2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L from North America

Summary:

Poor design - poor construction - poor overall quality

- Both cupholders on middle Stow-n-Go seats broke shortly after car purchase.

- Tilt wheel mechanism broke at 14000 miles.

- Electronics randomly go haywire requiring computer reset by dealer.

- Power sliding doors sometime refuse to open as if parental override switch set (which it is not). Turning off car and re-starting usually fixes problem.

- A/C evaporator line leak through firewall behind front passenger carpet area developed at around 50000 miles - mold everywhere!

- Final straw - engine gave up the ghost at 83000 miles (infamous oil starvation problem discussed on various Net blogs).

General Comments:

Out of warranty. Currently looking into replacing engine with re-manufactured unit just to facilitate unloading for small net gain!

Will never buy Dodge again...

Review Date: 20th May, 2010

21st May 2010, 11:33

...And people wonder why Chrysler filed for bankruptcy protection and needed a bailout.

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SX from North America

Summary:

It sucks

The brakes on my 2005 Grand Caravan have been replaced 3 times. Only has 50,000 miles on it. Also had to replace the tires already.

Has been at the dealer 3 times these past 5 months.

Had to replace the ERG valve, water pump, thermostat & gasket, serpentine belt, rear brake cylinders and master brake cylinder (I do daycare and my brakes failed on me; way to go Dodge). Still under warranty; a $100 deductible each time. Cost $1,000 for me for stuff not covered.

Why is my Dodge having this many issues at 50,000 miles?

Will never buy a Dodge again. Do not recommend this car. A minivan is supposed to be made as a family vehicle; it almost killed me and cost my family too much to repair.

General Comments:

Sadly an awful car; just check all the reviews.

Review Date: 13th April, 2010

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L from North America

Summary:

Awful

Had problems with the lights not working. Took it to the dealership, and they could not find anything wrong with it. The lights only worked if you turned on the brights or used the fog lights.

Took it in for the scheduled services religiously. After it had over 80000 miles on it, the alternator sounded like it was about to fall out and made a weird noise. The struts in the front had went out before it had even hit 80000, and it was going to cost well over 1000 dollars to get that fixed.

Just recently traded it in for the 2010 model, because it did have over 118,000 miles on it, but you would think with the services, there would be no problems, but the check engine light was on, and came to find out it had a blown head gasket that you could not see, due to the fact there is little to no room underneath the hood to work on or see anything on the engine.

If you're gonna buy the 2005 model used, be sure you look at it thoroughly first.

General Comments:

It was roomy, that is all. Handled really good until it got a lot of miles on it.

Review Date: 18th February, 2010

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 from North America

Summary:

This van is the worst vehicle I have ever owned

I purchased this van used with 25,000 miles on it from a reputable dealer, and even got the Carfax report for it.

A month after I bought it, the steering rack began leaking fluid. I was told $800-$1000 to repair.

Shortly after that, the electric door locks quit working. I was told the BCM (body control module) needed to be replaced at $600.

A few months later the right turn signal wouldn't self cancel. I assume it needs a new switch in the column. No cost estimate on that.

Then the ABS light appeared on the dash, indicating the ABS module to be defective. Another $800-$1000 repair.

Most recently the heater controls went out. I cannot move the air flow from dash to defrost. I am told the vent control motor is bad and that the dash has to be removed in order to access the heater box to make the repair. Cost estimate around $1,000.

The front end is now making the clunking noises associated with bad bushings. The van now has 34,000 miles on it, and I wish I had never seen it.

General Comments:

I have had five Chrysler minivans and have had good luck with all but this 2005 Grand Caravan. I am very disappointed with this vehicle, and believe the factory should have recalled them and fixed the problems that seem to be so common place. I will never buy another Chrysler product ever.

Review Date: 8th December, 2009