2000 Dodge Intrepid RT 3.5 High Output from North America

Summary:

Very sporty for a big car

Radiator replaced at about 98,000 miles. Everything else has been pretty much routine.

General Comments:

The 3.5 High output engine has plenty of power. Has a great sound for a six. No not like a V8. I have had great service from this car. It's still a joy to drive!

The suspension is a little stiff, but it is an RT.

I've been really happy with this car (I guess because I don't have the Mitsubishi 2.7 liter engine).

Review Date: 31st March, 2010

2000 Dodge Intrepid RT 3.4 from North America

Summary:

Junk... will eventually leave you stranded

The motor went.

The air conditioning quit.

The driver window mechanism quit working, so I could not roll the window up or down.

Paint was chipping.

The trunk quit operating properly.

General Comments:

I at first liked the look of the car, it has the subtle lines of a muscle car.

It handles very nicely.

It just gave no notice that things were as dire as the motor going, until it just overheated while I was out of town. That was a costly tow bill home.

Then there were the constant little things about the car, something was never working quite right.

Then there are the brakes, it seems they need to be changed regularly.

A nice looking car with a comfortable interior, but will eventually leave you on the side of the road.

Review Date: 25th March, 2010

2000 Dodge Intrepid 3.2 from North America

I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid ES, and have had it for 4 years now.

Although I was a first time buyer and paid out the *** for it, it's been dependable enough to rely on it.

Every year I put a large amount of money in it, and have had the same knocking sound every time I go over a bump, dealer after dealer have told me it's a tie-rod.. so of course I replace it.. but the noise continues.. so I go to another mechanic.. and guess what, it's the rack and pinion; came to find out it was only an inner tie rod bushing that had fallen out..

I would definitely buy another Dodge in years to come; I only hope the customer service and honesty can be trusted!!

Really disappointed in all the lies from dealers!! Don't trust em.

General Comments:

It's been a GREAT car, aside from the well known problems.

Review Date: 10th January, 2010

11th Jan 2010, 10:59

It's not always "lies" by dealers and service departments. I believe it is most of the time "first guess" diagnostics. But either way it unnecessarily costs the customer money and it damages a shop's reputation.

I suggest you find a reputable independent mechanic and use the dealer only for warranty work.

11th Jan 2010, 19:28

I agree with the previous commentor. Sometimes mechanics will make there best guess on what a problem could be. Usually it's because the owner of the vehicle having the problem wants to be in and out of the service department as quickly as possible. Sometimes letting the dealer work a little longer on something will let them do a better job of finding the actual problem.

2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 from North America

Summary:

Great car

Water pump went out at 125000 miles, so I had the timing chain replaced when they did this.

This has been a good car. Changed the oil every 3000 miles.

Gets good gas mileage; 26-27 in town, 30-32 on the road.

Had to put an air conditioning compressor in at 177000 miles.

General Comments:

Seats are very comfortable.

Great gas mileage.

Great handling car.

They should still make the Intrepid.

Review Date: 18th September, 2009

2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7? from North America

Summary:

Very roomy, and good looking car, but a P.O.S!

Well, first off we had to replace the cam sensor, and we also have replaced the crank sensor; I have learned that those are quite a problem with the Intrepid.

We also had to replace the window arm, as it did lock up and shatter my window... thanks a lot.

It burns oil and now is starting to try and overheat, and the thermostat housing now needs to be replaced.

General Comments:

I absolutely love the look of this car, and it has to be one of the roomiest sedans I've ever been in. But from what I've learned, and personal experience, this particular year and model Intrepid has a lot of kinks that were never worked out. It's kinda funny when you go to a Dodge dealership to look for replacement parts on a 9 year old car, and the parts we came for, they keep several in stock. Ha.

Review Date: 28th August, 2009