. On gasoline, they advertise 30 mpg city/36 mpg highway, which is considered pretty good here. 4-cylinder gasoline, CVT transmission, front wheel drive. The mileage drops a couple mpg for the all-wheel drive versions. To my knowledge, we have virtually nothing available in this country that gets 47 mpg, including the hybrids. Interesting -- it's as though somebody doesn't want us to have super fuel-efficient cars.

2007 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0 from North America

Summary:

When my lease expires; I will probably get the Caliber again

Seats stain easily.

General Comments:

My relationship with this car has evolved; thus far the car has no mechanical, or electrical problems. Once you get use to the CVT it's wonderful and smooth. The car pulls up inclines with ease. Like other reviews have noted that the car is meant to be driven with a feather foot. The car coasts well on the highway. The cabin is quiet and the CVT lends itself to a very smooth ride. The car is solid and I hope the problem free trend continues with this vehicle.

Review Date: 5th October, 2007

2007 Dodge Caliber SE from North America

Summary:

A good car for people who have a lot of friends or stuff to haul around!

I noticed a dent in the driver's side fender the day after I got the car, which popped out very easily without any damage to the metal or paint. I must say that the metal used on the Caliber is very thin, I'm almost convinced that it's made from recycled beer cans.

The passenger-side door rattles loudly when it is shut.

General Comments:

I am really enjoying my new Caliber! I was looking for something that gripped the road and didn't blow around in the wind like my Toyota Yaris I had before I purchased this Dodge. The car feels very stable on the road, although it doesn't have much get-up-and-go. It takes a while to get up to speed, making it difficult to jump out into traffic unless you have lots of room, but it keeps up well once you get up to speed.

It drives very well on the freeway; I drive 30 miles on it each way to work 5 days a week. It doesn't move around on the road much, unless the wind is really blowing, which I guess is normal. For it's price, it is really a quiet vehicle. The road noise is not bad at all.

The seats are the most comfortable of any car I have owned. I can see myself taking a long trip in this car while staying comfortable! It has plenty of room, especially in the backseat. My friends have already commented on this. And the fold-down seats are great; I have my bike in there right now!

The Chill Zone box for drinks works very well! With the air conditioner on full blast, it takes about 15 minutes for a bottle of water to get ice-cold. It's also good for melted candy bars.

There's plenty of room to store just about anything. I really like the little thing that flips up out of the center console for your ipod or cell phone.

Gas mileage is about 29 MPG so far. I'm still getting different amounts every time I calculate it. I drive mostly on the freeway about 75 MPH, and occasionally drive around town.

Review Date: 8th August, 2007