1998 Dodge Durango Reviews - Page 11 of 20

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 318 from North America

Engine and transmission 318 Automatic
Previous carDodge Durango

Summary:

A wonderful joy to own and operate!

Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with this vehicle.

I did however have to replace the upper and lower ball-joints prior to state inspection. This was expected.

General Comments:

This is the second during we've owned. The first one was also a 1998 but with a 360V8 instead of this one's 318V8.

We sold the first one so we could buy our 1998 Dodge Ram.

Anyway, we love our each of our Durango's. These SUV's have a unique look that sets them apart from all of the "Me too wannabees".

Before anyone can claim that we're biased. Let's set the record straight. We've owned vehicles from all the big three and most every import under the sun with the exception of Mercedes, Volvo and Saab.

All of the Dodge's we've owned were by far the most reliable and dependable vehicles.

Someone else posted that these vehicles aren't for the casual owner who habitually avoids routine maintenance. I may tend to agree. I'm a skilled and disciplined 'shade-tree-mechanic'. All of my vehicles are extremely well maintained.

I would strongly recommend the Dodge Durango to anyone willing and able to maintain what is a fine SUV!

It's got more than ample power out of the box. There's after-market support to improve stock power and suspension if you so choose.

Bottom line: This SUV tows like a gorilla is strong and blasts through 2-foot deep snow effortlessly.

Only suggestion: Get rid of the stock Goodyear Wrangler tires and upgrade to BF Goodrich AT/KO's!!! You will love your SUV :)

Review Date: 15th July, 2003

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L V8 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 5.2L V8 Automatic
Previous carMazda B2000

Summary:

An expensive, undependable piece of CRAP with good tunes and plenty of comfortable seating!

The stock battery had to be replaced at a rate of 1 per year until the warranty expired whereupon I installed a non-OEM battery. My family was stranded twice from this problem.

Intake manifold gasket blew at around 4,000 miles.

Torque Sensor (?) failed at about 10,000 miles. Transmission would not shift from 1st gear while in "Drive".

Air conditioner developed a "leak" at about 12,000 miles. It's been quoted as a $1,000 repair. I continue to replace leaking refrigerant.

The brakes are inadequate on this truck!! Leave yourself plenty of stopping room!!

Passenger window motor has worked intermittently since about 5,000 miles.

Bypass hose blew at about 65k, leaving my entire family stranded on a long trip.

Water pump seized immediately after replacing all hoses because of above.

Brand new serpentine belt was ruined by the seized water pump above.

General Comments:

I love driving this car. It's not as fast as I'd like. But, it merges on highway very adequately.

I've spent FAR TOO MUCH MONEY on this car in repairs and replacement transportation (rental) costs. I've spent too much time tending with repairs.

Daimler/Chrysler needs to lengthen their warranty and provide loaner cars during warranty repairs. They might then feel some pressure to increase quality control on this vehicle.

Review Date: 9th July, 2003

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Previous carNone None

Summary:

It's a money pit

The modern day Edsel...

At 500 miles, ABS brake failure. Dealer could not find anything wrong.

At 1200 miles window solenoids on two rear windows failed, took four months to fix because of backorder parts. Failed again at 41000 miles, dealer would not cover under warranty.

At 3000 miles, the engine is still hard to start. Dealer says nothing is wrong. Fuel pump replaced (out of warranty) at 38000 miles and vehicle starts right up.

Oil pump failure at 4500 miles. Caused by leaking intake manifold gaskets. Dealer refused to fix under warranty due to neglect (I had not had the dealer change my oil despite the receipts from Jiffy lube).

4500 miles leaking intake manifold gaskets had to be replaced, again at 23000 miles.

12000 miles had to replace front calipers (not covered under warranty) because of piston caliper failure. This was due to the rear brakes that never worked (ABS). Fixed at the local Goodyear shop.

18000 miles transmission begins to leak and slip.

22000 Chrysler finally recalls the radiator fan which sounds like a jet airplane.

37000 miles rust shows on window trim and starts to eat into the body. Not covered under warranty.

42000 miles, first transmission failure resulting in rebuild, not covered under warranty.

45000 miles Second brake failure results in $8000 worth of damage to the Durango. Body shop does a great job of repairing the Durango, but the fan roar is back.

51000 miles, Wheel speed sensor failure. The repair on that fixed the ABS problem!

62000 miles, brake caliper failure.

69000 miles, second transmission rebuild after getting stuck in one gear. No more dealer repairs after this point.

71000 miles, window solenoids in both rear windows stopped working again.

72000 miles, Second fuel pump fails.

82000 miles. Transmission failure.

General Comments:

Second Chrysler product I have owned. Both were absolute crap. Stay away from these vehicles.

Review Date: 29th June, 2003

18th Aug 2004, 23:48

I own a 1998 durango slt 4x4 with the 5.9. I currently have 136,104 miles. the only thing on the engine that has been replaced is the filters, belts, and fluids. On the transmission, the fluid and the speed sensor. Had to replace the speed sensor in the rear end, but that's my fault; was foot-braking it and got some wheel-hop and that messed it up. I just replaced the original shocks, all four original ball joints for the hell of it. Replaced the original calipers 200 miles ago only because I was upgrading the rotors and pads and decided to replace them while I had it apart. I do need new clutches in the rear end, but that's due to my stupidity.