2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 from North America

We'll probably keep it till the wheels fall off

The engine was "knocking" when we bought it new. Even my wife could hear it. Mechanics could not hear it, said it was "OK". We took it on a 1200 mile trip, knocking was worse so we took it back in. They still said they couldn't hear anything. So I raised the hood and revved the engine, it sounded like it was going to come apart; mechanic said it was the lifters, I disagreed, but said they could try to see if it would help.

Three days later it was ready to pick up and my wife drove it home. I stayed to talk to the service manager to express my disagreement. As I left the dealership, I saw a dark stream on the road going the same way my wife went. I flew home (15 miles) only to find our new van in the driveway in a huge cloud of smoke. I had a screaming fit on the phone to the dealer. Before he arrived with a loaner and a towtruck, I raised the hood and saw the obvious problem... mechanic forgot to put a clamp back on the heater hose. They wanted to fix the hose and give it back saying it would be OK, I refused. After much screaming and yelling, I got a new engine. I had them pull the pan on the old (1500 miles) engine while I watched. A rod bearing was fried on #2 cylinder! The dealer gave me a 100000 mile warranty.

Steering has a popping noise as you turn. The first mechanic said it was an upper strut bearing. Fixed it, but about 2000 miles later, it started on the other side. I told the service manager that it sounded just like the last time, so it's probably the strut bearing. He said no, its the tie rod. No fix, next time the ball joint, no fix. Next time the sway bar bushings, no fix. Then the other tie rod, no fix. Then both inner tie rods, no fix. Then the rack and pinion assy, you guessed it, no fix! Mind you, every time I told them about the first time. 120000 miles on it now and still popping. I'm going to change it strut bearing myself.

After the mechanics changed the rack and pinion, the "check engine" lite came on. Read the code and saw a problem with the evaporative system. Took it back, they forgot to hook it up when they had replaced the rack and pinion. After that, the lite was OK but every time you shut the car off after a drive, it would "moan" for about 3 to 5 minutes. Took it back several times, they couldn't find it before it went away. About the same time, found it hard to fill the tank, it would shut off before full. I didn't put it together until I had pulled in to fill the tank, shut off the car. Popped the gas cap and the moaning quit. Took it back to the dealer and told him to look at the at the evaporative system. Then they found they had crimped the vent hose on the evaporative canister.

The AC has never worked for long or very good. Loses about a can of freon a month. Dealer never could find it (hoses, valves, compressor), so I add a can every so often.

The side doors are auto. But for a long time, the passenger door would go nearly shut, then go back open. Finally after two motors, two tracks and several rollers, they replaced the electronic sensor that senses if something is being shut in the door, good fix.

General Comments:

Believe it or not, we still like the van.

Gas mileage is 22 to 27.

Great ride.

GPS works great, we travel a lot.

Voice command Blue Tooth is OK.

Sto'n Go is ideal for hauling stuff.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2009

20th Dec 2015, 01:25

"Finally after two motors, two tracks and several rollers, they replaced the electronic sensor that senses if something is being shut in the door, good fix."

Can't believe how unprofessional this dealer is. It was obvious the sensor was faulty, yet they are replacing 'all tires and the muffler' before getting to the issue.

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan from North America

We bought our Caravan used, it had 33,000 miles when purchased. We now have 78,000 miles on it. Everything was so wonderful with it until now.

We have replaced brakes, and rotors all the way around the vehicle.

We have this annoying squealing when we brake, and sometimes when we are driving down the road.

We are replacing the EGR valve now.

We have just put new tires on it because they are wearing, but only in spots.

Now after the new rotors and brakes, when we are driving at 50+ mph there is a humming and vibration coming from the front brake (seems to only be on the drivers side). We've had the tires balanced twice just in case they weren't done right, but that didn't fix our problem. Any suggestions on what this might be?

General Comments:

I honestly love my Caravan, I wish we could figure out all of our problems. We owned at Windstar before this and I wouldn't own another one.

I just want my car to drive like it did when we bought it.

Review Date: 15th June, 2009

16th Jun 2009, 05:06

Check the wheel bearings - that's a very possible cause of humming, especially if the noise comes just from one side.