2003 Dodge Durango SLT from North America

Summary:

Best car I've ever owned

I love this car. This is the second Durango I had. The first was a lease. We didn't do anything to it. No oil changes, no maintence... never had a problem. We purchased a 2003 in May. Absolutely love it.

The changes that have been made have only made it more comfortable. Great for the kids and dogs. Holds lots of stuff. Especially being a soccer mom, it's great for the road.

The only complaint is the gas mileage. It only averages 12 miles to the gallon. But if you are buying a SUV, you know this.

General Comments:

Great is snow --- live in New England and I have driven it in a blizzard.

Very comfortable.

Basic sound system has been improved.

Very roomy.

Big center console.

Review Date: 12th September, 2003

28th Jun 2004, 23:11

All the positive comments, and praise for this vehicle seem a bit over the top. It seems like they were written by someone at Dodge trying to wipe the tarnish off the reputation of a poorly designed SUV.

My wife and I have just had our first child (A boy) and we were very interested in the Durango, being that I drive a 1995 Chevy Silverado, and my wife drives a Mercedes 190e, and neither vehicle is easy to get in and out of with the car seat. The Durango seemed to be a no brainier, but after reading a bunch of reviews of this SUV, I would not put my mother in law in this vehicle.

I guess what they say is true" Chevy, like a rock " yup. I have had very few problems with my truck and it has over 150,000 miles, and gets the crap beat out of it in the desert many times a year, and is still my daily driver.

You may want to read some of the reviews that other people have written about your beloved Durango.

Oh yeah, how is the soccer season in New England? Sounds cold, you have your kids play soccer in the snow?

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7 from North America

Summary:

Problems with 68 miles on it!

We purchased a brand new Dodge Durango SLT on Saturday, May 10th 2003, it drove perfectly at the Dealers. The next day, Sunday, with 68 miles on the car, it had no power and made a loud noise in the engine. We called the dealer immediately, and they helped us over the phone by telling us to turn the car off & on to reset the computer, this fixed the problem temporarily. The next day, Monday, going to work, this problem happened again. To make a long story short, it's now sitting in the shop for the 3rd time for the same thing, I haven't had it 1 month!

The Durango is somehow putting itself in 4wheel LO while in 2wheel drive after you start it up, just on acceleration (cold) is when it acts up, and it's sparatic, and sometimes it runs fine for up to 3 days.

When in the service dept, the computer gave no error signs so they couldn't pin-point the problem right away, but after 3 days they thought they'd fix the problem by updating the computer. Well, it didn't fix it, and 6 days later back in the shop, this time it acted up for them, and they replaced the transfer module case. Now a factory transmission is ordered. I refuse to have a transmission put on the car with now 1,300 miles on it! it's been one headache after another. I've had the car 27 days, and it's been in the shop 14 of those days. I can't believe this has happened to us! plus it's the most expensive vehicle I purchased at $36,000. My best car was my GEO Spectrum (made by Korea, ran 8 years, in shop once, I ran it until the end for that car), then my GEO Prizm (made by Toyota, I had 6 years and traded in for a 4x4 when I moved from San Diego to New Hampshire (it hated snow!), and I never had it in the shop.

General Comments:

I purchased the Durango after hearing great things about the car from friends and my relative (sister-in-law) who owns one and loves it.

I was told they're mass producing cars so fast now-aday's, a lot of mistakes are being made.

I will say, during the 13 days of actually having the car, it's a very comfortable, smooth riding vehicle! and love the roominess.

The Dealership and Service Dept. have been wonderful with us, and trying to resolve the issue.

I'm starting arbitration proceedings and demanding my money back.

Review Date: 7th June, 2003

19th Dec 2003, 19:00

What about the lemon law? Sounds like you should get a new vehicle.