2003 Dodge Neon SXT from North America
Reliable for me, but not much fun
I really haven't had any problems with this car. Mechanically, everything has been fairly sound.
This really isn't that bad of a car. It is no Toyota Celica, that's for sure, but it could be worse. I purchased this car when I didn't have an option (long story), but it has served me well.
- The original tires on this car are horrible. I replaced them @ 15000 miles with new ones and haven't had a problem since.
- The seats are very difficult to clean if you get them wet. I had a gallon of milk 'sweat' onto the seat and have had a weird white ring ever since. Note: No milk actually touched the seat.. it was just condensation from the jug.
- The seats are not the most comfortable. I can handle my 50+ mile/day commute, but when I drove the 1000 or so miles to Atlanta my butt was killing me!
- The speakers and radio are fairly impressive. I did replace the stock deck with an after market deck, but only to run my subs, and only after I had the car for over a year.
- The brakes are *horrible* after it rains. They have squealed from day 1. Apparently brake dust is the cause, but my neighbors hated when I worked at 6am because the noise was enough to raise the dead... and was embarrassing, to be frank.
- As with many American cars, it just started sounding rough after about 50,000.
I really don't have any complaints about this car. I never really like Neons, but this car has served me well. As I said before, it's no Toyota, but it wasn't as bad as some people made it sound. I do not doubt for one second that some people have had horrible experiences with them. My former fiance had a '95 neon which was reliable as a go-kart. If you go into this car knowing that it is a 'snap-together' car and not a BMW, and service it as such, it's an okay little car. Was it as fun as my Celica? Heck no... but it got me to and from work.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 8th August, 2006