2000 Dodge Intrepid Reviews - Page 3 of 39

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.2 from North America

Previous carChevrolet S-10

Summary:

Great engine and chassis, crappy transmission

Transmission had to be rebuilt at 86000.

Transmission cable broke at 147000.

Driver and passenger side power windows broke 138000.

Other than that, just routine maintenance.

General Comments:

My dad owns a Subway franchise, and he bought this car in November 1999 to commute amongst his three stores in Marlow, Anadarko and Lawton. He wanted a big car for the family, that was fuel efficient. He bought the Intrepid cause it fit the criteria, and he loved the way it looked.

We have a big family of five, with my mom being the smallest at 5'8 140, and me the biggest at 6'4 205, and we could all fit in this car in relative comfort on big trips.

The car has excellent handling, especially considering the size (almost as big as a Town Car), and on the back roads to Anadarko it will easily hit long sweeps at 95 mph+.

It is also a great highway cruiser with supportive seating, plenty of head and leg room, and that 3.2 just loafs along. It will run 3000 rpm at 100mph.

I run Royal Purple and added a K&N cold air intake. I see between 19-21mpg in the city, and on the highway between 27-32mpg; depends on the highway. If it's the interstate at 80mph I'll see 27-28, but going to Anadarko at 65, that bad boy will see the lower 30's; not bad for a 17 foot long car.

My only complaint is the transmission; it really needs one more gear, and the tranny just saps too much power, besides being unreliable.

Review Date: 22nd June, 2009

2000 Dodge Intrepid Base 2.7L from North America

Model year2000
Engine and transmission 2.7L Automatic
Previous carDodge Caravan

Summary:

Very reliable, comfortable, good looking car

EGR valve replaced at 200,000 kilometers.

General Comments:

Roomy interior.

Cavernous trunk.

Handles very well.

Lots of people seem to have trouble with the 2.7 engine, but this one has over 290,000 kilometers on it, and it still runs like new. I have used synthetic oil since 85,000 kilometers, and have had no problems. I change the oil every 10,000 to 15,000 km's (sometimes more), and do it myself, so it costs less than $30 with the filter, as I stock up on oil when it's on special.

The car has required very little maintenance, and almost no repairs. It still has all the original suspension components and even the original exhaust system!! It has been used as a daily driver for the past 7 years since I've owned it.

I live in eastern Canada, so the weather and temperature extremes (-30 to +30 C) will put any car to the test, and this one has passed with flying colors. Regular rustproofing treatment has kept the body like new.

I don't know what all those people who are having problems are doing with their cars, but reasonable maintenance and calm driving seems to do the trick.

Review Date: 29th May, 2009

22nd Sep 2009, 16:09

Update: just passed 300,000 kilometers, and still no problems.

25th Nov 2012, 13:59

Update: 400,000 kilometers and I still don't have to add oil between changes (which are around every 15,000 kms). This is an amazing car!!

2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 from North America

Distance when acquired192000 kilometres
Most recent distance232000 kilometres
Previous carDodge Taurus

Summary:

My opinion the 2.7 engine could have been better built. They don't last long enough

When I bought the car I had to replace the transmission bearing on the driver side. I also replaced the EGR valve in 2006 to pass the emission test.

Now the car has 232,000 km; very loud knocking noise after warm up on idle. It goes away while driving or higher rpm.

The garage saying it's the engine needs to be rebuilt and a bad lifter.

General Comments:

I like the car. It handles very nice, and I love the ride.

The 2.7 engine was quick, with good response.

The car has a sporty look.

I also like the seats; very comfortable for me.

Review Date: 19th January, 2009

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.2L from North America

Model year2000
Engine and transmission 3.2L Automatic
Distance when acquired42000 miles

Summary:

It is a lemon

My speedometer stopped working a couple of months after I bought the car.

Window was off track.

Car would cut off every time I made a right turn.

Then engine began to knock a year after I purchased it.

General Comments:

This car was a lemon from the beginning. Unfortunately, I did not have a warranty, because the dealership said they needed $1,200 cash. I didn't have it, but I thought because it was only at 42,000 miles, that it would last at LEAST a year. I was working two jobs and going to school, I explained my situation to the salesman, and that's why he chose the Intrepid for me.

Ever since I bought this car I have majorly regretted it. As a result, my car has been sitting since July 07, due to engine damage. I maintained the oil changes and other maintenance issues in a timely manner.

Can someone please send me info on the class action suit, I would like to be a part of it. My email is Crystalf25@gmail.com

Someone Please Help!!