1999 Dodge Dakota Reviews - Page 2 of 8

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.6L V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.6L V6 Automatic
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

Best truck I've owned - 5 years without one issue

Catalytic converter went out at 50,000 miles - however it only made a rattling noise, and the replacement was covered by the dealer because it was recalled.

General Comments:

Good power, nothing too extraordinary, but definitely gets the job done.

I have hauled boats, trailers, and tons of gravel in the back with hardly any loss of power... quite nice for a V6.

Interior is roomy and the ride is excellent! I can't say enough about the ride of this truck! It's smooth like a car, but rugged enough for off road.

I have had nothing go out or anything happen to this truck; it's been perfect, and I've owned it for 5 years.

Review Date: 15th August, 2010

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 5.2 (318) from North America

Engine and transmission 5.2 (318) Automatic

Summary:

I love it!!!

All I've had to do besides regular up-keep is change the upper and lower ball joints.

General Comments:

I love this truck!!!

I will never buy anything but a Dodge.

Haven't had any real trouble with it.

The 318 has tons of power.

Review Date: 10th September, 2009

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 5.2 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carGMC Pickup

Summary:

Perfect

Tune up at 50000, new shocks at 93000.

General Comments:

Never a problem. Lots of power, tows fine, love it to this day, would never buy anything else.

Review Date: 13th January, 2009

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 5.2 (318 c.i.) from North America

Engine and transmission 5.2 (318 c.i.) Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Cutlass

Summary:

Woo-Hoo, like it a lot

Replaced heater core at 187000 km.

Replaced inner tie-rod end / rack bushings / wheel bearings at 187000 km.

Replaced control arm bushings (upper right side) at 200000 km (give or take).

Replaced throttle position sensor (TPS) at 220000.

Replaced battery at 230000.

General Comments:

OK, so when I bought the truck, there were a few issues, but it was fairly cheap as compared to other trucks exactly like it at the time. After those things were fixed it was great.

When the control arm bushings went out, it was signified by a thump and jerk on the steering. Cost about $300 to fix, including alignment (less than I thought it would at the time), but had to wait for parts because as of that point in time aftermarket bushings were unavailable. Not sure if that has changed yet or not.

About 6 months into ownership, riding down the highway, the engine surges, but the speed does not. Change service engine light comes on (this only happened once in a blue moon. Codes (8) set were a misfire on all cylinders. I was not concerned until it was more severe. My mechanic could not figure it out on his own; had to take him for a ride with the diagnostic tool plugged in, there was a surge in the voltage of the TPS every time the engine would surge (let's try changing the TPS he finally says!) voila no more surging, yay!

Just replaced the battery couple of days ago. Was starting to turn over slow last winter, still the original battery, not bad, 9 years on one battery.

It's due for some more front end work soon (ball joints; they are original too).

Rear tires wear quite quickly (I have a lead foot) and passing on the highway is no problem (it'll set you back in your seat even accelerating from 100 km/h).

I love my truck.

Review Date: 7th August, 2008

1999 Dodge Dakota Ext. Cab Sport 5.2L V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.2L V8 Automatic
Previous carHonda CRX

Summary:

No other truck like it. I will forever miss him

Transmission went out at 30,000.

Stitches on passenger seat came out creating a 3 inch opening. You could see orange sponge stuffing material from it.

ABS & brake light came on at 130,000.

New rotors and pads at 135,000.

Side seat adjuster snapped off at 140,000.

General Comments:

I was newly divorced and this was the first vehicle I bought without help. I felt like an independent woman. Sure, the truck was a purple color (Dodge calls it "amethyst"), but so what? He was mine!

I was driving on the highway when the transmission went out. When this happened, the max speed I could take the truck as 30 mph. It was 11pm when this happened. I had just come off of my nursing shift. I got pulled over by state patrol and was accused of being under the influence. I told the officer I had not been drinking at all, explaining my transmission was failing. He thought I was lying and made me do a field sobriety test. Anyway, after dealing with him, I limped my truck to the nearest exit and parked it.

The next day I paid to have him towed to the Dodge dealership. The transmission had to be replaced. It cost 1200.00 plus tax. Not a good start to truck ownership, huh? Well, after this incident, I was worried that maybe I got a lemon and was fully expecting major repairs to be a regular part of my life now. Not so. That was the only big thing to go wrong with him.

I had just taken up hunting birds and big game. My bad ass Dodge was very much my hunting partner. I've taken that truck on roads some people couldn't walk through. OK, disabled people, but still... Some of the terrain was tough. I've used my four wheel drive both high and low. That truck has always been able to get me out of a jam.

We've gone out of state hunting. I've driven him from Seattle all the way to Jordan Montana through harsh winters three years in a row. I've torn up the beach at Ocean Shores just for the fun of it.

There were times during my ownership that I was not a good truck owner. During those periods, I did not keep up on the oil changes. I remember a time that I thought I really should get the oil changed, taking it into a Jiffy Lube, and the mechanic telling me there wasn't even any oil left in the engine. Still, that Dodge never let me down. He ran strong as an ox. My hunting buddies used to tease me about him being purple. I'd make sure to remind them of that when their trucks were broken down and my good 'ol Dodge continued to run strong.

About 4 1/2 months ago, the brake and ABS light came on. I took my Dodge into Les Schwab and learned that the brakes needed to be replaced. I was told this was normal wear and tear for my truck's age. It cost 358 and some change. The ABS light didn't go out though. They told me it was a bad sensor and would cost another 400 to fix, but the truck was still drivable. I didn't have the money to fix it right then. I've driven all this time with the bad sensor and haven't had any problems with braking. so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

I no longer own this truck, not because it's a bad truck. Far from it. Somewhere along the way, I went from being an independent woman to a stupid little girl who didn't pay her bills on time. Last night, I had to turn my truck over to bankruptcy court. I can't stop crying.

I have so much sentimental memory tied into that truck. That truck saw me through my first white tail deer kill, my first mule deer, my first pheasant hunt. He drove me to all my archery tournaments over the past three years, where I stomped ass and took home title after title after title. I had love's first kiss in that truck. I remember driving up to Alpental in the middle of the night on a whim, laying out in the bed of my truck just to watch shooting stars. I've driven that truck to redding, CA, all over Washington State, Idaho, Montana. I feel like I lost my best friend in the world. Maybe I would feel differently if I had to invest in costly repairs all this time, but that wasn't that case for me. God knows as much as I abused that truck, I deserved it.

On the question that asked if I would buy another Dodge, I marked yes, but the truth is no other Dodge can replace my bad ass. I will never feel the same. I am picking up a '91 Ford Ranger this Thursday for 2600. Yes, it's good to have a vehicle that I won't owe money on, but it will be just a vehicle. My Dodge had personality.

I lost my best friend last night. I highly recommend the Dodge Dakota. If yours runs as strong as mine, fully expect to become overly attached. Don't be stupid like me. Pay your bills on time. I planned on never buying another truck again. At least I have the memories.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2008