2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4.7 from North America

Summary:

Beautiful car/junk motor

After about 2 months I noticed it started running hotter. The dealer recommended a new water pump and thermostat; replaced both, still ran hot. The dealer recommended a new radiator and new hoses; replaced all that. I asked for a compression test, maybe head gasket, and the dealer said it tested OK on all cylinders.

I tried to get Dodge in on the problem because I found out they made a change in Oct. 2002 on the 4.7 engine, and again on the 2004 4.7.

I had an engine flush, still ran hot, finally used the car sparingly, always ran at top notch just below hot. Going to work one morning, the vehicle started missing, pulled over on the side of the interstate, steam coming out of the exhaust, smelled like antifreeze, turned off the motor, checked oil, oil and antifreeze half way up on dipstick. Tried to start the vehicle, slow to start, knocked loud and quit.

I have been hunting for a replacement engine, used or re-manufactured. It seems there is only one year 2003 Durango engine that will work because of the 16-32 tooth crank ring and EGR valve change on 2004 models, and all sellers say the 4.7 was junk and they are double the price on 5.2 and 5.9.

I have a beautiful red and black yard ornament called SXT. Dodge should have a recall and I would be happy to pay the labor if they furnished parts. Since I have bought a Chevy Silverado for me and a Mustang for my wife. I had always driven Mopars since 1972, but no more Dodges for me.

General Comments:

Sitting in yard, drawing looks at the sign I placed on it saying Dodge is selling junk and they know it. We get about 14000 cars a day on the road a day passing by. Until Dodge does the recall on 4.7, I will try to get in their pocketbook. After all, I spent more than 4000 dollars on a car that I can't drive, and I belong to AT&T alumni that has 225000 members and when I make a post, all can see it. It seems Dodge forgot about social media.

Review Date: 26th November, 2014

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 5.7L from North America

Summary:

Solid, Dependable Vehicle

Had to replace the blower motor switch - same problem I have read of elsewhere.. The blow motor runs on high, but not on any other setting - even that's intermittent. Had to fix the wiring harness to it as well, as it had melted to the switch.

The switch was a while 15 bucks at the dealer - but the wiring harness repair kit was 60.

General Comments:

It has tons of power, no lack there at all. Runs smooth, no problems starting. It has a very solid feel and from years of being a auto hobbyist, I can tell the engine is quite solid. Maintains consistent operating temperature, doesn't use a drop of oil. No funky little noises and none of that 'cheap vehicle' feel. Plenty of room in it and it has the best heater and A/C I've ever had in a car.

Stereo was decent, but I think the CD lens was out of whack or the rails it rode on were binding somewhere as it would skip here and there. Radio itself was fine otherwise - it was a great excuse to get an after market stereo :)

I'd buy another without a second thought.

Review Date: 4th March, 2009

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4x4 4.7 SOHC V8 from North America

Summary:

Very nice SUV for the money, however it has its minor problems

Rear drivers' caliper failed at 35k, 3 days after we bought the truck. Was replaced under the 90 day dealer's warranty.

Blower motor resistor pack failed at 50k, replaced with new one, and started to fail at 72k again, only high speed works now at 75k. Can no longer use heat now due to strong burning smell & smoke emitting from the heater vents.

Upper ball joints are creaking, need to be replaced. Previously were replaced under a recall.

Camshaft position sensor failed at 55k.

General Comments:

Other than the problems we had, it's pretty reliable. It rides nice, aside from the ball joints creaking when turning. It's got plenty of pep for a 4500lb SUV, enough to give the little rice rockets in town a scare. The gas mileage... not so good. I'd say it averages 13-14 City, but Highway is pretty good.

Review Date: 31st January, 2009