2003 Dodge Durango RT 5.9 from North America

Summary:

This SUV is junk

May 2008:

ABS module

Rear wheels brake cylinders

Rack and pinion

June 2008:

Driver's side power window motor

July 2008:

Transfer case

Left hub bearing

October 2008:

Right front CV joint.

General Comments:

Lots of power, but not worth the money or time to consider buying one.

Not reliable. Be prepared to buy stock in a rental car company.

I also have a 1989 Honda Accord that has 320,000 miles that has been more trustworthy than this pile of metal, which would be of more use in a scrap pile.

Review Date: 19th October, 2008

2003 Dodge Durango SLT+ 4.7 Magnum from North America

Summary:

A great powerful SUV

When I came off the freeway, the steering wheel got stiff, but went away after away. It was because there was too much power steering fluid in it, and it got a couple of air pockets in the system.

General Comments:

It's a great SUV. Big, but not giant such as an Expedition.

It looks the best in the Patriot Blue color with a silver metallic trim and a chrome grill.

I raced a new Audi and the Durango won, and this is only a 4.7 liter.

Great power for an SUV and most cars.

Review Date: 5th October, 2008

2003 Dodge Durango SLT+ 4.7 from North America

Summary:

A safe tough vehicle that drives larger than it is, but very comfortably

Nothing wrong except that this vehicle is not recommended if you plan on doing your own maintenance.

General Comments:

Lots of torque power.

Hard on gas in the city, but very reasonable on the highway.

Absolutely recommend a regular service schedule; not something you can let slide, especially concerning transfer case fluid changes.

Review Date: 24th July, 2008

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L from North America

Summary:

It is a zero

The front right wheel fell off at 50,000 miles. Defective wheel bearing.

Of course I got that wonderful engine knock at 70,000 miles. Sludge build up. Unless you change the oil every 500 miles, you will get sludge build up in a Durango.

General Comments:

Daimler Chrysler had a great opportunity to capture a significant market share with the Durango. Right vehicle at the right time.

However, the engine has a design flaw that permits oil sludge to build up in the engine. My mechanic says it is a defective oil screen.

Instead of owning up to it and making the repairs, Chrysler took the big corporation hide behind the lawyer tactic.

Makes one suspicious about Chrysler and Mercedes in general.

Review Date: 6th June, 2008

2003 Dodge Durango LST 4.7 Magnum from North America

Summary:

Excellent

Nothing.

General Comments:

This has been the best car I've ever owned.

I change my oil every 3,000, and had the transmission flushed at 50,000 just as preventive maintenance.

But overall I love this truck; 4hd is great, and the comfort is awesome. I will have this truck till the end.

My cousin has the same one, and he has 250,000 miles. And never had a problem.

Review Date: 28th February, 2008

2003 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4.7 V8 from North America

Summary:

Roomy, comfortable, and fun to drive

Only problem I've had is the left tail light going out and I don't mean just a bulb, but the whole thing was fried.

Other than that, no problems.

General Comments:

I love our Durango.

It's quick off the line and great at passing slow vehicles when I need to.

It's got enough room for our family of 5 plus room for two more.

I bought it from a dealer 1000 miles away and when I drove it home, it was the best drive I've ever had. Usually on long drives, my back starts to hurt and I get very uncomfortable, but not once did I have a problem like that while driving the Durango.

The only negative thing I could say is that the gas mileage is terrible, but that’s the trade off for having something this nice.

Review Date: 30th January, 2008

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L from North America

Summary:

Beauty, Brawn and Bling!

Not a thing. It was certified by Dodge, and I bought the extended warranty with rental coverage to 80K miles.

Engine and transmission are tough and sound, suspension is tight and responsive, and I really like the 4 wheel disc brakes compared to the rear drums on my 2,000 SLT.

General Comments:

This is my second Durango. I purchased both used. Sure the first one, a 2000 SLT Plus 5.9L had a few warranty issues like front ball joints, 2-3 gear shift valve and squeaky leaf springs, but I always buy the Dodge extended warranty -- net cost to repair after 36K miles: one deductible of $100 and a one day rental.

It broke my heart to trade it in on a Pacifica, but we needed more passenger space flexibility in a primary vehicle.

My current one is a 2003 SLT 4.7L, bought with ~48K miles. I traded our smaller Japanese SUV for it. Some have said the Durango is a jack-of-all-trades and master-of-none, but to me that represents flexibility. I can haul cargo or people, deal with snow and ice, and beat just about anything short of a Corvette off the line.

I commute in the DC area, and the agility the Durango provides makes lane shuffling much easier than in my previous rice burner. It looks great and offers a great elevated view of the road ahead.

For my money, the 98-03s are so much better looking than the new Durango; I'm glad I locked in an '03 for the foreseeable future.

Review Date: 9th February, 2006