2000 Dodge Intrepid 3.1 from North America

Summary:

Amazing

In matter of fact nothing has gone wrong with my car. The only problem I have with it is that when I crashed it, after it got repaired it has minor problems. But what car doesn't after a crash??

General Comments:

The car has great accereration and it handels the road pretty smoothly.

Review Date: 5th October, 2007

2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 from North America

Summary:

An accident waiting to happened

I would like to join the rest in the many problems dodge has with their cars. It seems to me that the only thing a Dodge is good for is to throw them as far as you can.

To begin, well I have had to replace 2 door lock actuators at the tune of 30 a piece; they are not new, they are used; the only place to find it.

A radiator fan as well, and the fuses that go along to turn it on.

Also a new transmission along with a new radiator and window motors, not to mention the rotors, brakes.

All of these repairs happened within 2 months of buying the car. Also the left wheel bearing.

Anyway just to say I christened this car a FRED (******* RIDICULOUS ECONOMICAL DISASTER).

No way will I ever buy a Dodge or Chrysler; no wonder the germans don't want it. GOOD FOR THEM.

General Comments:

The car is the most undependable in the market. The only thing that sounds great about the car is the name, but as far as being a good old AMERICAN car, I would not have called it. Dodge and the Intrepid is an insult to our beautiful AMERICA.

Review Date: 15th August, 2007

16th Aug 2007, 20:46

I feel your pain... I have a 1999 Dodge Intrepid that I purchased from my husband's Grandfather. I never realized what a piece of car this car was.

Good news is that I traded it in on a Toyota!!! So it should be gone by Monday.

I have replaced sensors; the fan works on high only; A/C stopped working again; struts are still making some noise in the front end that no one can figure out. I don't think that I am getting the money back that I spent on repairs.

20th Aug 2007, 09:18

I am so dissappointed with my dodge Intrepid 1999. I just got it a couple of months ago. I has already seized and I am so frustrated. It will cost almost $4000.00 dollars to repair it. It is a beautiful car on the outside, but ugly on the inside.

2000 Dodge Intrepid from North America

Summary:

Terrible--Dodge should be ashamed!

Car heater will not work when idling.

Air conditioner no longer works.

Oil light flickers when idling.

Mechanic inspected the radiator and it is full of sludge. It looks like light colored peanut butter!

General Comments:

Well it looks like I'm getting ready to have my engine go on me as well. The mechanic who looked at my car yesterday (to fix the heater, I thought) told me and showed me that the radiator is full of sludge. It looked like light colored peanut butter! My air conditioner broke about 3 months ago, and since my last oil change the oil light flickers when idling.

I have two questions -- Is there a class action lawsuit? And is it worth replacing this engine with a 3.2 or 3.5?

Please email me at amyv@script2000.com if you know the answers to either of my questions.

Thanks so much!

Review Date: 21st January, 2007

22nd Jan 2007, 05:56

I own an Intrepid with the 3.2l engine and no problems so far. The car has 180k kms and over the last 5 years of ownership the total amount of repairs cumulated with the maintenance (timing belt, water pump, brake pads, etc) is roughly 1500 CAD, so talking about reliability, I would give to this car a 9 (on a 1 to 10 scale). What you have to understand is there are two types of engines on this car. The timing belt ones (3.2l and 3.5l and they are very similar except the bore and also they ere among the best and reliable Chrysler engines) and also there is the 2.7l that is chain driven and this one has a huge flaw of design and I'm talking about the oil passages inside, and is prone to built oil sludge. My advice is, if you like the car generally (the space, the look, how it handle) go for the engine replacement (of course with a 3.2 or 3.5) and you will have a huge benefit in the next years in terms of quality. If not, scrap it because the sale price will not cover the total cost of repairs (if you will go for the 2.7l engine). Bottom line, I know that this swap is possible.

7th Apr 2007, 18:11

It sounds like your head gasket is smoked. And yes, definitely DO replace the engine with a 3.2 or a 3.5. Even if it's just a head gasket and your head/block isn't cracked. It'll only cost a few hundred dollars extra to do the swap, and you won't have to worry about your new engine failing on you.

And if it's the worst case scenario, if you're suffering from the notorious 2.7l sludge problem, then don't even consider putting another 2.7l in it. The 3.2 is a direct swap.