2007 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Plastic Fantastic!

Screen washer stopped working; had to remove the pump and clean its filter; quite an easy job.

General Comments:

Had mine 8 months, so this is hardly a long term review, but put a few miles on it in that time, as I use it occasionally for business.

It drives superb and has great comfort. I like the CVT gearbox, and you can make the car economical around town if you learn how to keep the engine revs low. Also the performance is great and I can't understand why some owners think they're sluggish, but perhaps mine is one of the better ones.

Also for a cheap car, I like the Musicgate stereo, built-in torch, and the tire pressure monitor. The ergonomics are fantastic and all the controls well thought out. Great aircon/ heater.

I do all my own servicing and the parts are cheap, although it hasn't needed anything apart from pads and oil/filters. Tires seem to last and don't wear unevenly.

I see Top Gear put the Caliber in their top 20 of worst cars of all time, but that's nothing new for them; there is one Caliber in the States that's done 528,000 miles if you search on YouTube!!

If Chrysler had sold the car from the start with the updated (2010) interior, it would have done much better.

Last but not least, I like the great Tonka toy styling.

Review Date: 14th November, 2014

26th Feb 2015, 08:07

Good review, and greetings from southern Finland. I've been thinking about buying a used Caliber 2.0 petrol automatic for a while now, since I like the comfort, and the Caliber is one of the last masculine US everyday-cars (I've been driving some Calibers, though never owned one), but the reviews and statistics mostly seem to be way below average. But then again, if the car is maintained as it's supposed to be, and after the typical faults have been taken care of, you'll have some good miles to go for many years, right?

The other thing I'm worried about is the effect of varying and rough Finnish winter, which can wear out cars in general: lots of wet snow, humid, corrosive(?) road salt (to ease the slipperiness) etc.

18th Apr 2015, 20:02

I still have the car and still no problems, 59k miles now. If you get one, get it sprayed underneath with a corrosion protector. If you get a diesel, make sure the clutch is OK; some in the UK are worn out at 30-40k. The turbos as well don't last long, as people don't bother with the cool down period after a long run; petrols are more reliable in the long run.

2007 Dodge Caliber SXT 1.8 litre from North America

A lot of car for the money, feature rich and uber convenient

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

I got this car for $50 per week lease 18 months ago.

It's been fantastic; 6 trips, 5hrs + in length. The car is quiet and solid on the highway at 120km's per hour, the seat adjustments suit my 6'2 height, the AC blows cold enough to give me a headache if I set it too low, the gas mileage on the highway has been averaging 7 litres for each 100km's, and in the city I'm getting about 10 litres.

The engine is weak power wise, and that is my only complaint, but then again I didn't expect much from the base 1.8 litre anyway, so I got what I was expecting.

The car is solid on the highway, surprisingly so to be honest, but there is body roll when cornering, the brakes are fantastic - 4 wheel discs and solid.

The base stereo is fine.

The interior plastic looks cheap, but then again for the price I got the car for, I got what I wanted.

I can't say enough good about the chill zone for longer trips, it works great and there is more storage than I thought possible, given the size of the car once the seats are put down.

I really like the car, I may be getting a newer one, not sure, or may move up to a Challenger.

Review Date: 29th September, 2009