2000 Dodge Intrepid Base model 2.7L (Death engine) from North America

Summary:

Do not buy a Dodge with 2.7L engine!! Don't buy used or new until you research!!

Engine blew up 3 months after I purchased the car.

I must now replace the oil every 1500 miles, or risk blowing another engine. I have spoken with several mechanics (and oil change specialists) and they all tell me they have heard many horror stories about this engine.

Have replaced the automatic door lock actuators in three of the doors.

Have replaced the power window motor in two of the doors.

Suspension is terribly loud in front--I have replaced the tie rods on both wheels, and am saving up to replace the sway bar.

Lock on trunk easily rusts over.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!! DO NOT BUY A DODGE WITH A 2.7L ENGINE!!

General Comments:

I am 6'4", so the car appealed to me with it's roomy, cab-forward cabin. The power drivers seat was comfy, and I fit well into the car.

However, the engine has been a nightmare. Though I was lucky enough to have the first replaced engine covered under the extended warranty, I live in constant fear that the "new" rebuilt engine will blow up on me at any minute. I change the oil so often, I could probably have afforded a down payment on a new car if I had skipped the cost...

Comfortable car, lots of room, but it is not a reliable car that you can count on. At worst, it can even be a dangerous car--search the Internet for examples of suspension failures and engine fires.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!! DO NOT BUY A DODGE WITH A 2.7L ENGINE!!

Review Date: 10th October, 2006

11th Oct 2006, 01:13

Why did you change from the Grand Marquis out of curiosity?

11th Oct 2006, 08:38

Why don't you use synthetic oil and change it every 3,000 miles? You should be safe with that.

12th Oct 2006, 10:23

Why don't you look into suing Chrysler under the lemon law?

12th Oct 2006, 16:32

I heard that the 2.7 on the Dodge Intrepid/ Chrysler Concorde built up sludge due to a faulty design.

4th May 2007, 12:53

I have a 1998 Chrysler Intrepid with a 2.7L engine which I have owned since January 1998 (9 yrs, 4 mos.) It has 236,000km (147,500 miles).

I took it to the dealer today for a spring tune up and oil change and I mentioned it had started to misfire when driving on the highway at speeds of 110-120km (70 mph) after 45 minutes. of driving. The service technican called me back this afternoon and said I need a new (rebuilt) engine which will cost $5,500!!! Comes with a 3 year / 60,000km (37,500 mile) warranty.

I decided to check the internet and found this site and I am amazed at the number of problems people have had and are having with this car. I will think about it over the weekend and I probably will not proceed based on the information supplied on this website.

Many people mention a class action lawsuit? Is there a website I can go to?

Thanks.

2000 Dodge Intrepid Base 2.7L V6 from North America

Summary:

Very Reliable with 137,000 miles!

Power door locks froze on driver side front and rear doors.

Brake light switch failure.

Replaced shocks/struts.

Trunk light has a kink in the wire, and sometimes doesn't light when trunk fully open.

General Comments:

This car is very comfortable, and super roomy. I have put almost 100,000 highway miles on this car in the last 6 years, and it is still running strong. The transmission is sluggish off the line unless you floor it. Passing power is pretty good... better with a K&N air filter. Overall, the most reliable car I've owned.

Review Date: 10th October, 2006

25th Apr 2007, 11:09

I have 118,000 miles on my 2000 Intrepid (2.7L) and have started to have the types of engine problems that almost every other owner of this car have had in varying degrees: engine light on, constant stalling, lack of acceleration. I hope to nurse this car to 160,000 miles with synthetic oil changes every 2000 miles. I urge you to use synthetic oil (Mobil One is best) if you are not already. Otherwise, your 2.7L motor will sludge up and fail despite its 137K miles. Also, once you switch to synthetic you should never switch back to regular oil. Good luck with your Intrepid. It looks like you got a better than average one.