1998 Dodge Durango SLT from North America

Summary:

This is a defective vehicle

Transmission replaced at 65,000 miles. At 80,000 miles, torque converter failed, ripping front seal causing car to smoke and leak transmission fluid. Steering column replaced, freeze plugs replaced, ball joints replaced at 80,000 with premature wear (no surprise there) ; evaporator replaced, condenser replaced, tie rods replaced, power windows repaired 2x, speed sensor replaced, and much more.

General Comments:

Waiting for the engine to go and that will be the icing on the cake. Over $13,000 in repairs since we bought the vehicle. Thank goodness for extended warranty.

Review Date: 5th May, 2004

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9 V8 Magnum from North America

Summary:

Smooth ride perfect for the not so small family on the go

Nothing!

I have yet to have one single thing go wrong.

I cannot say what the first owner had go wrong as it was a dealer buy.

The truck is in tip top shape.

General Comments:

I replaced an aging Chevy Astro with the Durango for many reasons. The stylish look of the Durango is a real head turner even for a 98. I had been looking at other vehicles as one reviewer said there are not a lot of them out there as used vehicles. I love the quiet smooth ride and all the options makes it an even better vehicle for the money and horsepower.

The gas mileage sucks, but for a V8 was told by other truck owners 15.6 on street and highway is really quite good.

I have no complaints with my Durango. I have 3 kids, it fits us fine with room for stowing other things and groceries to boot in the back. I am looking forward too many more miles with my Durango and the repairs that will eventually come. I purchased my truck from a dealer for 14,427 and I feel we got a great deal for it! My husband and I are a Mopar family, and will continue to be.

Review Date: 3rd April, 2004

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L from North America

Summary:

Perfect transportation until 10,000 miles

Severe tire wear 15,000miles.

Ball Joints shot 18,000miles.

Evaporator leaked 37,000miles.

Rear end had to be rebuilt 38,000miles.

General Comments:

All the power in the world as long as you keep giving it all the gas it wants.

Review Date: 21st March, 2004

11th Nov 2004, 12:57

It sounds like you beat the hell out of your Durango to me.

I've had mine for 3 years. Has 107,000 miles on it and the only thing I have replaced are the ball joints.

1998 Dodge Durango from North America

Summary:

This vehicle is not worth the money

Since 100k miles, replaced the water pump, oil pump and screen, front ball joints and arms, front differential housing and rings and pinion, transmission lines.

General Comments:

If I had paid the $28,000 sticker price for this truck new and had all these problems I would be furious. I did buy it used and I got good service out of it until it hit 100k miles, but, the price of this truck new should at least guarantee you 200k miles before replace the above expensive items.

Review Date: 9th February, 2004

30th Dec 2004, 12:26

I own a 1998 V8 dodge durango... at this point it has 80k and runs like a dream. I have been through some tough weather with it and my durango has taken good care of me. as long a the vehicle is well maintained, it will last.

25th Dec 2006, 19:35

Well mine has 170000 miles on it and runs like a champ! never been able to get it stuck!

26th Mar 2007, 14:35

I have a 1998 Durango with the 5.9 and it has 150K on it. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned and has cost me very little in repairs. Very tough truck.

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2 V8 from North America

Summary:

A excellent compromise on size, cost, power, and mpg

The computer sensor was replaced at 68,000 miles.

The transmission had a leaking gasket at 65,000 miles.

General Comments:

The 4-wheel drive and the powerful V8 come in handy.

I love the spacious interior.

Without the 2nd AC unit, it sometimes takes a while for the inside to cool down in the summer.

Review Date: 2nd December, 2003

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2 from North America

Summary:

Definite money pit...unreliable!

Loss of oil pressure, valve noise... numerous check engine lights, power window failures, transmissions problems.

General Comments:

Any way to put a Chevy drive train in these lemons? Kits available?

Review Date: 11th November, 2003