2000 Dodge Intrepid sedan 2.7L engine from North America

Summary:

So terrible nothing is good about the car

Sludge build up too much in the engine...

General Comments:

It is a terrible car. i would never buy a car like this again.

Review Date: 4th August, 2005

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.2L from North America

Summary:

Beautiful, great riding and handling, but has a fatal defect

Wind noise because of door seals that shrunk at 35,000 Miles. Dealer repaired under warranty.

Complete rack and pinion steering assembly failure at 59,900. Dodge offered NO assistance. estimate 1000 to repair.

General Comments:

This car looks great and handled great for about 50,000 miles. The engine and transmission have been trouble-free and smooth. The fit and finish of this car was fair when purchased. Great trunk space and comfort. At 50,000 miles, there was a noise (bottoming sound) coming from the firewall when going over small bumps. The steering wheel developed about 3-4 inches of play and the wheel had to be continuously centered. New tires and alignment did not correct problem. After a few more weeks, the steering began to bind up in turns. There was a louder noise and the wheel had to be fought to get centered. I called Dodge and wrote 3 emails and they refused to even consider repairing this obvious defect under courtesy. As I researched this issue, I discovered that there are hundreds of complaints of premature steering failure in LH models. Dodge hotline acted as if they never heard of these problems from anyone, but there is a class action suit going forward. I have been quoted 800-1000 for replacement of this obvious defect. Dodge (now German owned) will lose my business.

Review Date: 30th July, 2005

1st Aug 2005, 10:24

If your steering goes out at say 70 mph, it could be fatal or "deadly" as you so sarcastically referred to it. Also fatal could refer to the car. My car had a fatal engine failure at 57,561 miles. Fatal as in it was dead.

2nd Aug 2005, 12:08

I have a 2001 Dodge Intrepid and had to replace the engine at approximately 35,000 miles. Luckily my extended warranty paid for it the first time. I was told by the mechanic that there was a "write up" about the engine's having a lot of sludge build up. There was no warning at all, it just started making a knocking noise right before the engine failed. Well, they put a used engine in the car with approximately 5000 miles on it and it just happened again about 60,000 miles later. I have been getting regular oil changes and without a warning it started "knocking" again. So now I am stuck without a car and still owe $7000 to the finance company.

2000 Dodge Intrepid Base 2.7 from North America

Summary:

Runs fine; no problems

Window regulator broke and was fixed under warranty, but I had to pay for a new window.

Back door lock made a weird sound and was fixed under warranty.

It overheated on the freeway one time. It had an air bubble (?) and I paid $20 to have system "air charged."

Its been running fine ever since.

General Comments:

I guess I've been lucky because I've had no problems out of my pretty girl, except overheating on the freeway that one time.

Its big and roomy; looks sexy and aggressive. And when it gets washed, its looks brand new (inferno red) even after 5 years. Plus there's no chrome on the car at all (except for my chrome hubcaps).

If anything DOES happen to the engine, I'm planning on putting a 3.2L in her. I'm not getting rid of her anytime soon because I like having a bigger car.

Review Date: 28th July, 2005

2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7L V6 from North America

Summary:

Poor management, design and quality. Avoid DCX at all costs!

The timing chain failed at 60,100 miles due to oil sludge build-up.

General Comments:

Even though I maintained the car as directed by the manual, the engine still failed.

I sent letters to the CEO of Chrysler and a rep called me and asked what it cost to repair the engine. I told her that after two months of calling and complaining that I had to trade it in on another car to have transportation (I took a $3,000 loss on it). She said that since I didn't own it any more there was nothing that DCX could do.

Thanks for the screwing, Chrysler!

Review Date: 21st June, 2005

26th Aug 2005, 11:30

I had the exact same problem with my Dodge Intrepid!! Not even 70,000 miles on it and the engine is shot due to timing belt problems and engine sludge. I purchased mine used. It's prior life was that of a rental car. After checking around, I found out it would cost $3500.00 for a rebuilt motor, and this doesn't include labor. I had to resort to purchasing a 1992 Toyota Camry so I can get back and forth to work and so far it's a much more reliable vehicle with over 192,000 miles on it. It will be a cold day you know where before I buy American again. Run as fast as you can from this car!!!