2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Reviews

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan from North America

Previous carDodge Caravan

Summary:

Excellent value and comfort, poor resale

Nothing.

General Comments:

This is my second Dodge Grand Caravan, and overall I have been very satisfied with the vehicle. It's comfortable, reliable and ideal if you have a family. The only complaint I have is that they have poor resale value.

Review Date: 17th July, 2013

19th Jul 2013, 19:58

I have had many Caravans myself. They are very reliable and practical. They usually make it 300k or more with good maintenance and not towing trailers all the time. Poor resale value is great for me, as I always buy used, no complaints there!

In the used market, the Dodge Caravan is really the best buy, as they are very popular and there are always plenty for sale.

Chevy, Toyota, and Honda minivans hold the best resale value, which is why I never buy them; too expensive compared to a Caravan in the same mileage/age/condition, as well as less reliable and less cargo space.

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT from North America

Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission SXT Automatic
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Outstanding vehicle

Rack and pinion steering at 37,000 miles.

Water pump at 60,000.

General Comments:

I see there are mixed comments on the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT; I wanted to add my two cents.

We have loved our Dodge. It is the most comfortable and convenient car I have ever owned, and I have owned many. It is well-designed, and thought out - a joy to drive and ride in.

Reliability has been better than my 2005 Honda Accord - not perfect, but not bad. It drives like a luxury car - extremely comfortable and stable.

Review Date: 12th March, 2013

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L from North America

First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 3.8L Automatic
Most recent distance112000 miles
Previous carDodge Grand Caravan

Summary:

The best in class van. I am

Battery - All electricals stopped working or behave erratic.

Steering noise in cold start - Power steering fluid reservoir tank's filter choked.

Slipping serpentine belt noise.

Driver's side brake caliper. Front brake shoes and rotors.

General Comments:

This is my third Dodge. I have been so pleased with Dodge, that I am a loyal customer and would remain loyal always.

My first Dodge Voyager was lost in accident, and I did not get a chance to use it much, but the second one I bought was 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. I bought it in 2004 at 109K miles. It went up to 183K miles with zero (yes zero) problems. Everything kept working on it right with factory original parts under the hood until its transmission died 2010.

Then I found 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT at 103K miles with sto and go option for $7K (not bad at all). The van was in overall good condition, however I had to change tires and some of the parts I mentioned above that went wrong till date. Mostly I was able to diagnose the issue by reading articles on the net and watching youtube clips, and got the exact part replaced.

After the above fixes, the van is running super smooth, and I am very sure that it would give me rock solid service, as was provided by earlier vans. I must mention that I always use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil only, which probably helps in keeping it in good running condition. Besides, I am not a die hard fan of proactive repairs. I repair something only when it breaks completely or there is an exact solution available on the net (faced by someone earlier). This helps in saving lot of money, which otherwise dealers and mechanics try to steal by misguiding customers most of the time, under the disguise of proactive maintenance.

Review Date: 19th February, 2011

20th Feb 2011, 08:34

I recommend that anyone driving 2005 Dodge Grand caravan should replace a) Battery < $100, b) Power steering reservoir $35 - flush fluid during this change c) Serpentine belt $40 and d) use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-20w oil.

You will be so thankful that you did above and gave fresh lease of life to your van. These are most common issues that start impacting after 5 to 6 years of use. Rest all is good.

16th Sep 2012, 08:06

Back again. Its current reading is 125K and going great. No other issue has surfaced so far. The van is running smooth and just on regular Mobil-1 full synthetic oil replacement.

1st Aug 2013, 16:15

Current reading: 133K, developed a power steering fluid leak. Was advised by a mechanic to change the whole power steering assembly (could not expect mechanics to ever suggest a cheaper solution). Used Lucas Stop Leak; in about six months the leak was gone completely. No other issues so far. The van is super reliable and going great.

27th Sep 2013, 05:00

Here is a link to the part (power steering reservoir) in case someone wants more info. I bought from Amazon and had my mechanic put it in...