1998 Dodge Durango Reviews - Page 13 of 20

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9 from North America

Previous carNissan Pathfinder

Summary:

Tough looking and powerful, good for towing

The rotors have warped 3 times in 30,000 miles under normal driving conditions and the remedy was to put on Ceremix ceramic pads from NAPA.

The Transmission governor switch went bad at 100,000 and cost $290.00 to fix at transmission shop.

Couldn't see very well out the front because of the huge side mirrors. Replaced them with 2003 Durango mirrors purchased on Ebay. Problem solved.

The seats have no lumbar support and causes back problems.

General Comments:

Gas mileage is not the greatest, but I purchased this vehical to pull a heavy speed boat and it does it quit well with the high powered 5.9 engine.

The truck looks really cool especially after I installed a 3 inch body lift and 33 inch mud tires.

The pathfinder I had befor this road smoother and had better seats, but was underpowered for pulling heavy boat.

Review Date: 25th April, 2003

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Previous carNissan Pathfinder

Summary:

Nice looks, poor reliability

Roller bearings in rear differential were corroded and housing cracked at 39000 miles. Repair cost to have bearings replaces was $650.

Transmission started shifting odd at about 40500 miles. Local transmission specialist had to do a "nine tenths rebuild" on the transmission at a cost of $2068.16.

Rear seats have a very bad design in that it takes rocking the seat back and forth to get it into just the right position before the latch will work to fold them down. I am just about the only one that can release the seats.

I've never had a vehicle rust so easily. I live in north Idaho and sure we have snow here and rock chips can be a problem, but I had rust on my front bumper after the first few months of owning the vehicle brand new.

General Comments:

These user forums are a great way for upset customers to "vent". I'm venting. I bought this vehicle brand new off the lot. I've had fluids changed and levels checked routinely. I am very disappointed in the major repair work needed on a vehicle that only has 41500 miles. I don't off road, and I do very light towing (10 tows per year maybe). A big SUV should expect poor gas mileage, but don't expect much more than 13mpg. With gas prices up it's costing me about $40 per tank to drive less than 300 miles. I'm afraid to say that this is my first American made vehicle and probably my last.

Review Date: 21st April, 2003

19th Jan 2009, 19:56

I've not heard great things about Durango's either.

Ironically, the Ramcharger, the predecessor of the Durango gets 15mpg (heard of people getting even more with a light foot), despite being much larger and heavier with much older technology with little or no microchips, and has a reputation for low maintenance and the ability to take abuse.

I have a '78 I'm restoring, didn't take much to get it running again, glad I didn't go for a Durango.

1998 Dodge Durango XLT 4 X 4 5.9 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.9 V8 Automatic
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

Beautiful, but flawed workmanship

The paint started falling off the second we drove out of the dealership. It was peeling off in sheets, and the dealer nor the manufacturer would even help us cover the cost. Cost us $3000 to redo all the paint in the original color, which has been discontinued.

Just today the water pump failed and the rear differential is on its way out.

All leather seating is deteriorating faster than any other leather I've ever seen.

The transmission always revs too high, and no one can explain why to me. I've been told it's not a problem, but I can't believe that.

General Comments:

I am appalled at the way Daimler/Chrysler are dealing with this flawed vehicle. Everyone I've spoken to has told me that these are common problems, and that the manufacturer is in no way entitled to help us.

My feeling is that when I spend $30,000 on a vehicle, it should run great and be made with superior materials. Not to mention that the paint shouldn't fall off!!

I love the idea of this car, I just am so disappointed in the machinery and workmanship.

Review Date: 20th April, 2003

12th Jun 2003, 23:51

I to recently purchased a used 1998 Dodge Durango 4 x 4.

My truck has a 5.2l motor and it cannot pass up a gas station. I get about 14 mpg. I feel that I bought a junk truck.

12th Oct 2003, 23:59

I bought a used 98 Dodge Durango six months ago. I am not very pleased with this vehicle. My engine roars every time I take off from a stop position, when my A/C is running. Is this normal? MY mechanic said it was. The roar gives me very poor gas mileage, around 11 miles to the gallon. Anybody else have this problem?